Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3335 3336 [3337] 3338 3339 ... 10984

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13196162 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #50040 on: May 24, 2014, 06:21:53 am »

Point being, muzzer fookin' necromancy in da' haus. We totes revive deadbros, and we even do it with harnessed lightning sometimes. Victor can suck it -- we got dis shit down.

Though there is admittedly room for improvement. Still. Doin' pretty good.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #50041 on: May 24, 2014, 09:38:51 am »

...Hmm. Interesting question: Is someone's consciousness dead if that happens, and then restarted? You know, the problem with the whole teleporting thing? Or is it preserved? Brain activity doesn't cease does it?
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50042 on: May 24, 2014, 10:09:55 am »

Cardiac arrest is a thing though. And both CPR and defibrillation are key methods to restarting the heart. Brain is still going however, although it has at most minutes if intervention is not swift.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #50043 on: May 24, 2014, 10:14:53 am »

The brain has seconds when the heart stops, not minutes.

And yeah, when the heart and lungs stop hasn't been death for several years already. By the very nature of how the word "Death" needs to be used in the medical field odds are we'll never actually revive people. At least in a legal sense, since as soon as something becomes reversible, death needs to be redefined.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50044 on: May 24, 2014, 10:22:56 am »

And yeah, when the heart and lungs stop hasn't been death for several years already. By the very nature of how the word "Death" needs to be used in the medical field odds are we'll never actually revive people. At least in a legal sense, since as soon as something becomes reversible, death needs to be redefined.
Hmm. Wikipedia assures me you have five minutes until brain injury occurs; very short indeed, but a little bit of time. But either way, yes: Death is basically defined as the point of no return. The farther that gets pushed, the muddier things are.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #50045 on: May 24, 2014, 10:26:47 am »

That's because, in most situations, blood flow doesn't stop completely. It's just severely hampered.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50046 on: May 24, 2014, 10:27:42 am »

If your heart has stopped they use CPR and/or epinephrine to try to restart it.

Hmm. Wikipedia assures me you have five minutes until brain injury occurs; very short indeed, but a little bit of time. But either way, yes: Death is basically defined as the point of no return. The farther that gets pushed, the muddier things are.
I think she meant that the brain basically stops functioning within seconds of you cutting off it's oxygen supply. But yes, it does take minutes for it to actually start permanently killing the cells.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #50047 on: May 24, 2014, 10:29:03 am »

Actually, it's not oxygen that's the problem, it's sugars. The brain consumes quite a lot of those.

Not sure though.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50048 on: May 24, 2014, 10:32:49 am »

The horror of using the word "whack" as the attack verb.
This brings new meaning to the phrase "fighting the zombie".
I spent around 15 minutes reading that, wondering WTF I'm reading, and almost missed that line.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50049 on: May 24, 2014, 10:52:44 am »

Actually, it's not oxygen that's the problem, it's sugars. The brain consumes quite a lot of those.

Not sure though.
You might be more right than I am, I'm not really sure. Makes sense though.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #50050 on: May 24, 2014, 11:02:28 am »

From what I understand, CPR isn't intended to restart your heart. It's like breathing manually for the person. Pumping air into their lungs, and then manually pumping their heart to distribute it to the rest of the body. Keeping their organs and brain oxygenated as much as possible until actual medical attention can arrive.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #50051 on: May 24, 2014, 11:06:45 am »

EDIT: I was under the impression oxygen WAS the problem, seeing as you'll fall unconscious almost the instant deoxygenated blood hits the brain. Such as when you're in space without breathing apparatus.
Yes, but there's quite a lot of oxygen in the blood, and less sugars. If blood circulation stops, you run out of sugars first, then oxygen.

Not sure about any of this though.

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50052 on: May 24, 2014, 11:12:43 am »

From what I understand, CPR isn't intended to restart your heart. It's like breathing manually for the person. Pumping air into their lungs, and then manually pumping their heart to distribute it to the rest of the body. Keeping their organs and brain oxygenated as much as possible until actual medical attention can arrive.
Well it can restart someone's heart if, for example, they were drowning or under certain other circumstances.

But most of the time in a hospital setting, if someone's heart stops beating it's because the amount of oxygen the heart is absorbing isn't enough to keep the heart pumping more oxygen in (typically this is due to issues like low blood oxygenation, or anemia, or bad heart health issues).

So you treat that by injecting epinephrine, which is the throttling mechanism of the heart that gets the heart to beat faster by causing the tissues to absorb more oxygen. Thereby allowing it to function better with less.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #50053 on: May 24, 2014, 11:53:35 am »

Slight correction: Dr. Kellogg's brother Will actually founded Kellogg Cereal, after the two had a falling out. Yes, the cereal formulas were mostly his brother's but now with 90% less crazy!

They were both Seventh-Day Adventists (which has a lot of obsession with diet and strict moralism), but where John Kellogg started a non-profit to promote eugenics and racial segregation, his brother founded two colleges (Cal Poly Pomona and Kellogg College, Oxford). Much hoopier frood than his bro.
Wow, how did I miss this conversation? The Kellogg brothers basically built my hometown. If you want an interesting read about those two, look up the Kellogg Sanitarium. Crazy shit right there.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #50054 on: May 24, 2014, 11:54:49 am »

Revising for Physics, I stumbled upon a Christian forum where people were seriously arguing we live on the inner surface of a sphere, with sun in the centre.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.
Pages: 1 ... 3335 3336 [3337] 3338 3339 ... 10984