Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4364 4365 [4366] 4367 4368 ... 10980

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13137998 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #65475 on: December 15, 2014, 10:02:24 pm »

Anyone notice that as an Adult the thought of even saying Please seems to be a faux pas?

I've pretty much grown out of even putting it in my vocabulary because people use please as a means to beg.

"Can you pass me a pop?" versus "Can you pass me a pop... Please?"

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65476 on: December 15, 2014, 10:05:13 pm »

Anyone notice that as an Adult the thought of even saying Please seems to be a faux pas?
I've always had an aversion to the word.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65477 on: December 15, 2014, 10:05:34 pm »

Usually please is implicit in the tone of your words.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65478 on: December 15, 2014, 10:08:26 pm »

I almost always include it. Always have.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #65479 on: December 15, 2014, 10:12:29 pm »

This. But then I'm Southern. "Please" and "thank you" and "ma'am" are kind of bred into you from birth here.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #65480 on: December 15, 2014, 10:13:38 pm »

This. But then I'm Southern. "Please" and "thank you" and "ma'am" are kind of bred into you from birth here.
So are you gonna offer me some iced tea or what?

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #65481 on: December 15, 2014, 10:28:46 pm »

Some biscuits and pecan pie, too.

Iced tea being an abomination unto tastebuds for me always has been a social awkwardness, down here.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #65482 on: December 15, 2014, 10:32:20 pm »

So are you gonna offer me some iced tea or what?
What can I say, we're a generous culture, spreading True Tea far and wide throughout the world.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #65483 on: December 15, 2014, 10:39:38 pm »

Quite so. It's not about begging or being subservient or whatever, it's about demonstrating a basic level of respect for others and their efforts. It's like holding the door for the person behind you, helping someone with a heavy load get up some stairs, and so on. If you've ever worked a thankless wage-slave job where customers treat you like crap, you should know full well how even simple courtesies can mean the world on a bad day.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65484 on: December 16, 2014, 12:00:24 am »

But I am from teh norf! Then again, my personal philosophy is mostly just, "Don't be a dick if you can help it," and being polite to people is part of that. Also, it's very important to be polite in the dojo. Doubly so because everyone can get away with punching you in the face for being a douche.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65485 on: December 16, 2014, 12:03:37 am »

Quite so. It's not about begging or being subservient or whatever, it's about demonstrating a basic level of respect for others and their efforts. It's like holding the door for the person behind you, helping someone with a heavy load get up some stairs, and so on. If you've ever worked a thankless wage-slave job where customers treat you like crap, you should know full well how even simple courtesies can mean the world on a bad day.

And when it is a mandatory thing you hand out to everyone it becomes like saying "I'm fine". It becomes less common courtesy and more of a rule to the extent that not following it is considered the exact opposite of using it.

In otherwords in your scenario please becomes normative, and not saying it becomes being an insult.

I say Thank you, but I never say please... and I only say Thank You when it is needed.

Though I guess it is because my main experience of please is that it is always something someone whips out either the second time they ask you for something... OR it is something someone forces you to do when you ask them for something. Making it either a word people use to beg you or others force you to beg them.

No wait, there is a situation I do say "Please" normally... It is when someone asks me if they can do something for me I say "Yes Please".
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 12:09:24 am by Neonivek »

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #65486 on: December 16, 2014, 01:11:17 am »

I normally only use the polite words when dealing with strangers, I'm talking to a representative of a group or when it just feels appropriate. Traditionally, I should also use them with the elderly, but I don't usually look much at the age of whom I'm talking to

Also, please don't diss ice tea. Yes, it tastes off if it's poorly made, but try out the good stuff before you generalize.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #65487 on: December 16, 2014, 01:16:05 am »

I'm Canadian. I think that shows my behaviour re: politeness. :P

I don't say please, though. But my tone and words tend to get that across. "Would you kindly?"
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #65488 on: December 16, 2014, 01:16:29 am »

... frumple is in south. Have tried iced tea of many varia-teas, much to own chagrin. All tasted terrible to me. Something about making tea cold turns me cold. Was nothing wrong with the tea, not poorly made, etc., etc. Just... is nasty. Tea is only tolerable hot. Otherwise it's just urgh.

Well. The sodatea is an exception, there. It's alright cold. That stuff doesn't count, though. It barely counts as anything but a sugary bioweapon.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2014, 01:18:04 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

the1337doofus

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Lurker
    • View Profile
« Reply #65489 on: December 16, 2014, 01:44:13 am »

... frumple is in south. Have tried iced tea of many varia-teas, much to own chagrin. All tasted terrible to me. Something about making tea cold turns me cold. Was nothing wrong with the tea, not poorly made, etc., etc. Just... is nasty. Tea is only tolerable hot. Otherwise it's just urgh.

Well. The sodatea is an exception, there. It's alright cold. That stuff doesn't count, though. It barely counts as anything but a sugary bioweapon.
You've obviously not had good iced tea then. The stuff down here in georgia... well, it's the same stuff if you get it at like, a chain restaraunt, but the actual stuff down here (IE: the stuff yer' grandma would prolly make) is damn good. Although Hot Tea is much better in the winter.... Iced Tea is more of a summer thing.

alsoArizonaisn't_southern_intheUSAsenseofthewordit'stooclosetocommiefornia
Quote from: /k/
Multiple babies means that the force is distributed per baby, so less force total per baby.
burning dwarves is a sign of productivity
Pages: 1 ... 4364 4365 [4366] 4367 4368 ... 10980