Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3552 3553 [3554] 3555 3556 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13183060 times)

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #53295 on: July 05, 2014, 06:54:16 pm »

Neo[nivek]
Dammit, now every time I look at him I'm going to see the guy from the Matrix.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53296 on: July 05, 2014, 06:57:03 pm »

Though I like Nocturn even if it isn't a SMT title.
Well this made me WTF today.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #53297 on: July 05, 2014, 07:02:28 pm »

Neo are you mixing up titles again? It's Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne
It's FEF, not FEOF

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #53298 on: July 05, 2014, 07:06:48 pm »

Lost connection to my home wireless network for some reason, and when I tried to find it again one of the other possible wireless networks to connect to was "FBI Surveillance Van No. 5." I tried to see what it was, and I lost it.

0_o

Now I want to rename my network to something like that.
Wi-fi network near the house of a friend of mine was named, 'Hack This'. He did, and changed the name to read 'Challenge Accepted'.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53299 on: July 05, 2014, 07:22:53 pm »

Apparently.... It is like those Final Fantasy games that were actually Romancing Saga.

Basically in Japan it was a side game not part of the main series (even if... all side games in the SMT line all link up to the story... even Persona) and was changed to its current state when it was ported over.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53300 on: July 05, 2014, 07:23:53 pm »

Most interesting network name I ever came across was 'Get Your Own'. While I was doing some tech support at a gated community.

It was unlocked.  So I dunno what it's deal was, maybe the owner knew just enough about wifi to change their network name but was scared of the scary looking words like encryption?
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
« Reply #53301 on: July 05, 2014, 07:30:20 pm »

Apparently.... It is like those Final Fantasy games that were actually Romancing Saga.

Basically in Japan it was a side game not part of the main series (even if... all side games in the SMT line all link up to the story... even Persona) and was changed to its current state when it was ported over.

Er no it's not

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Are you mixing it up with Strange Journey or something? There was a change between the NA and Japan version but the change was that the version ported to NA was an updated rerelease called  Shin Megami Tensei III: Nocturne: Maniax
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 07:34:14 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53302 on: July 05, 2014, 07:35:37 pm »

* Darvi freikugels Neo for the heck of it.

Yes I'm the Demifiend thanks for asking.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53303 on: July 05, 2014, 07:41:12 pm »

Thanks Furtuka.

I was wondering why, if it wasn't a true SMT title, the character appears in Fire Emblem Versus SMT.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53304 on: July 05, 2014, 09:29:05 pm »

I wish I had some better "lots of monsters to raise and fight for me" games... Monster Rancher is a dead series and Pokémon doesn't scratch the right itch.
There's Jade Cocoon for PS1 if you haven't tried it. And a few Digimon World games... If you liked Digimon World 1 with its V-pet mechanics, it just had an updated spiritual successor (Digimon World Re:Digitize) come out a couple years ago for PSP which has an in-progress translation patch that might finally get released within the next few months.

Monster Racers for DS is a slightly shitty but sort of fun/novel take on it, where you raise monsters and then control them in races instead of battles.

If you can read Japanese, there's a huge pile of obscure non-Pokémon monster-raising RPGs that never made it out in English.

Medarot/Medabots deserves a special mention for essentially being a monster-raising RPG with mix-and-match animal-themed robots instead of actual monsters. It has 10+ games in Japan but only one out in English (for GBA).

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53305 on: July 05, 2014, 10:02:49 pm »

Azure Dreams, old PS1 game.  One of my all time favorite games.  Combine rogue style dungeon, with monster raising and moderate city building.

You go into combat yourself but your only allies are your pets (you can have 2 out at once when you find a second collar.  I feel you are a bit stronger than your pets usually (except for the uber last boss monster which you get for free after beating the game) but it's made up for by the fact that you can obtain every single monster in the game, and the player is reduced to level one every time they enter the dungeon. (while their monsters are not)

Unfortunately it's a good luck finding it kind of game, don't think it was ever really popular in the west.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 10:05:26 pm by Greiger »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53306 on: July 05, 2014, 10:30:17 pm »

Jade Cacoon was a great game for the PS1, though people don't seem to really "understand" it so to speak. Jade Cacoon 2 is good and all, albeit waaaaay too repetitive, and has an interesting spin with its strategic combat (I'd love a sequel based on it) but it isn't Jade Cacoon...

I own Digimon World 1, it was fun. If anyone plays this I will say that a good idea is to create fodder digimon who will just kill enemies for cash. Since some digimon are such a great burden on you if you are trying to rely on free food.

Azure Dreams unfortunately I've had the whole thing spoiled for me... I completely forgot about that one.

How about ones with Turn based combat?

I know there was an old one where you could get monsters off of seeds... unfortunately it wasn't very good and your monsters LOVED to just self-destruct on you, and there was nothing you could do about it. Oddly enough like Digimon the reject monsters didn't suck... The Pig monster for essentially messing up the seed gestation was one of the better monsters you could raise.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2014, 10:33:10 pm by Neonivek »

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53307 on: July 05, 2014, 10:38:26 pm »

Just watched a 16 second fight for the UFC Women's Bantamweight belt. Damn.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #53308 on: July 05, 2014, 11:48:09 pm »

Neonivek is like the Neo of the internet. Instead of smiths, he just beats up video games :P

Only kidding, Neo. I love you really. Just don't fly to my house and kill me.
You just have to realize
That there is no quality game
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53309 on: July 06, 2014, 12:06:24 am »

How about ones with Turn based combat?
You mean like Pokémon's?

Digimon World 3 was a fairly typical JRPG with a turn-based battle system if I recall.

Medabots is sort-of turn based, but the timing/frequency of the turns varies based on speed and attack cooldown.

Then there's Telefang, which has an broken-engrishy bootleg (Pokémon Diamond/Jade) as well as a partial proper translation patch available (only roughly the first 1/2 of the game is done in it). Its battle screens are visually similar to Pokémon, but it has variable speed-based turns as well, and the battles can be up to 3 vs. 3.

There's also Fossil Fighters for DS, which I think is turn-based, with a shallow but fairly unique battle system. All the monsters in it are based on dinosaurs, though, and there's a lot of focus on fossil-cleaning minigames.
Not to be confused with Fossil League for DS, which has you raising and battling plain old photorealistic dinosaurs who shoot lightning and stuff. That one was just weird.
Pages: 1 ... 3552 3553 [3554] 3555 3556 ... 10983