Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3548 3549 [3550] 3551 3552 ... 10981

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13151949 times)

Lyeos

• Bay Watcher
  • Guess who isn't back
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #53235 on: July 05, 2014, 10:48:33 am »

The last bit is entirely unrelated, though. Wrong, yes, but unrelated.  :-\
The first, it's a legitimate concern of a parent. There are times when you're gonna be kinda dumb and leave your child in the car if it's small - say, you're just outside of the car busy working and don't have somewhere else to put the kid that's safer.
Take a closer look at this text!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #53236 on: July 05, 2014, 10:49:35 am »

Researching the temperature for a child to die is something I'd find reasonable behavior for any parent, out of worry or morbid curiosity. Visiting the child-free subreddit, what, 4 times, suggests that he was getting frustrated*, yeah, but unless I missed some additional information, it's not as if he was posting about his plans to murder his child. And sexting 6 women, at least one of them a minor, is definitely shitty behavior, and I hope he's punished for it, but he was doing so during work if you look into the actual case, and "Leaving a child in the car while at work" is a common enough fuckup that it happens a couple of dozen times every year in the United States.

*EDIT: It could also suggest that he wanted to troll them or otherwise feel superior, for much the same reason that people read r/Atheism. Keep in mind that people who knew him said he loved his child, and was the kind of parent to talk proudly about his kid all the time.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 10:52:03 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #53237 on: July 05, 2014, 10:51:42 am »

I think it mentions somewhere in the article he did all of this in the same day, though.
Admittedly, it's entirely possible I'm wrong and he didn't know the child is in the back, but still.
Ah, here it is
Quote from: The Article
However, the police warrant accuses Harris of not only researching child deaths in hot cars, but also perusing websites that advocate a child-free life and sexting six different women with a picture of his exposed genitals, while his son was strapped into his car-seat.

The police have also offered evidence that Harris searched “how to survive in prison” on the internet. The prosecution alleges that Harris deliberately left his two year-old son in the car. A post-mortem showed that Cooper died of hyperthermia, which means that his body temperature spiked because of the heat inside the car.
Also, Cooper was supposedly a few inches too big for his seat, and as such his father should have been able to see him.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 11:02:00 am by BlitzDungeoneer »
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #53238 on: July 05, 2014, 11:01:54 am »

During his hearing, it was said:

"For him to enter the car ... when the child had been dead and rigor mortis had set in, and the testimony is the stench in the car was overwhelming at that point in time, that he -- in spite of that -- got in the car and drove it for some distance before he took any action to check on the welfare of his child, I find there is probable cause for the two charges contained in the warrant," Cox told a packed courtroom.

Also:

Five days before Cooper died, Ross Harris twice viewed a sort of homemade public service announcement in which a veterinarian demonstrates on video the dangers of leaving someone or something inside a hot car.

Also:

Harris never called 911, and when an officer told him to get off his phone, he refused and even said, "F*** you" before an officer took his phone and handcuffed him, the detective said.
He also alleged that Harris told police he couldn't reach anyone on his telephone, but phone records show that Harris made three calls after he discovered his son's body, and one between him and his employer lasted six minutes, Stoddard said.

Also:

Ross Harris had recently been passed over for a promotion, and the couple had two insurance policies on Cooper, one for $2,000 and one for $25,000, the detective said.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #53239 on: July 05, 2014, 11:18:41 am »

I agree that driving like that is probable cause for investigation. I don't agree that it's adequate evidence for conviction.

I don't agree that a PSA is any more valid than a Google search, and I've already addressed that. It's entirely possible that it's a really shitty coincidence, and I'm not prepared to condemn a man on that basis.

I can see a man not calling 911 if he's too upset to think rationally, which I think would be a reasonable response to "Holy shit I killed my baby". Obviously, 911 was called, since an officer was present to take his phone and handcuff him. So the window of time for him to come to his senses and take the initiative on that one might not have been big enough.

And having a rough work life and some very small insurance policies does not constitute meaningful evidence, much less proof as far as I can tell. Keep in mind, I pay something like 6 cents a month for an insurance policy that pays twice that if I lose a finger.

EDIT: I want to make clear, I'm not saying he's innocent, I'm saying that we don't have nearly enough evidence to condemn a man who lost his child of being a murderer.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 11:21:31 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #53240 on: July 05, 2014, 11:34:38 am »

I'm not saying he's guilty, either. I'm saying there is only so many times you can stack coincidences.

Whilst he was being arrested, he wasn't talking about his baby. He was talking about losing his job, and asking what the punishment to him would be. He mentioned federal prison.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #53241 on: July 05, 2014, 11:41:39 am »

How the police obtain information on somebody's google searches?
._.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53242 on: July 05, 2014, 11:43:17 am »

just ask the isp

data retention is huge in the westest west

this is why you use vpns for everything

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #53243 on: July 05, 2014, 11:47:35 am »

Big Obama watches you

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #53244 on: July 05, 2014, 11:50:31 am »

It's this little thing called Internet History that records all the sites you visit.
Even if you do the whole 'clear history' thing, I'm fairly certain it's not truly deleted, just a hell of a lot harder to access.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53245 on: July 05, 2014, 12:15:11 pm »

Apparently Harvester is already on my Steam wishlist. >.>
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53246 on: July 05, 2014, 12:19:40 pm »

It's this little thing called Internet History that records all the sites you visit.
Even if you do the whole 'clear history' thing, I'm fairly certain it's not truly deleted, just a hell of a lot harder to access.
Your ISP keeps records of all the websites you ask for information from. That's where things like VPNs and such come into play.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
« Reply #53247 on: July 05, 2014, 12:29:14 pm »

Does VPN stand for Virtual Private Network?
Also, he presumably didn't have one, since the police managed to access his Internet history.

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #53248 on: July 05, 2014, 12:43:11 pm »

The police obtain all sorts of things.... The have long been able to get your "pen register" from the old phone company, showing what numbers you called but not the content with no warrant.

They can get your cell phone reords similarly, though, depending on state they may need a warrant (supreme ourt needs to standardize this). That can land them what cell tower you were using to make calls and support location info for a more in depth warrant.

Then there's the internet stuff. They can supeona your ISP. Sometimes, depending on the nature of the charge, they may seize your computer as evidence, etc.

Then there's the NSA thing. Ask Snowden about that.....
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53249 on: July 05, 2014, 12:52:34 pm »

So I come into work, and I hear one of the managers over in the back room by the water heater.
Apparantly the valves that control the unit were missing, but rather than everyone simply shrugging at it, our resident mechanic/plumber/fix-it-guy walks up to them, waves his hand like a Jedi and says "It doesn't need valves anymore."
The manager then walked off without saying a word. Apparantly the thing works now.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread
Pages: 1 ... 3548 3549 [3550] 3551 3552 ... 10981