Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4176 4177 [4178] 4179 4180 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13189665 times)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #62655 on: November 09, 2014, 04:07:25 am »

Something about how people were using invisitext or something.
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #62656 on: November 09, 2014, 04:17:04 am »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #62657 on: November 09, 2014, 04:47:24 am »

ALL HURRICANE ALL TORNADO
ALL LIGHTNING AND ALL
SNOW ARE CREATED WITH
GASSES ALL FLORIDA FROST
ARE CREATED WITH GASSES
GLOBAL WARMING IS CREATED
WITH GASSES
Is this actually the most sane/least insane thing written on that truck?
At least it makes more sense than all of the people saying there's no such thing as global warming. And with a bit of a... generous... interpretation, it's completely accurate.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62658 on: November 09, 2014, 05:33:29 am »

In Everquest, Kobolds were these big (slightly larger than human) dog-like things that kept slaves, dug huge mines, and barked a lot.
That sounds more like a gnoll.

Why do games keep using kobolds and gnolls interchangeably? DX

they changed all the definitions. Gnolls were originally described in Original D&D editions as a cross between a Gnome and a Troll. Only later they retconned them as hyena people . And Kobolds were the original dog people. The changes were in the AD&D editions, but the vast majority of people played the boxed set editions (non-AD&D versions) until the early 90's when 2nd Edition AD&D became the #1 system (even then a lot of people ignored the changes to kobolds and kept them as dog people because it was what people grew up with). I couldn't even buy 1st Edition AD&D anywhere that I grew up, all stores were selling Basic. So the majority of fans up until the early 90's view kobolds as dog people and gnolls as a small troll. Everquest is clearly influenced by the main boxed set D&D.

Since Gygax didn't invent any of these creatures and pretty much changed his mind several times about what each one looks like (with concurrent editions of D&D contradicting each other), there's not reason for people to "stick" to any specific Current-Gygax definition like Mr. Gygax is some sort of sage and we have to go with whichever is his most recent pronouncement of what each monster looks like.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 05:47:53 am by Reelya »

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62659 on: November 09, 2014, 05:51:02 am »

I view Gnolls and Kobolds as they are in "Baldur's Gate". Hyena beasts and horned dog/rat things. Well, of course different depending on what the setting says but that's the default that comes to my mind.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #62660 on: November 09, 2014, 08:24:44 am »

Just discovered a photograph that shows that my Grandfather played a part in liberating a concentration camp where a massacre was ongoing in the last weeks of WW2. I know that he saw some shit in that conflict, but nothing quite as messed up as that. Lest we forget, right?
This is a blank sig.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62661 on: November 09, 2014, 08:25:51 am »

ALL HURRICANE ALL TORNADO
ALL LIGHTNING AND ALL
SNOW ARE CREATED WITH
GASSES ALL FLORIDA FROST
ARE CREATED WITH GASSES
GLOBAL WARMING IS CREATED
WITH GASSES
Is this actually the most sane/least insane thing written on that truck?
At least it makes more sense than all of the people saying there's no such thing as global warming. And with a bit of a... generous... interpretation, it's completely accurate.
There's no generous interpretation needed. It's literally true.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62662 on: November 09, 2014, 08:30:16 am »

Just discovered a photograph that shows that my Grandfather played a part in liberating a concentration camp where a massacre was ongoing in the last weeks of WW2. I know that he saw some shit in that conflict, but nothing quite as messed up as that. Lest we forget, right?
o_o Wow... did he ever talk about his experiences in the war? At least the more sanitary ones? I could certainly understand why he would clam up about that sort of thing. I'm pretty sure my grandfather experienced some traumatising things during the war(s), not that I have any detailed photos/stories to investigate, sadly. I don't really know that side of the family, given that they live almost on the other side of the world.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #62663 on: November 09, 2014, 09:01:41 am »

What the fuck just happened in Rage Thread?
Dry humping and neon lights.
That's all you need to know.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

MonkeyHead

• Bay Watcher
  • Yma o hyd...
    • View Profile
« Reply #62664 on: November 09, 2014, 09:50:41 am »

o_o Wow... did he ever talk about his experiences in the war? At least the more sanitary ones? I could certainly understand why he would clam up about that sort of thing. I'm pretty sure my grandfather experienced some traumatising things during the war(s), not that I have any detailed photos/stories to investigate, sadly. I don't really know that side of the family, given that they live almost on the other side of the world.

He did not like to talk about things much, and he died many years ago some time before I was 10. He did talk with my dad about some things which we have discussed over the years, including his involvement in D-Day (he led a team who operated a Bofors Gun, and was driving the truck pulling the gun on a trailer. The trailer hit what he thinks was a buried 2000 lb bomb, wiping most of his squad and the gun, so he drove the truck up and down the beach offering cover and recovering the wounded), and operation Market Garden (when cut off behind enemy lines somewhere in the Netherlands, he passed himself off as a Dutch shopkeeper, telling a handful of German soldiers who asked him where the soldiers they were looking for were hiding that they were "Niet in de winkel - proberen in de kelder" / "not in the shop, try in the cellar". He then apparently dropped a few grenades in after them before barricading the door and running outta there, making it back to Allied lines by morning). I already knew he was some kind of "made from granite" hard man, but finding this out today hit me quite hard.

His wife, my Gran, was a font of crazy war stories. She was a nurse assigned to work in wards and hospitals where wounded PoW's were treated. She was seconded to one of the MI's, and was charged with getting as much valuable intel from the captured enemy as possible. She used this to her advantage of course, wrapping poor wounded men around her fingers.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 09:53:06 am by MonkeyHead »
This is a blank sig.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62665 on: November 09, 2014, 12:25:25 pm »

My stepdad was complaining earlier about how he could smell the weed smoke from his room all the way in the kitchen and wondering aloud how anyone could smoke that indoors. Guess who was smoking that weed? No really, guess.

Then he went on some kind of Christian superiority spiel, which he always does before or after going to church.

and operation Market Garden (when cut off behind enemy lines somewhere in the Netherlands, he passed himself off as a Dutch shopkeeper, telling a handful of German soldiers who asked him where the soldiers they were looking for were hiding that they were "Niet in de winkel - proberen in de kelder" / "not in the shop, try in the cellar". He then apparently dropped a few grenades in after them before barricading the door and running outta there, making it back to Allied lines by morning).
Wow, that actually sounded pretty badass.

What the fuck just happened in Rage Thread?
Dry humping and neon lights.
That's all you need to know.

And it shall NOT be brought to this thread.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

TamerVirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who cares
    • View Profile
« Reply #62666 on: November 09, 2014, 12:44:12 pm »

I wonder... What would happen if someone made a new rage thread just to spite the lock?
What can mysteriously disappear can mysteriously reappear
*Shakes fist at TamerVirus*

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #62667 on: November 09, 2014, 12:59:44 pm »

don't tempt f8 m8
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #62668 on: November 09, 2014, 01:02:28 pm »

Civil war.

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #62669 on: November 09, 2014, 01:02:46 pm »

Its locked?