Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3634 3635 [3636] 3637 3638 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13165830 times)

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #54525 on: July 21, 2014, 08:06:25 am »

How would a non minimalistic RTD even work?

Well you clearly haven't purchased the Non-Minimialistic RTD 6th Edition hardcover book set.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #54526 on: July 21, 2014, 08:12:11 am »

How would a non minimalistic RTD even work?
Have you seen the Einsteinian Roulette?
._.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #54527 on: July 21, 2014, 08:36:21 am »

But ONLY women get the Senshi powers period. I don't know why, and I originally thought Tuxedo Mask was a male Senshi who didn't get the outfit, but it is what it is.
Not really, again -- starlight or whatever they are. They can genderflip at will, but it's still a case of (conditional) males in the setting have senshi powers :P

And again, I can't recall anything about the series that said males can't be senshi -- most of the reason they weren't seemed to boil down to the power(s) that handed out the ability being coming from a matriarchy. Social rather than anything necessarily true. Point being that it wasn't a monogendered piece going towards females -- fellows get plenty of powers in that series.

When I was talking about there not being many monogendered pieces, I was talking about something from the direction you stated as
I was looking for a case of male only powers without there being "well women can do this", where it isn't a balance of power without it being influenced by culture (So it isn't "only men wizards because society is sexist" deal).
going either way. You say it's common for there to be female monogendered works of that sort, but the only one I can recall off the top of my head is maybe Strike Witches (and I actually haven't seen any of that, so I have no clue if the capabilities involved there were influenced by culture or not). It's pretty darn rare that there's not some kind of balance of power existing, and most of the time if there's a notable gender bias it's more tradition than... most anything else, or the genders get different powersets. Guess what I'm saying is, "Examples?"
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Execute/Dumbo.exe

• Bay Watcher
  • Never Types So Much As Punches The Keyboard
    • View Profile
« Reply #54528 on: July 21, 2014, 08:41:14 am »

So on the topic of anime I followed giglamesh despair and found that anime thing with girls who who are also deamons or some shit.
OI! XANTA-CHAN!
He knows how to fix River's tiredness.
Alan help.
IronyOwl   But Kyuubey can more or less be summed up as "You didn't ask."
15:52   IronyOwl   Whereas Dungbeetle is closer to "Fuck you."

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #54529 on: July 21, 2014, 08:45:32 am »

I'm pretty sure Xantalos has heard of Nyaruko-chan, if that is what you meant.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Lord_lemonpie

• Bay Watcher
  • disco-froggin' since 2013
    • View Profile
« Reply #54530 on: July 21, 2014, 09:39:26 am »

girls who who are also deamons or some shit.

That aint no anime, that's real life

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54531 on: July 21, 2014, 10:27:27 am »

I love your avatar so much, o Lord of Lemony Pies.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54532 on: July 21, 2014, 11:59:53 am »

Not really, again -- starlight or whatever they are. They can genderflip at will, but it's still a case of (conditional) males in the setting have senshi powers :P

That was a bastardization created by the anime and wasn't present in the manga... and even then they are still originally women anyhow and transform into women when they transform.

Guess what I'm saying is, "Examples?"

Ok so lets not stick to magical girl animes because then I'd just be listing magical girl animes... actually I'll just not use anime period.

The Seers from Dark Legions, the Angels for Warhammer 40k, The Darkspawn in Dragon Age, Unicorns in general, psychic powers in the scorpion king.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #54533 on: July 21, 2014, 12:47:03 pm »

... do any of those actually meet the criteria you were looking for? If Dark Legions is the game, seers exist in a world with all sorts of other magic users, WH40k is full of warp benders of all genders, you can definitely have male magic users and presumably darkspawn in DA, and... I have no interaction with the scorpion king, so I have no idea there. Unicorns I wouldn't even know where to start with -- even the real-world mythology is varied as the buggery, nevermind fantasy stuff, and m'not sure I count being able to sorta-interact with a single species of mutant horse as particularly special-power worthy.

I mean, at this point, I'm legit curious as to fictional worlds where the special bits are explicitly gender locked and one gender is completely mundane. Even with the magical girl stuff I've encountered, most of it doesn't seem so much like guys can't do the whole transformation sequence stuff so much as don't -- and even then, there's usually alternate powersets they get involved with. I know there's a few out there, but a lot of times even when the general situation is gender-locked the stories built in the world in question are about exceptions to the rule (See: Infinite Stratos, since I've forgotten all the text examples I've read.).
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #54534 on: July 21, 2014, 02:16:10 pm »

I honestly can't think of anything where it's that sort of genderlock, with one side being totally mundane, apart from real-world legends which tend to be derived from social norms rather than (heh) actual magic powers. Most with a genderlock go the Wheel of Time route and have gendered powers which either do different things or do the same thing in different ways, as opposed to one gender being totally mundane. Except maybe Strike Witches, but I never really watched that -- IIRC it was because the magic was matrilineal and just didn't manifest actively in males, but that could be completely wrong.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #54535 on: July 21, 2014, 03:20:05 pm »

You say it's common for there to be female monogendered works of that sort, but the only one I can recall off the top of my head is maybe Strike Witches (and I actually haven't seen any of that, so I have no clue if the capabilities involved there were influenced by culture or not). It's pretty darn rare that there's not some kind of balance of power existing, and most of the time if there's a notable gender bias it's more tradition than... most anything else, or the genders get different powersets. Guess what I'm saying is, "Examples?"

Not a huge relevance, but magic in Strike Witches universe is limited to females under the age of around 20 (although much weaker magic is seen from older women).

The only other storyline I can think of with a single genderlock is  Mazonia from the Mercedes Lackey and Piers Anthony (supposedly Anthony just editied it, but there's so much of his voice in it that I doubt that) novel If I Pay Thee Not In Gold, where in one region of the world only women have magic (the woman-ruled man-enslaved nation of Mazonia's borders line up with the borders of this region exactly).
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Jack_Bread

• Bay Watcher
  • 100% FRESH ♥HIPPO♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #54536 on: July 21, 2014, 04:02:08 pm »

Went to the park yesterday with a bunch of friends after a game of Pathfinder. We took a car and as we were driving, my sister pointed out a drunk looking homeless person on the corner. He attempted to cross the street as there were still cars passing. One car slowed for him and he raised his arms out and back up from it. The car figured he was just letting him pass, but as it drove past, the homeless guy attempted to headbutt it. Fortunately, his head didn't connect and the car sped off.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #54537 on: July 21, 2014, 04:35:15 pm »

For some reason I cannot access the main B12 page with this browser. I'll try deleting cache, history and such things, but it's quite odd.

That did the trick, but still strange.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2014, 04:37:29 pm by Deathsword »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #54538 on: July 21, 2014, 05:42:43 pm »

Went to the park yesterday with a bunch of friends after a game of Pathfinder. We took a car and as we were driving, my sister pointed out a drunk looking homeless person on the corner. He attempted to cross the street as there were still cars passing. One car slowed for him and he raised his arms out and back up from it. The car figured he was just letting him pass, but as it drove past, the homeless guy attempted to headbutt it. Fortunately, his head didn't connect and the car sped off.

...I think the homeless guy was daring the car to come at him.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #54539 on: July 21, 2014, 05:47:28 pm »

At least three different groups of people are trying to manipulate me into doing things I'm not really so hot on doing. Thing is it's all people who I'm actually kind of fond of so there's not a great lot that I can do about it.
This is how conspiracy theorists must feel.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 3634 3635 [3636] 3637 3638 ... 10983