Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4602 4603 [4604] 4605 4606 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13174020 times)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #69045 on: February 05, 2015, 09:48:58 pm »

I had a science teacher once that insisted that your eyes changing color was impossible. While he accused me of wearing cosmetic contacts because my eyes were a different color than they'd been the day before.
My eyes changed colors back when I was a kid.
They stopped after a few years, but I remember that, and they changed on a weekly basis, too. It was fast.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69046 on: February 05, 2015, 10:06:58 pm »

I had a linguistics professor who adamantly maintained English had no voiced stops and they were actually voiceless unaspirated. I guess I just imagined the vibration in my throat, then.
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69047 on: February 05, 2015, 10:08:48 pm »

I had a linguistics professor who adamantly maintained English had no voiced stops and they were actually voiceless unaspirated. I guess I just imagined the vibration in my throat, then.

Linguistics is probably one of the sciences that has the most pseudo-science mixed in with it.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69048 on: February 05, 2015, 10:34:41 pm »

Linguistics is probably one of the sciences that has the most pseudo-science mixed in with it.
More that it's on the softer edge of science, which correlates with how many competing theories there are in it. The big outlier, of course, is physics, which is so hard that it's gone horseshoe into an all-out abstract circlejerk about how the universe works.

But... I mean, the professor's claim is just flat-out wrong. It's just provably false by anyone who can put their fingers against their Adam's apple and say "bagged".
« Last Edit: February 05, 2015, 10:36:49 pm by SealyStar »
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

TheDarkStar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69049 on: February 05, 2015, 10:36:18 pm »

Physics went wayyyyy past "Duh, this is how the world works" to "I have no idea what this means, but the equations work out right and we can make cool lasors with it".
Don't die; it's bad for your health!

it happened it happened it happen im so hyped to actually get attacked now

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #69050 on: February 05, 2015, 10:44:13 pm »

...anyone who can put their fingers against their Adam's apple and say "bagged".
* Tawarochir attempts this

...Oh gods why did you do this to my anatomy
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69051 on: February 05, 2015, 10:45:16 pm »

...anyone who can put their fingers against their Adam's apple and say "bagged".
* Tawarochir attempts this

...Oh gods why did you do this to my anatomy
You brought this on yourself.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69052 on: February 05, 2015, 10:49:27 pm »

Physics went wayyyyy past "Duh, this is how the world works" to "I have no idea what this means, but the equations work out right and we can make cool lasors with it".

Fairly typical of physics to teach you the math before teaching you its significance or what it even means.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #69053 on: February 05, 2015, 11:03:18 pm »

More that it's on the softer edge of science, which correlates with how many competing theories there are in it. The big outlier, of course, is physics, which is so hard that it's gone horseshoe into an all-out abstract circlejerk about how the universe works.

But... I mean, the professor's claim is just flat-out wrong. It's just provably false by anyone who can put their fingers against their Adam's apple and say "bagged".

He's not wrong. English really just has a strong and a weak series of stops, which manifest word-initially as an aspiration distinction and word-medially as a voicing distinction.

How can you test this? English stops are voiceless but unaspirated in word-initial clusters after /s/- so while pie is [pʰai] (with aspiration), spy is [spai] (with no aspiration).

If you record a native English speaker saying spy, then mess around with the recording to delete the /s/ (this is easily done in a program called Praat, which is free to download and which linguists use all the time), and then play the result to a native English speaker, they'll hear by. In other words, word-initially, aspiration is the salient feature- not voicing. (Weak stops are usually at least a little voiced word-initially, but that's not what we listen for, in other words.)

This sort of situation, where a set of sounds cuts across two categories that are usually well-defined, is not actually very unusual. Most of the indigenous languages of Brazil have a system where nasal vowels are phonemic (like in French or Portuguese), and there's a series of stops that are just plain voiced stops [b d g] before non-nasal vowels, but nasals [m n ŋ] before nasal vowels. These contrast with the plain unvoiced stops, which don't vary like this. Are they nasals or voiced stops, underlyingly? There's a good case to be made for both.

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #69056 on: February 05, 2015, 11:42:31 pm »

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/2a/a0/e5/2aa0e5b039d826dfd1279be32feb46ed.jpg
oh jesus

I nearly choked. Thanks, Xantalos.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Xantalos

• Bay Watcher
  • Your Friendly Salvation
    • View Profile
« Reply #69057 on: February 06, 2015, 12:01:36 am »

oh jesus

I nearly choked. Thanks, Xantalos.
Dammit!
Sig! Onol
Quote from: BFEL
XANTALOS, THE KARATEBOMINATION
Quote from: Toaster
((The Xantalos Die: [1, 1, 1, 6, 6, 6]))

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #69058 on: February 06, 2015, 12:14:25 am »

He's not wrong. English really just has a strong and a weak series of stops, which manifest word-initially as an aspiration distinction and word-medially as a voicing distinction.

How can you test this? English stops are voiceless but unaspirated in word-initial clusters after /s/- so while pie is [pʰai] (with aspiration), spy is [spai] (with no aspiration).

If you record a native English speaker saying spy, then mess around with the recording to delete the /s/ (this is easily done in a program called Praat, which is free to download and which linguists use all the time), and then play the result to a native English speaker, they'll hear by. In other words, word-initially, aspiration is the salient feature- not voicing. (Weak stops are usually at least a little voiced word-initially, but that's not what we listen for, in other words.)

This sort of situation, where a set of sounds cuts across two categories that are usually well-defined, is not actually very unusual. Most of the indigenous languages of Brazil have a system where nasal vowels are phonemic (like in French or Portuguese), and there's a series of stops that are just plain voiced stops [b d g] before non-nasal vowels, but nasals [m n ŋ] before nasal vowels. These contrast with the plain unvoiced stops, which don't vary like this. Are they nasals or voiced stops, underlyingly? There's a good case to be made for both.
Maybe he's right about how some people talk, but I can clearly feel the voicing in [b d g] while he suggests that they are always realized as [p t k]. He actually showed us stuff in Praat and while I agree it's hard for me to tell the difference between voiceless unaspirated and voiced, there is definitely a voicing difference the way most English speakers say them that he unilaterally denied existing. It may only be one part of the contrast but it's definitely there.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 4602 4603 [4604] 4605 4606 ... 10983