Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4575 4576 [4577] 4578 4579 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13169283 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #68640 on: January 30, 2015, 09:20:07 am »

You know, I quite like where I live. I feel pretty immune to the rest of the world here.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I mean, it's the middle of f*cking nowhere, but still.

I love the penultimate pic.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

StupidElves

• Bay Watcher
  • I coveted that wind, I suppose.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68641 on: January 30, 2015, 09:32:45 am »

School system is weird here, too. There's no such thing as high school freshmen here, because high school starts at grade 10 instead of 9. Likewise, middle school starts at grade 7 instead of 6.

And you know your town is rural when there is only one McDonald's and one Burger King nearby. Though I do live within driving distance of Dollywood.

I've  been to Dollywood, thought it was fun.

Accidentally made over 5000 copper maces once. I have no idea how that happened.

GENERATION 29:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #68642 on: January 30, 2015, 10:35:05 am »

From the title you'd think this was important...
Wow, holy shit, the first case has the right outcome but totally the wrong rule of law (which ought to have been that the permission of somebody on the premises takes priority over the denial of somebody absent) turns out the article is misleading and that's exactly what the rule of law was, on reading the case, but the second one is simple madness.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 10:38:26 am by Bauglir »
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68643 on: January 30, 2015, 11:30:43 am »

From the title you'd think this was important...
Wow, holy shit, the first case has the right outcome but totally the wrong rule of law (which ought to have been that the permission of somebody on the premises takes priority over the denial of somebody absent) turns out the article is misleading and that's exactly what the rule of law was, on reading the case, but the second one is simple madness.
Yes, that got me too for a minute. That's highly effective, subtle clickbait (vs. "The police entered a mans house after he denied them entrance, YOU'LL NEVER BELIEVE HOW THE COURT RULED!!!").
You're like "holy crap what? What's wrong with the american legal sy... oh, no, that's actually quite reasonable"

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #68644 on: January 30, 2015, 12:36:13 pm »

They should've gone with the second one for the headline. "Your lawyer-paying funds can be frozen if the reason you're in court is related to how you got your money" is actually serious business.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

McDonald

• Bay Watcher
  • Passwords get hidden, who knew? ••••••••
    • View Profile
« Reply #68645 on: January 30, 2015, 02:34:09 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nk2wViKSh_M

Also this describes me perfectly:
atheist "Nice Guys", likely libertarian, plays PC games all day, socially awkward. They'll talk your ear off about TF2 or ponies or whatever they're into.
I'm with stupid |
                      v

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #68646 on: January 30, 2015, 02:39:41 pm »

I'd totally be a nice guy if I knew how to be nice.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #68647 on: January 30, 2015, 02:49:34 pm »

Nice Guy, caps-wise.

See: https://xkcd.com/513/

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68648 on: January 30, 2015, 02:51:23 pm »

Not acting like an asshole = Nice
(T)rue/(F)alse?

If so, I can say with some high percentile surety that I am nice guy under that very limited definition, most of the time, in meatspace.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #68649 on: January 30, 2015, 02:52:43 pm »

... I'd totally be a Nice Guy if I had precisely zero self-confidence?
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #68650 on: January 30, 2015, 02:53:45 pm »

I'm referring specifically to the phenomenon where they are Nice Guys and thus Deserve Romance but Women Are Bitches Who Only Date Jerks.

And they don't get the irony.

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68651 on: January 30, 2015, 02:55:36 pm »

How do you determine so much about all these people at a glance? Do they all actually just stand there yelling HEY, I'M SUPER NICE BUT NO ONE DATES ME, WANT TO TALK ABOUT TF2?! ALSO I DON'T BELIEVE IN A HIGHER POWER!

We, a community dedicated around a niche game of ASCII characters representing psychopathic dwarves, are now profiling and judging other people who we don't even really know? Have we sunk this far? (also, spell correct really want's me to correct dwarves to wharves... wtf?). And does this topic really have to come up AGAIN?! Didn't someone just request we stop talking about this yesterday? Need we fall down this slippery slope over and over? We've already lost too many forum members to this...

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68652 on: January 30, 2015, 02:56:14 pm »

I'd totally be a nice guy if I knew how to be nice.
The term isn't as flattering as you think it is.

Also this describes me perfectly:
atheist "Nice Guys", likely libertarian, plays PC games all day, socially awkward. They'll talk your ear off about TF2 or ponies or whatever they're into.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68654 on: January 30, 2015, 03:01:30 pm »

Source? Context?
No clue, picked it up off a /d/ humour thread.
Your guess and/or reverse image search is as good as mine.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 4575 4576 [4577] 4578 4579 ... 10983