Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3633 3634 [3635] 3636 3637 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13166652 times)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #54510 on: July 20, 2014, 09:51:06 pm »

Quote from: Steve;1528020
It proves  they have something to do with it. Comon everyone know Putin is a liar

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

All of my wtf.  With such logics . . .
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #54511 on: July 20, 2014, 10:15:12 pm »

I'm pretty sure in Dune, it was women-only when it comes to using said power. If you are a male and try to use the Bene Gesserit witches' powers, you die. This results in the memory of their male ancestors being hidden from their viewing until the Kwisatz Haderach manage to not die.

I have no idea how the navigators manage to be male and not die, though, but maybe it's same spice, different type of powers.
Yeah, in general it was women only for the population at large, but the Kwisatz Haderach's super-superpowers explicitly came from being male and still being able to access the ancestral memories. So I do think it still counts as an example of a male-only superpower, even if it's in a setting that has a lesser degree of similar powers available as a women-only thing.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #54512 on: July 20, 2014, 10:28:32 pm »

Mm. I know the final fantasy series has several gender locked job/class things (Bard, dancer), for what that's worth -- basically the same thing, just in a world with plenty of other, non-gendered, powers. The Ogre Battle stuff did things similarly for a great deal of its games -- valkyrie/knight split, princesses, and so on. Definitely want to say I've seen the same sort of thing in some non-game settings, but names and whatnot are escaping me, and my memory's nagging that whatever I ran into it with was read over a decade ago.

Maybe some of piers anthony's work? I forget if the adept things were monogendered (though certainly most of the ones I can currently recall were male, at least initially. Maybe an alien once or twice.), and I'm almost certain the... tone? The one that got pretty goddamn freaky with diapers and a suicidal/cutting protagonist and man I don't know what else. Stuff might have had something like that.

Also maybe the Shannara stuff? Not sure why that's dinging the memory. There's certainly plenty of fantasy work where even if the magic or whatever wasn't strictly gender locked you never saw any female archmagi equivalents or whathaveyou.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Arcvasti

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_ALREADY_HERE] [FRIENDSHIPPER:HIGH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #54513 on: July 20, 2014, 11:30:12 pm »

WoT had the whole divided True Source thing. Although the magic system mostly worked the same for both sides, there WERE differences.
If you expect to live forever then you will never be disappointed.
Spooky Signature
To fix the horrid default colour scheme, follow the below steps:
Profile> Modify Profile> Look and Layout> Current Theme> (change)> Darkling

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54514 on: July 20, 2014, 11:40:02 pm »

Quote from: Steve;1528020
It proves  they have something to do with it. Comon everyone know Putin is a liar

-snip-
All of my wtf.  With such logics . . .
I'm sorry, but you are arguing on the internet. The people here are real...salt of the earth type people. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new intertubes. You know. Morons.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54515 on: July 20, 2014, 11:49:50 pm »

Mm. I know the final fantasy series has several gender locked job/class things (Bard, dancer), for what that's worth -- basically the same thing, just in a world with plenty of other, non-gendered, powers. The Ogre Battle stuff did things similarly for a great deal of its games -- valkyrie/knight split, princesses, and so on. Definitely want to say I've seen the same sort of thing in some non-game settings, but names and whatnot are escaping me, and my memory's nagging that whatever I ran into it with was read over a decade ago.

Maybe some of piers anthony's work? I forget if the adept things were monogendered (though certainly most of the ones I can currently recall were male, at least initially. Maybe an alien once or twice.), and I'm almost certain the... tone? The one that got pretty goddamn freaky with diapers and a suicidal/cutting protagonist and man I don't know what else. Stuff might have had something like that.

Also maybe the Shannara stuff? Not sure why that's dinging the memory. There's certainly plenty of fantasy work where even if the magic or whatever wasn't strictly gender locked you never saw any female archmagi equivalents or whathaveyou.

Final Fantasy though does the "males do this, females do that" sort of powers thing. So while only men can be bards, only females could be dancers. Same with Tactics Ogre, where the Princess and Lord classes are opposites but equal (In the original the Princess Class is basically the ultimate mage who can have every spell, while the Lord can have any physical skill).

