Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3428 3429 [3430] 3431 3432 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13170365 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #51435 on: June 13, 2014, 10:15:22 pm »

Well, I'll let you know when I'm able to use my newfound knowledge :P

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51436 on: June 14, 2014, 03:22:38 am »

I've never heard of any of those words, sans cheese and bowlderization, either.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51437 on: June 14, 2014, 03:26:39 am »

Clearly you guys don't listen to enough music. :(
I guess Rickenbacker is a bit more obscure than a strat, but still. Also I don't know car-fu but I know what a Studebaker is, partly thanks to my mother's knowledge of old cars and a bright yellow, beautifully restored Studebaker I saw once with a bumper sticker saying 'Do it in a Studebaker'.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51438 on: June 14, 2014, 03:28:47 am »

Fairly certain that listening to music doesn't let you instantly know the brand of the guitar that's being played.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51439 on: June 14, 2014, 03:30:43 am »

If you do any research on the bands/musicians you like it does.
Booze is Life for Yoink

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51440 on: June 14, 2014, 03:32:07 am »

What if my favourite band only plays accordeon and kazoos?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51441 on: June 14, 2014, 03:33:41 am »

Well then, I expect you to be able to name a few of the brands of accordions and kazoos that they use!
Also we have rather different tastes, as much as I like a bit of accordion from time to time.
Booze is Life for Yoink

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #51442 on: June 14, 2014, 03:39:06 am »

I hadn't actually considered the idea of brands of musical instruments before, myself.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51443 on: June 14, 2014, 03:41:55 am »

Assumptions, Yoink. I don't do favourites, it means I have to pick one thing over another and I'm terrible at that kind of decision.

So anyways, you know the names IF your favourite band uses one (fair enough), IF you did research on them (quite possible), IF it's written wherever you're looking at (I dunno about other people, but I'd rather lok at what songs they've made rather than the instruments they use) and IF you deemed it actually worth remembering (which probably means you care enough about the subject to know the brands beforehand anyway).

So yeah, listening to more music doesn't correlate well to finding this stuff out.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51444 on: June 14, 2014, 03:45:42 am »

Well, mostly where I've read about the instruments used by bands would be in music magazines and such, or I've listened to musicians themselves talking about their gear- you're right, knowing a band's equipment isn't integral to listening to them.
I'm mainly just shocked that one could go through life without even knowing what a stratocaster is, given just how many people use/admire them and what an icon they are. Even Wayne's World (thanks LSP) featured one prominently!
Booze is Life for Yoink

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51445 on: June 14, 2014, 03:51:15 am »

I've never Wayne's World. In fact I was about to list a bunch of stuff that I've never watched/read but since I'm not a hipster I'm just gonna save everybody's time and only gonna mention that I'm still avoiding Bohemian Rhapsody like the plague just to spite Remalle.

Common knowledge can bite my arse.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #51446 on: June 14, 2014, 03:52:34 am »

I'm going to go with Darvi on this one - I don't really care about the instruments in proportion to the music. Listening to more music probably won't make me more interested in musical instruments.
That said, people who are interested in musical instruments might start to notice differences between brands if they listen to enough.

Common knowledge can bite my arse.
I've never Wayne's World.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #51447 on: June 14, 2014, 04:03:15 am »

Yeah, everything I know about guitars I didn't learn from anything related to actual bands. It was all through incidental TV/movies and whatnot. Maybe a little learned from musicians saying a little about it before performing.

Also I don't think I've ever actually looked up anything about any band, nor many musicians, at least not in relation to my listening to the music (sometimes other reasons, like hunting up similar bands or whatnot, though). Certainly not enough to know anything about their preferred instruments. That sort of info adds absolutely nothing to music to me, and I don't actually give a damn about who makes the music, just the music itself. So :V

Honestly, the concept of researching a band is almost foreign to me. I mean, discography or tour route maybe but... why anything else? It probably helps the concept of a favorite band/musician is equally foreign to me. Like. One? What the hell. That isn't possible. There's probably two or three dozen tied for first (most of them from entirely different genres), several times that tied for second, and another order of magnitude tied for third. And all of them are actually in a squiggly non-state of ranking where they're all in a cloud of "listen to this". I mean, I'd go homo for Tchaikovsky even if it meant a sex change, but it's less his awesomeness than the generalized fog known as "Eastern European Composers".

I just... don't comprehend the concept of researching bands I like. Or actually liking bands, really. I like music. Bands are of interest strictly to the extent they continue to produce it and are likely to produce similar quality/sound.

Also I probably shouldn't be trying to make a coherent point on the subject when I both don't really have one beyond vague noncomprehension and am trying to do so when it's four in the morning. So enough typing, have at thee.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #51448 on: June 14, 2014, 07:26:06 am »

Meh, I don't play the guitar.

I wonder exactly how many people here do. Or any other music thing. From the top of my head, me, Putnam, Glloyd, Max White (IIRC), Pnx, Th4 mentioned learning piano... I think there used to be a thread for that, but it seems to have died four years ago.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #51449 on: June 14, 2014, 07:35:49 am »

I can play piano.
I'm kind of a stereotypical asian I know.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Pages: 1 ... 3428 3429 [3430] 3431 3432 ... 10983