Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3824 3825 [3826] 3827 3828 ... 10980

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13145159 times)

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #57375 on: September 01, 2014, 07:58:54 am »

Well, I didn't expect this.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Ah yes, a statistic with no background information whatsoever, sponsored by a biased organization, and published on the Internet. What a fine and trustworthy source of legit.
There's a hyperlink (and presumably source) in there, but a screenshot obviously reduced the click-ability of that :P

Also, it's from the site where I planned my public transit journey, so I'd say they're not very biased if they say public transit produces more CO2. Hence my posting this here.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #57376 on: September 01, 2014, 08:01:03 am »

Now here is the problem: if it IS to be interpreted as post-modern, how can the artist get away with claiming it has any specific meaning?

That works because when average people are confronted by a confusing statement, they tend to believe they're not smart enough to understand it rather than consider that the author of the statement is talking bullshit. Ironically that makes them correct. Of course they then go ahead and assume the statement was smart to begin with, which isn't correct anymore.

I'm not talking about Joe Random - I'm talking about the critics! There literally is no way to approach this shit while being self-consistent - the only way to explain it is that they get a pass because muh ideology. The traditionalists will, of course, hate it, but a consistent postmodernist (good joke, I know) should block any attempt at claiming that it means *anything*.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #57377 on: September 01, 2014, 08:34:38 am »

I've just realized that if Boltzmann's brain thing is true, then the probability of reality stopping existing in the next second is 0.999999...
._.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #57378 on: September 01, 2014, 08:35:23 am »

I've just realized that if Boltzmann's brain thing is true, then the probability of reality stopping existing in the next second is 0.999999...

0.(9) = 1, therefore reality has now stopped existing.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57379 on: September 01, 2014, 08:41:38 am »

Explain?
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #57380 on: September 01, 2014, 09:13:01 am »

Having just looked that up, I wouldn't worry about it. It's a scenario resting on an inherently untestable hypothesis - there's no way to ascertain whether or not we're occupying a bizarrely low-entropy pocket of the universe, and the only reason to suppose so is that it appeals to your own aesthetics about how the universe ought to work. If the necessary preconditions are accurate, it's a logical conclusion, but there's no way to assign a probability to that, as far as I can tell.

However, my WTF is the dude had some crazy-broad shoulders apparently. This is a joke.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #57381 on: September 01, 2014, 09:14:32 am »

Having just looked that up, I wouldn't worry about it. It's a scenario resting on an inherently untestable hypothesis - there's no way to ascertain whether or not we're occupying a bizarrely low-entropy pocket of the universe, and the only reason to suppose so is that it appeals to your own aesthetics about how the universe ought to work. If the necessary preconditions are accurate, it's a logical conclusion, but there's no way to assign a probability to that, as far as I can tell.

However, my WTF is the dude had some crazy-broad shoulders apparently. This is a joke.

Well, he did know a thing or two about physical exercises :P

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #57382 on: September 01, 2014, 12:02:16 pm »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57383 on: September 01, 2014, 12:05:55 pm »

That'll teach him a lesson.

Man would them assassinating the Pope NOT go well for them...

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57384 on: September 01, 2014, 12:59:52 pm »

Quick question: What do you think would happen if the Pope called for a modern-day crusade against ISIS? To protect the local Christians and the holy sites, of course.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #57385 on: September 01, 2014, 01:01:36 pm »

Besides riots at home?

Some would go, but we don't live in a world of countries with one religion.  Europe, the Americas, and Asia all have relatively large Muslim populations.

Calling a modern holy war to stop the extremists isn't my idea of a winning PR strategy.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #57386 on: September 01, 2014, 01:03:54 pm »

Quick question: What do you think would happen if the Pope called for a modern-day crusade against ISIS? To protect the local Christians and the holy sites, of course.

In all likelihood most Christians would ignore him, except for the extremists, and I'd like to think most would vote to de-Pope him (is that even a thing?) on grounds of flagrantly contradicting the religion.

Also it would make a lot of important people rage, yeah.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #57387 on: September 01, 2014, 01:06:00 pm »

Excommunicate the Pope.

It is the only option.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #57388 on: September 01, 2014, 01:40:55 pm »

Pope excommunicates himself, goes on a one-man crusade against terrorism. Holy men making hard choices. His hat is the good cop to his bad cop. Summer blockbuster 2023, just enough time for it to be okay to joke about it. Gets an Emmy for best depiction of minority characters because of the hat's VA giving an exceptional performance.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57389 on: September 01, 2014, 01:40:58 pm »

Excommunicate the Pope.

It is the only option.
There is precedent for this, after all.  Even thou I think it was the pope who was doing the excommunication.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.
Pages: 1 ... 3824 3825 [3826] 3827 3828 ... 10980