Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4124 4125 [4126] 4127 4128 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13186808 times)

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #61875 on: October 30, 2014, 08:49:41 pm »

I always did wonder, was Chich saying that D&D ACTUALLY gives you magic powers, or just that people think it does? Because if the former he's directing people towards it, and if the latter he's not helping.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61876 on: October 30, 2014, 08:50:51 pm »

...that Halloween celebrates Satan's birthday...

What. Seriously. Halloween was originally ALL HALLOWS EVE, a CHRISTIAN holiday. Before this, I thought Jack Chick was just a really fanatical and behind the times religious dude. Now? I just think he's fucking insane.

All those 80's Era religious crusaders are insane as far as I can tell. One of the main anti-D&D groups was writing back then about how the spell words you have to say in original D&D were real satanic rituals, and Gary Gygax went to a satanic coven to make sure he got the words right, despite the fact that there were no actual spell words in D&D at all. These people never let simple facts get in the way of their crusades.

http://www.chick.com/articles/dnd.asp

In the late 1970's, a couple of the game writers actually came to my wife and I as prominent "sorcerers" in the community. They wanted to make certain the rituals were authentic. For the most part, they are.

These two guys sat in our living room and took copious notes from us on how to make sure the rituals were truly right "from the book," (this meaning that they actually came from magic grimoires or workbooks). They seemed satisfied with what they got and left us thankfully.

Back in 1986, a fellow appeared on The 700 Club who was a former employee and game writer for TSR. He testified right on the show that he got into a wrangle with the management there because he saw that the rituals were too authentic and could be dangerous. He protested to his boss and was basically told that this was the intent—to make the games as real as possible. He felt conscience-stricken (even though he was not a Christian at the time), and felt he had to resign from the company.

What rituals exactly? I've owned copies of every versions since AD&D 1st ed. Can't remember any "rituals" that could in any way be refered to as authentic witchcraft. Rolling dice is a ritual maybe?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 08:58:09 pm by Reelya »

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #61877 on: October 30, 2014, 08:52:13 pm »

If your character reaches a high enough level Satan starts giving you magic powers, apparently. Which means 20th level wizards must be the shit.
Though I'm wondering how Chick would take a Paladin of Christ (as a hypothetical class).
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61878 on: October 30, 2014, 08:52:32 pm »

I always did wonder, was Chich saying that D&D ACTUALLY gives you magic powers, or just that people think it does? Because if the former he's directing people towards it, and if the latter he's not helping.
He's insinuating that D&D actually gives you magic powers. Then again, he's a nutcase. Also, I'm very disappointed in my lack of fireball throwing.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61879 on: October 30, 2014, 08:53:11 pm »

If your character reaches a high enough level Satan starts giving you magic powers, apparently. Which means 20th level wizards must be the shit.
Though I'm wondering how Chick would take a Paladin of Christ (as a hypothetical class).
So you do get real magic powers?
Sign me up m8 I'm all for that.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #61880 on: October 30, 2014, 08:56:22 pm »

He's insinuating that D&D actually gives you magic powers. Then again, he's a nutcase. Also, I'm very disappointed in my lack of fireball throwing.
Silly MZ, you're perfectly capable of throwing fireballs. You just need the proper components of hairspray and a match. It's more like a lesser fireball, but... eh.

Everyone can cast it, even! One of those easy to cobble together spells you can conjure up from your local grocery store.

Magic's easy, really. All you have to do is a little chemistry and then scream at people in welsh.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #61881 on: October 30, 2014, 08:58:47 pm »

Yeah, apparently the main character of Dark Dungeons learns Dominate Person or something, then uses it for the lamest conceivable purpose: brainwashing her father to buy her more D&D books.

I also recall hearing that Chick converted to Christianity after listening to a radio show.
-snip-
*Takes out die bag*
I'm game.
One sec, lemme just pick some spells guys, I'm probably like a 3rd level sorcerer with no powers by now
Ok, NOW I have a reason to make the lampshadiest paladin ever concieved.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61882 on: October 30, 2014, 08:59:43 pm »

*Takes out die bag*
I'm game.
My dice are so numerous that they no longer fit in any regular sized dice bag. I keep them in a cereal bowl, and may move them to something bigger soon. This is what I get for always being the DM and homebrewing my own game. (I also have a pair of d10s that only I, of my group, can read. They're katakana, and I use them specifically for fudging rolls.) ^_^

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #61883 on: October 30, 2014, 09:01:21 pm »

Ok, NOW I have a reason to make the lampshadiest paladin ever concieved.
Actually, now I'm wondering if anyone has done statblocks for the biblical prophets. What kind of class spread would Moses have needed to fake all of exodus?
Ask not!
Ask!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61884 on: October 30, 2014, 09:02:17 pm »

Yeah, apparently the main character of Dark Dungeons learns Dominate Person or something, then uses it for the lamest conceivable purpose: brainwashing her father to buy her more D&D books.
I can think of many significantly more useful and illegal things to do with that.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61885 on: October 30, 2014, 09:09:15 pm »

I just tried to alt+tab to the book I'm reading.

What.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61886 on: October 30, 2014, 09:16:45 pm »

*Takes out die bag*
I'm game.
My dice are so numerous that they no longer fit in any regular sized dice bag. I keep them in a cereal bowl, and may move them to something bigger soon. This is what I get for always being the DM and homebrewing my own game. (I also have a pair of d10s that only I, of my group, can read. They're katakana, and I use them specifically for fudging rolls.) ^_^
I prefer quality over quantity, so when I can, I'm gonna get a copper/bronze dice set and use that almost exclusively.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #61887 on: October 30, 2014, 09:18:04 pm »

What.
I have done that exact same thing. More than once >_>

The bright side is most of the time I actually can alt-tab to the book I'm reading. Digital master race~
Ask not!
Ask!

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #61888 on: October 30, 2014, 09:18:46 pm »

I prefer quality over quantity, so when I can, I'm gonna get a copper/bronze dice set and use that almost exclusively.

b-but what will you do when your dice misbehave?

What.

The bright side is most of the time I actually can alt-tab to the book I'm reading. Digital master race~

heh. i am strictly a paper book man.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #61889 on: October 30, 2014, 09:19:45 pm »

What.

I WILL FIGHT YOU, EBOOK SCUM :P
I can think of many significantly more useful and illegal things to do with that.
I once built a character around pulling this kind of shit, who made a point of dragging off random people and abusing the rules of Hypnotism (with some Charm Person thrown in) on them, starting with a minor NPC who existed for the sole purpose of operating a ferry, then moving up through telling a guard to be "helpful", then using "helpful" in a sentence every time I wanted him to do stuff for me. Enchantment spells are great if your DM's chill with using it in not-directly-combat-related situations.

In fact, I'm still running her.

Anyway. If I remember right, Chick's works also feature the Catholic Church having concocted atheism, Islam, and maybe Judaism, all to lead Protestants astray, and having a computer dossier on every Protestant on the planet, planning to kill them all someday.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.
Pages: 1 ... 4124 4125 [4126] 4127 4128 ... 10983