I was looking for a case of male only powers without there being "well women can do this", where it isn't a balance of power without it being influenced by culture (So it isn't "only men wizards because society is sexist" deal). Heck I'd put Dune under it since the male power isn't "better" it simply is different made more important by the absence of more male practitioners but is otherwise the same power as the female set.

Mostly because I want to see if it is rare, or if I haven't seen any. Since I can frankly make a long list of settings where women are special and men aren't (and it isn't a society thing or a coincidence), but other then that ONE show I can't think of any. The closest being Warhammer 40k and only in one aspect (and otherwise "women have super powers" is in full force with another race).
« Last Edit: July 20, 2014, 11:58:24 pm by Neonivek »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #54516 on: July 21, 2014, 12:38:12 am »

Heck I'd put Dune under it since the male power isn't "better" it simply is different made more important by the absence of more male practitioners but is otherwise the same power as the female set.
Not actually true - the Kwisatz Haderach is able to access both sets of ancestral memories, as well as the whole prescience thing. It was a strictly greater set of powers, IIRC.

Although, then again, Alia but it's been a while so I forget exactly what her deal was.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Alev

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54517 on: July 21, 2014, 12:41:56 am »

Urist McRandomDwarf: "Aw, that's a cute baby. Can I hold it?" *goes to hold it*
Mother: "No! Wait! Sto-"
The large copper dagger strikes the dwarf in the upper body, shattering the left floating ribs and tearing the left lung!
Urist: "OHGODSMYCHEST! Ah... Ah... ...ah... Gak."
Urist McRandomDwarf, Dwarf Peasant, has suffocated.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #54518 on: July 21, 2014, 12:48:40 am »

Same with Tactics Ogre, where the Princess and Lord classes are opposites but equal (In the original the Princess Class is basically the ultimate mage who can have every spell, while the Lord can have any physical skill).
Definitely untrue with Ogre Battle, though, which is what I specifically mentioned -- the Lord class in that, particularly the original, is something very specific, and the closest to the princess class was possibly the lich, something very different, though both were pretty much the best back-line classes in the game (for radically different reasons).

But nah, monogender stuff at all is pretty rare from what I've seen -- even with magical girl stuff, just as an example, it's generally either that males have some sort of alternate power (See: Sailor Moon) or they just don't get screen time the same way female magic users don't in, say, the Hobbit. I am pretty sure I've read a least a few fantasy/sci-fi/whatever novels over the years that had male only (/only males) powers, s'just... there's been a lot of things over the years. Can't remember what they were, ha.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54519 on: July 21, 2014, 12:58:09 am »

It is a lot more common, you just have to pay attention. Even outside "Magical girl animes".

it's generally either that males have some sort of alternate power (See: Sailor Moon)

No they don't. Anyone can tap into the powers males get and several female characters do.

But ONLY women get the Senshi powers period. I don't know why, and I originally thought Tuxedo Mask was a male Senshi who didn't get the outfit, but it is what it is.

SOLDIER First

• Bay Watcher
  • Trans fucking rights, baby.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54520 on: July 21, 2014, 02:48:28 am »

Playing DF; looking at the units screen after I am notified that my fish cleaner's been gone for a week.
I go under Missing, and get this:

I... I feel like I'm not entirely supposed to see that, game.
Black lives matter.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #54521 on: July 21, 2014, 03:12:10 am »

What, didn't you see the note the human child inexplicably dressed in modern clothing put up on the trade depot wall?

Lost Slug Demon

Named Slimey, 20 feet tall, he undulates rythmically
Last seen under magma sea
Call 301-555-9136 if you find him
Reward: $20
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #54522 on: July 21, 2014, 07:54:36 am »

Minimalist RTDs are approximately 100x times as popular as the normal ones.
There's not enough space on one page to contain them all.
._.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #54523 on: July 21, 2014, 08:03:10 am »

How would a non minimalistic RTD even work?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54524 on: July 21, 2014, 08:05:39 am »

Your average RTD might be minimalistic by nature, but most of them have character sheets, realism and some sort of plot.
A "minimalist" RTD generally just involves people posting whatever actions they want and the GM rolling for them, and plenty of silliness ensues. I didn't explain that very well. I'm tired.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.
Pages: 1 ... 3633 3634 [3635] 3636 3637 ... 10983