Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3447 3448 [3449] 3450 3451 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13169944 times)

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #51720 on: June 16, 2014, 08:51:36 pm »

Kinda' feel sorry for that effective grad student, though. Big opportunity for whoever it was, and interoffice politics crushed it. Maybe (probably) for the better, insofar as the organization's effectiveness goes, but... poor critter.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #51721 on: June 16, 2014, 08:54:11 pm »

Yeah, she was apparently just one of a bunch of people who applied and got selected because manager wanted someone she could push around.
This is probably biased since this is mostly from conversations I've overheard.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #51722 on: June 16, 2014, 09:02:04 pm »

I'm walking around the cafeteria today, completely focused on finishing as much of a HW as I can before the deadline, and I hear people behind me talking about the last day of school. Which I then suddenly realized was in fact, today.

I've been so buried I don't have the perspective to remember it's about to end again. Hmm.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51723 on: June 16, 2014, 10:24:59 pm »

Power just turned off and on in a bit less than a second. Wasn't the whole house though, my monitor went off but my computer stayed on, TV in the living room went off but hallway lights stayed on. No reason for that to happen either.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #51724 on: June 16, 2014, 10:28:27 pm »

If you're in North America, it's probably mayfly/June Bug (same critter, different names). They tend to play havoc with the power grid this time of year, and it is fairly common for this to take out one "leg" of a house's power.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #51725 on: June 16, 2014, 10:29:10 pm »

For some reason, monitors and TV's seem more sensitive to power fluctuations than anything else. I know that every time the vent motor in my bathroom in the next room over turns off (it's on a thirty minute timer when you turn it on) the TV I use as my monitor flickers and shuts off for a second.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #51726 on: June 16, 2014, 10:30:48 pm »

People in online games like to call me Putman. Where do they get Putman? Putnam isn't an uncommon name. It's not even corrected by my spellchecker.

Steelmagic

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity makes everything fun!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51727 on: June 16, 2014, 10:32:36 pm »

If you're in North America, it's probably mayfly/June Bug (same critter, different names). They tend to play havoc with the power grid this time of year, and it is fairly common for this to take out one "leg" of a house's power.
Well, I'm in North America, so that was probably it.
When i say "I'm no expert but..." It means "I have no idea what the hell I'm talking about but I'm going to try to sound like i do."

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #51728 on: June 16, 2014, 10:42:43 pm »

People in online games like to call me Putman. Where do they get Putman? Putnam isn't an uncommon name. It's not even corrected by my spellchecker.
I always read your name as Putman, even though I know it's Putnam.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #51729 on: June 16, 2014, 11:09:06 pm »

Uh, no, not at all the same thing. June bugs are iridescent green beetles, mayflies are disgusting little flying worms (which fish love).

vs.

Though if I had to guess which one you mean, it'd be the mayfly, because those swarms get huge and disgusting. :x

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51730 on: June 16, 2014, 11:19:05 pm »

Yeah, can confirm FD's report.

When my family lived in Arizona, we had a pool in our yard, and the pool filters always got clogged with dead junebugs that fell into the pool... and can't get up!

Mayflies are freaky, some species (the ones around here) look like giant mosquitoes without probosces which makes it even worse. The good news is that unlike a lot of flying insects they can't do anything except freak you out and crawl on you (and thus freak you out), because they literally can't eat anything because they mouthparts don't work. This is also why adult mayflies are famous for being short-lived.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #51731 on: June 16, 2014, 11:22:35 pm »

Mayflies are one of my favorite type of bugs.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #51732 on: June 16, 2014, 11:29:10 pm »

Mayflies are one of my favorite type of bugs.
They kill themselves on their own!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #51733 on: June 16, 2014, 11:32:42 pm »

Which is why they're my favorite type of bugs.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #51734 on: June 16, 2014, 11:34:54 pm »

I had a really interesting time trying to cook a hamburger today (this should be in the rage thread too).

Backstory: Today was my parents' anniversary, they went out together to celebrate, dad said I should cook a burger. He just forms a bunch of burger patties whenever we have spare ground beef and keeps them in the freezer, ready to cook when someone needs one for a meal.

Today I opened the freezer to get out a patty to cook. I missed the stack of burger patties, but I did find the pound and a half of unformed ground beef in a different bag. For some reason I thought it was just two patties frozen together (they look big before cooking, then shrink as they lose fat, so it wasn't unreasonable) and began trying to saw them apart with a knife. When that didn't work, I decided I would just have two burgers, figuring they would be easier to separate once they thawed.

Well, the "patties" still didn't separate. However, bits and pieces of the beef mass were starting to crumble off. I realized the mass was too much for one pan and separated it into two. The two separate masses were still too big - and since they were never formed into patties in the first place, they cooked into little beef nuggets instead. So I wound up with two giant pans of flavorless (having simmered pretty much all the fat out) beef scraps. Instead of getting mad, though, I made the most of it and decided to make sloppy Joe-type sammiches.

Under the belief that I had two burgers worth of meat, I tried to put all the beef scrap onto two buns. It didn't work. At this point I finally realized I had more meat than I thought. So I called my dad up, apologizing for messing up his dinner, and asked him how many patties he had in the bag. He said "A bunch". I told him I only found two, and then he somehow realized that I had found the unshaped-beef bag instead, and politely told me that there were the actual patties elsewhere in the freezer and that I had instead found the pound and a half of non-patty ground beef.

I then added that I had messed up cooking it. Instead of getting mad, he just told me to seal the rest up and use it to make taco filling or chili sometime. So that went better than expected. Still not pleased with spending, ultimately, two hours failing to make a burger, but eh.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.
Pages: 1 ... 3447 3448 [3449] 3450 3451 ... 10983