Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3554 3555 [3556] 3557 3558 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12996236 times)

BlitzDungeoneer

• Bay Watcher
  • heh
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #53325 on: July 06, 2014, 08:27:38 am »

Pokemon Mystery Dungeon is better than regular Pokemon.
Fully agree with this.
Swordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordswordsword

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53326 on: July 06, 2014, 09:09:33 am »

Flygon's a ground type because its whole line is based on an ant lion (you know, the bugs that famously dig sand pits to catch prey) and a dragon type because it looks like a dragon. If you look at an adult ant lion it looks pretty similar.

Japanese kids are big into a lot of animals we'd consider obscure (cliones, anyone?), so stuff like this is probably a lot more intuitive over there.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile

Fniff

• Bay Watcher
  • if you must die, die spectacularly
    • View Profile
« Reply #53328 on: July 06, 2014, 10:08:53 am »

I just saw an extra dollar go on the kickstarter. That was magical.

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53329 on: July 06, 2014, 11:06:41 am »

I enjoyed Mystery Dungeon but disliked the main games.

Coliseum and X.D. on the Gamecube were rather engaging storywise also. The mechanics were similar to the main games with the coli and xd games, but they threw in new concepts and actually had a decent storyline.

Mystery Dungeon was just really really really enjoyable.

If a game doesn't have either extremely engaging gameplay or an extremely engaging story then it won't interest me.

Rogur Legacy is an example of a game that seems completely storyless at first and has rather fun gameplay but then pulls a fast one and stuff it has been hinting at the entire game cumulates into a story. It also had a bunch of those little touches that make a game amusing. Such as one of the journal entries questioning why mushrooms and plants were giving coins and roasted chicken.

Another game series with little touches, although they started to vanish later on was Borderlands one and two, they just had these tiny little touches hidden throughout the game that I'm pretty sure very few people would notice but they did them anyways and the game felt immersive because of them. Expecially near the beginning of 2, there were several little ones that made me empathize with Claptrap, although he was an annoying character, he had reasons for that, if you looked, you would find them, they managed to build up empathy for the most annoying character in the entire game purely with little hidden touches.

Games rarely do that, and although I dislike some game mechanics in Borderlands, I can say I thoroughly enjoyed myself because the designers somehow managed to flesh out the majority of the background characters with small little additions to the world.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #53330 on: July 06, 2014, 11:29:05 am »

Starseed Pilgrim. I have no idea what's going on in this game.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53331 on: July 06, 2014, 12:06:04 pm »

Apparently a tropical storm hit close to where I live. I didn't even notice.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #53332 on: July 06, 2014, 12:06:38 pm »

Since the topic came up, one thing I realized about Pokemon is that it's a game all about capturing your enemies to get them to join your party. Imagine if other RPGs let you do that. You could have a party with a Goblin, Goblin Archer, Bandit, Elf Sorcerer, Carnivorous Plant, etc. that you all fought in random encounters, and to individualize them you could rename them if you want (though if this was a serious project maybe there could be an automatic random-naming function). And if we wanted to make it really WTF we could add in things like trading and breeding.

I kinda want this game to be real now.
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

~Neri

• Bay Watcher
  • Now back to our regularly scheduled bark.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53333 on: July 06, 2014, 12:08:31 pm »

Apparently a tropical storm hit close to where I live. I didn't even notice.
Nature put all that effort into putting on a show for yous and you didn't even notice? That's no way to treat a lady.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53334 on: July 06, 2014, 12:18:33 pm »

Since the topic came up, one thing I realized about Pokemon is that it's a game all about capturing your enemies to get them to join your party. Imagine if other RPGs let you do that. You could have a party with a Goblin, Goblin Archer, Bandit, Elf Sorcerer, Carnivorous Plant, etc. that you all fought in random encounters, and to individualize them you could rename them if you want (though if this was a serious project maybe there could be an automatic random-naming function). And if we wanted to make it really WTF we could add in things like trading and breeding.

Rune Factory kinda lets you do that.
It's fun.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Kadzar

• Bay Watcher
  • Descan Pengwind
    • View Profile
« Reply #53335 on: July 06, 2014, 12:34:26 pm »

Rune Factory kinda lets you do that.
It's fun.
A brief look at it's Wikipedia page shows that it allows you to befriend monsters. The appeal in this for me is the idea that you could capture sentient beings and make them fight for you.

So what I really want to know is: can I tame an elf?
What if the earth is just a knick in one of the infinite swords of the mighty fractal bear?
Glory to Arstotzka!

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #53336 on: July 06, 2014, 12:38:05 pm »

This is gonna be one fancy potato salad...

I remember when that was first linked here a couple days ago it had 900 dollahs. Now it's...wow. This is getting silly.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #53337 on: July 06, 2014, 12:42:28 pm »

There's more than one game out there that lets you do that to varying extents, these days. GBA Lufia to a degree, pretty much the entire dragon quest monsters line, SMT, Tactics Ogre... s'just a sampling, that. Quite sure there's plenty more I'm forgetting. Enslaving your foes and forcing them to murder their friends and family isn't an entirely unknown mechanic. Not quite common, but it's faffing about.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53338 on: July 06, 2014, 12:43:43 pm »

Ni no Kuni is what you get when you turn SMT into a Ghibli movie. It's worth checking out.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #53339 on: July 06, 2014, 12:44:12 pm »

The wall by the break table is normally covered by posters of various purposes, but not the is a huge recatangle of visible wall, and you can see where the tape was that held up the poster there.
Now I'm trying to figure out which poster it was that was there.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread
Pages: 1 ... 3554 3555 [3556] 3557 3558 ... 10973