Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3511 3512 [3513] 3514 3515 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13006205 times)

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #52680 on: June 28, 2014, 08:56:02 pm »

If she had the repair disk that came with her computer you might be able to revert to factory.  That might make it like a new computer without the bill.   Will need to back up pictures and documents first of course.

It was a previously owned computer. The only thing that came with it was the power cord, which she had to pay for alongside the cost of the computer.

And there is nothing on the computer worth saving.

Moghjubar

• Bay Watcher
  • Science gets you to space.
    • View Profile
    • Demon Legend
« Reply #52681 on: June 28, 2014, 09:08:12 pm »

Grab windows key (if its not firmly attached to the case) using a program, download/burn an install disk if you don't have one, backup things you want to external hd or USB (preferably in safe mode with networking, can do a full disk image if necessary).  Reinstall entire thing.

If you want to go the extra mile, blow out the case fan cause its probably clogged too (man I've seen some bad ones).  And lightly wash laptop with a damp-not-wet, lightly soapy rag so its filth doesn't stay upon it.
Steam ID
Making things in Unity
Current Project: Demon Legend
Also working on THIS! Farworld Pioneers
Mastodon

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52682 on: June 28, 2014, 09:21:20 pm »

It doesn't actually have a fan. Not on the bottom nor on any of the sides.

And again, nothing worth saving. Actually, nothing has even been saved, aside from all the adware and viruses.

Plus the hardware is most definitely not up to par. It would be best to get something functional instead.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #52683 on: June 28, 2014, 09:26:42 pm »

>Laptop with no fan

Well no wonder it runs like ass.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #52684 on: June 28, 2014, 10:04:38 pm »

I do believe that is the other definition of craptop.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52685 on: June 28, 2014, 10:07:00 pm »

>Laptop with no fan
What the hell kind of laptop is this?

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #52686 on: June 28, 2014, 10:12:11 pm »

A laptop that proves the woman who owns it is at least part wizard, considering the fact that it still runs.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #52687 on: June 28, 2014, 10:29:40 pm »

We're all wizards at this point, but no, no, a laptop actually can (do note, can =/= will) run for quite a while without a functioning fan. I had an acer laptop that went something like 4-5 years like that, and didn't even have the decency to die, in the end -- I upgraded to something else. Admittedly, I picked up a handful of first degree burns  over its post-fan lifetime -- hot metal is hot -- but still. It worked.

Now, if the laptop literally has no fans and no exhaust ports, damn. I don't even know what to think about that. Are we sure it's actually a laptop and not, in fact, some kind of fancy TV that's mimicking one? Perhaps there are tiny demons inside, rapidly painting new scenes on the monitor.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #52688 on: June 28, 2014, 10:33:47 pm »

We're all wizards at this point, but no, no, a laptop actually can (do note, can =/= will) run for quite a while without a functioning fan. I had an acer laptop that went something like 4-5 years like that, and didn't even have the decency to die, in the end -- I upgraded to something else. Admittedly, I picked up a handful of first degree burns  over its post-fan lifetime -- hot metal is hot -- but still. It worked.

Now, if the laptop literally has no fans and no exhaust ports, damn. I don't even know what to think about that. Are we sure it's actually a laptop and not, in fact, some kind of fancy TV that's mimicking one? Perhaps there are tiny demons inside, rapidly painting new scenes on the monitor.
And the demons feed on malware and ads?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52689 on: June 28, 2014, 10:39:47 pm »

Of course, the best anti-virus there is: the infernal souls of the damned!

I think I've found the fan, actually. There is a tiny grate about 1.5 cm by 2 cm in the back left corner of the laptop. Air seems to come out of it, at least.

Nowhere near large enough to help much though. Not a laptop that you want to put in your lap.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52690 on: June 28, 2014, 10:53:17 pm »

With the current subject I decided it was about time for me to get a windows 8 CD.  So I check Digital river and see that microsoft never made the .isos available there.  A quick google search shows I can get them from the windows 8.1 upgrade option.  So I do that.

It wants my key, I put it in and...  It doesn't accept OEM keys, and tells me I need to purchase a retail copy in order to access the upgrade (as well as obtain windows 8 and 8.1 .isos).

WTF past self.  I know I was too buzy to go through the trouble of a computer build back then, but how did you not do the research to see that Microsoft decided to give manufacturers full sodomy rights to anyone who buys a prebuilt windows PC?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Karkov

• Bay Watcher
  • There's been a distinct lack of Praisin' recently.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52691 on: June 28, 2014, 11:02:57 pm »

Greiger, just a friendly heads up.  Windows 8 is basically Satan incarnate.  It's really not worth a damn.  I've worked with a couple of them, trying to repair them, and my mother owns one.  Stick with 7 if you have it.

(You might've been saved by those weird proprietary Windows installations.)

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52692 on: June 28, 2014, 11:04:24 pm »

all windows is same

it just runs more or less shit, but in the end, it's all the same damn thing

you could probably install 98 and get away with it after severe registry modifications to make it "modern"

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #52693 on: June 28, 2014, 11:09:57 pm »

So, in this town, there's a church just about every block. One of them had a sign today that said "Obedience is better than sacrifice". I thought for a few seconds about how that was probably the most ridiculous platitude I'd ever heard, there isn't really a comparison to be made there, but then I realized: what the hell did Jesus do??? He sacrificed himself to the Romans so that others wouldn't suffer for his disobedience! Are they saying Jesus made a mistake for doing what is the basis of their entire religion?

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #52694 on: June 28, 2014, 11:16:27 pm »

Greiger, just a friendly heads up.  Windows 8 is basically Satan incarnate.  It's really not worth a damn.  I've worked with a couple of them, trying to repair them, and my mother owns one.  Stick with 7 if you have it.

(You might've been saved by those weird proprietary Windows installations.)
Yea I tended to somehow always end up with the shit windows versions.  Before this I had Vista. Before that, ME. I've always managed to wrangle them into workable shape though.  I had vista looking and behaving like XP and now I have 8 looking and mostly acting like 7, complete with old school start menu.  I have disks for 7, but no computers with a key.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2014, 11:18:54 pm by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!
Pages: 1 ... 3511 3512 [3513] 3514 3515 ... 10974