Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3577 3578 [3579] 3580 3581 ... 10980

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13136385 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #53670 on: July 09, 2014, 10:30:42 pm »

All but the most obvious and self-explanatory, I'm sure.
Rejoice then, you are of the living

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #53671 on: July 09, 2014, 10:39:36 pm »

Good. Bay12 has seen too many exorcisms. A Forumite in the ranks of life is a rare treat.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #53672 on: July 09, 2014, 10:54:12 pm »

Political Correctness 101:

At least where I live, everyone (white, black, and other) says "black" as an adjective in common speech, with "African-American" being more of a formality. However, to refer to a person as "[a/the] black" as a noun or to multiple people as "blacks" is still mildly offensive or at least rude, with "black [person/guy/man/woman]" being the accepted form.

Yeah, that's pretty much what I meant. "Black" in place of "African American" [person/man/woman/guy/dude/etc] for when such description is necessary or whatever. Obviously not as an insult or in a demeaning or dehumanizing manner. I mean, if you were to go to Britain or Australia and go around calling the black people who lived there their entire life and never set foot in either Africa or America "African Americans", that would seem like bad form, y'know.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #53674 on: July 09, 2014, 11:43:41 pm »

Russian orthodoxy.

One true religion.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53675 on: July 10, 2014, 01:20:55 am »

It is rare I watch a television show where characters suffer from Magnus Syndrome.

Vision was able to dance around the Avengers in his first appearance and the second he joins all of a sudden he just starts to become powerful but no where near the force of awesome he once was... I mean to an extent it is because people know how to fight him now... but still.

Though plus for being one of the few Avengers shows that remembers Vision existed. Now it just needs to have Scarlet Witch and it is perfect.

Honestly curse them for cancelling Avengers: Earth's Mightiest Heroes for that garbage replacement cartoon that follows the movies more. It is such a pale imitation and while SOME episodes of the new show are good, the majority of Earth's Mightiest are good.

---

Also can Galactus and his Heralds never catch a break a lot of the time.

A lot of writers concentrate very hard on making Galactus beatable and thus give him REALLY odd weaknesses as well as his Heralds... or they extra vilify him (The Heralds for example in this... don't allow you to escape, in spite of being one of the functions of Heralds is to let you leave).

It really is odd when a Herald doesn't even have the prerequisite powers to do their own job... like being able to survive in the vacuum of space or feed off the sun... or when Galactus can just do the Herald's job himself.

I can sympathize however. Galactus is the one quasi-villain you have to use... but is the one that isn't meant to be beatable through normal means.
« Last Edit: July 10, 2014, 03:22:35 am by Neonivek »

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53676 on: July 10, 2014, 03:55:51 am »

I don't know what all this verbal dancing is for around the word black? Just say it. Ya know, the way you'd say white?
Basically political correctness is there to avoid enraging people who don't know the difference between the meaning and connotation of words. "Black" is a trigger word for those people (let's call them connotationists). The actual meaning of the word refers only to skin color, yet it's culturally associated with crime, poverty and lowerclassness. So calling people black is (in connotationists' eyes) equivalent to calling them criminals, and they'll get all angry about that. Political correctness is a method to avoid rousing the connotationists.

Personally I think connotationism is a Bad Thing and that we should do something about it.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #53677 on: July 10, 2014, 03:58:27 am »

Considering that connotationists often make statements to the effect that nonwhites are metaphysically and essentially unable to have anything good or make improvements in status due to the existence of white people, yeah, I'd say they aren't worth listening to.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53678 on: July 10, 2014, 04:12:55 am »

i thought we agreed multiple times that bothering with tumblr is a thing that should not be done

MagmaMcFry

• Bay Watcher
  • [EXISTS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #53679 on: July 10, 2014, 04:13:35 am »

Considering that connotationists often make statements to the effect that nonwhites are metaphysically and essentially unable to have anything good or make improvements in status due to the existence of white people, yeah, I'd say they aren't worth listening to.
No, those are called racists.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53681 on: July 10, 2014, 06:43:18 am »

Basically political correctness is there to avoid enraging people who don't know the difference between the meaning and connotation of words. "Black" is a trigger word for those people (let's call them connotationists). The actual meaning of the word refers only to skin color, yet it's culturally associated with crime, poverty and lowerclassness. So calling people black is (in connotationists' eyes) equivalent to calling them criminals, and they'll get all angry about that. Political correctness is a method to avoid rousing the connotationists.
Got a single source for this?

Because this is absolute bullshit of the highest order.

LordSlowpoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53682 on: July 10, 2014, 06:53:58 am »

your calling of bullshit is bullshit, or it isn't, i can't tell because you're not telling me the reasons why you say it's bullshit

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53683 on: July 10, 2014, 07:07:53 am »

I was going to wait and see what he brought to defend the position, but OK.

The whole African American vs black debate is largely an academic one within the black community. It's primarily about cultural identity without being defined by those outside the community, using the label they have ownership over rather than one that white people get to define for them. The debate was mostly a response to abandoning the term negro.

Now the preference between the two terms is largely split, with various people having their own reasons for preferring one term over the other. But as a general rule neither is actually seen as an insult. That said, black can be an insult in some cases, mostly when used as a noun. Referring to someone as a black rather than a black person or similar can be seen as reducing them to their race and eliminating their personhood. Given there's a bit of a history of that...

The ideas of black being a trigger word or the whole "connotationists" thing are complete nonsense. I mean, I'm assuming here that I read more "social justice" sites than most people on this forum, and I've not come across either of these concepts on any sort of site talking about racism and racial issues. And it's not like they are quiet on these fronts.

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #53684 on: July 10, 2014, 07:14:40 am »

I think he's talking about Tumbleresque people...
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.
Pages: 1 ... 3577 3578 [3579] 3580 3581 ... 10980