Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3825 3826 [3827] 3828 3829 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13182718 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #57390 on: September 01, 2014, 01:45:58 pm »

Quick question: What do you think would happen if the Pope called for a modern-day crusade against ISIS? To protect the local Christians and the holy sites, of course.

In all likelihood most Christians would ignore him, except for the extremists, and I'd like to think most would vote to de-Pope him (is that even a thing?) on grounds of flagrantly contradicting the religion.

Also it would make a lot of important people rage, yeah.
I don't really think you could say that crusades are contradictory to the beliefs of Catholicism, given historical precedent.
But yes there would be the problem that it's not really as concentrated as it was then. You don't exactly have Catholic countries in the same way.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #57391 on: September 01, 2014, 01:50:27 pm »

It helps that the Church isn't shoulder-deep in the politics of every territorial entity in Europe any more. Three huzzahs for the Peace of Westphalia and the state system (except for all the terrible, terrible things about modern states, natch).

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #57392 on: September 01, 2014, 01:55:29 pm »

It helps that the Church isn't shoulder-deep in the politics of every territorial entity in Europe any more. Three huzzahs for the Peace of Westphalia and the state system (except for all the terrible, terrible things about modern states, natch).
Used to be that the Church was the only thing keeping (or failing) to keep peace between feuding Christian rulers. They had a LOT of influence over the people who controlled big armies. Now? Well, there is always the possibility that the pope calling a crusade would cause a lot of angry Catholic ex-cartel fighters to go around beheading ISIS fighters.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #57393 on: September 01, 2014, 01:58:29 pm »

How do you address female professors in English without knowing their marital status :S?

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57394 on: September 01, 2014, 02:01:05 pm »

How do you address female professors in English without knowing their marital status :S?
Professor, teacher, or ma'am would work. 
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #57395 on: September 01, 2014, 02:05:30 pm »

Used to be that the Church was the only thing keeping (or failing) to keep peace between feuding Christian rulers. They had a LOT of influence over the people who controlled big armies. Now? Well, there is always the possibility that the pope calling a crusade would cause a lot of angry Catholic ex-cartel fighters to go around beheading ISIS fighters.
Which was the case in part because the Church's level of control over various polities also helped prevent rulers from stabilizing control over their territories. That's not to say there weren't plenty of other factors, but the modern centralized state is a direct result of monarchs in Europe being able to tax their subjects and tell the Church's officials to GTFO of their policy-making.

If they have a postgraduate degree, 'Dr. [familial name]'. If you aren't sure whether or not they do, the same. If you know that they don't have a doctorate, 'Professor [familial name]'. Unless they directly invite you to address them casually, in which case do so at your discretion (aka during class sessions and private meetings, not at a conference/large meeting/etc.).

It's always best to play safe with academics; in the first case, you don't know whether they're prideful in their accomplishments so it's best to act as if they do and pander; in the second, the same except that if they don't have a doctorate they'll usually be flattered because it's an implicit statement of respect for their knowledge; in the third it's a sign of trust and openness, and if you don't go along you'll likely come off as formal and possibly a bit standoffish, which will probably level out to neutral.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #57396 on: September 01, 2014, 02:08:36 pm »

I mean as in an email :|

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57397 on: September 01, 2014, 02:10:31 pm »

I mean as in an email :|
The way I've been doing it is not directly addressing them at all, and writing my way around using their name.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #57398 on: September 01, 2014, 02:14:44 pm »

In emails, professors should only be addressed as "your majesty".

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57399 on: September 01, 2014, 02:16:42 pm »

My ex girlfriend just had a video go viral, and I'm getting really tired of seeing it.

It's a video of a spider crawling out of her mouth, if any of you have seen it.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #57400 on: September 01, 2014, 02:18:39 pm »

Dear professor [name, if known];

I missed class because I was playing a fortress simulation game.  I also didn't have time to check what room it was in because I was busy browsing forums and arguing about Ferguson.  Please forgive my indiscretions, and kindly point me to the assigned readings and projects that were assigned.

p.s. I also spilled coffee on the syllabus and some leaked through, landing on my already injured laptop.  Please print me another, using higher-weight paper, so as to prevent this in the future.

Can't wait to attend your class;

F,J
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57401 on: September 01, 2014, 02:19:13 pm »

I just watched a storm miss my house by about five feet. Seriously, it was raining on half the driveway and completely dry on the other half.
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #57402 on: September 01, 2014, 02:34:45 pm »

I just watched a storm miss my house by about five feet. Seriously, it was raining on half the driveway and completely dry on the other half.
.o.

That's awesome.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #57403 on: September 01, 2014, 02:39:23 pm »

Check to see if you have some sort of energy barrier over your house.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #57404 on: September 01, 2014, 02:44:22 pm »

I walked into one of those once. Jumped back in surprise and realized the glorious divide.
Pages: 1 ... 3825 3826 [3827] 3828 3829 ... 10983