Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4656 4657 [4658] 4659 4660 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13185392 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #69855 on: February 14, 2015, 07:48:48 pm »

Nevermind that prostitutes in those time periods could have been incredibly influential or even members of nobility themselves.
I somewhat doubt that. Remembering that D&D is generic "swords and sorcery" fantasy, not Real World Middle Ages, so "those time periods" is a little ambiguous.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 07:52:55 pm by Orange Wizard »
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #69856 on: February 14, 2015, 07:51:15 pm »

I don't see the "WTF" factor here honestly. A generator that basically gets "personality" for a hypothetical "harlot" character... Seems rather useful especially since prostitutes are a good source of information.
Um. It's a table that specifically tells you what kind of prostitute a randomly found prostitute is.

That doesn't seem just a little over-inclusive to you?
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69857 on: February 14, 2015, 08:01:17 pm »

Ok I am going to have to be the moron here.

I just flat out don't know what you guys mean.

over-inclusive?

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #69858 on: February 14, 2015, 08:02:24 pm »

Most entries in that list are different stereotypes/euphemisms that refer to the same general thing.  The first half is basically interchangeable.  I would be hard pressed to think of a concrete difference between "Brazen Strumpet" and "Wanton Wench".

You might as well just flip a coin to decide upper vs lower class prostitute, which is basically what that list is.  Except that the context you meet her in should already decide that :/
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69859 on: February 14, 2015, 08:03:17 pm »

Brazen... Hot headed

Wanton... Wanting

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #69860 on: February 14, 2015, 08:03:39 pm »

I somewhat doubt that. Remembering that D&D is generic "swords and sorcery" fantasy, not Real World Middle Ages, so "those time periods" is a little ambiguous.
It actually did occur from time to time in human history -- particularly influential whores, mistresses, etc., etc., etc. Some achieved nobility, generally through marriage, and it's not a particularly era-locked thing, having occurred off and on pretty much all throughout history. It's not really a terribly out there claim -- there's a reason the influential fleshworker is as common a literary trope as it is.

For D&D shenanigans, you'd expect it to not only be possible, but likely. I mean, hell, you have Ishtar. Probably others, too. You're dealing with a world that not only has prostitutes, you're dealing with a world that has prostitutes that could jam a morning star down your throat and go on to immolate the surrounding countryside with high level divine magic. There's definitely going to be some in high positions, if only because they happened to have kicked everyone's ass that said no.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #69861 on: February 14, 2015, 08:25:55 pm »

re. whores in fantasy settings

Have any of you read Zandar's Saga?

EDIT:

Also, have any of you ever encountered the NBoUCK
http://www.lysator.liu.se/~johol/netbooks/CarnalGuide/carnal.txt
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 10:36:09 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #69862 on: February 14, 2015, 08:41:15 pm »

It actually did occur from time to time in human history -- particularly influential whores, mistresses, etc., etc., etc. Some achieved nobility, generally through marriage, and it's not a particularly era-locked thing, having occurred off and on pretty much all throughout history. It's not really a terribly out there claim -- there's a reason the influential fleshworker is as common a literary trope as it is.

For D&D shenanigans, you'd expect it to not only be possible, but likely. I mean, hell, you have Ishtar. Probably others, too. You're dealing with a world that not only has prostitutes, you're dealing with a world that has prostitutes that could jam a morning star down your throat and go on to immolate the surrounding countryside with high level divine magic. There's definitely going to be some in high positions, if only because they happened to have kicked everyone's ass that said no.
I was mostly telling Neonivek that he was being vague, rather than "hurr durr whores are scum and never ever amount to anything ever durr".

Brazen... Hot headed

Wanton... Wanting
Wanton means something more along the lines of "does what he likes" rather than "horny".
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69863 on: February 14, 2015, 09:12:24 pm »

I was being vague because the "setting" is vague. Dungeons and dragons sort of tends to run the whole gambit.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #69864 on: February 14, 2015, 09:18:46 pm »

You mean gamut?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #69865 on: February 14, 2015, 09:28:03 pm »

I guess it provides a framework for a stereotypically popular theme.  Young horny kids/adults have a way to entice their imaginations.  Everyone elsecan ignore it or just categorize their whores based on flavor.

I imagine it was a  prop; a way to spark the DMs imagination.  But, in order to make it 'content' it needs rules governing it, no?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69867 on: February 14, 2015, 10:06:02 pm »

Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69868 on: February 14, 2015, 10:10:19 pm »

http://imgur.com/gallery/mFxNW

The cringe is real.

That was physically painful.

UUUUUGH!!! I know people like that...

Then I saw that false statistic and so I immediately went to disprove it and go "Aha see you racist your wrong!" but alas I cannot validate or contradict it. Then again I doubt such a thing could be reliably studied.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2015, 10:16:03 pm by Neonivek »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #69869 on: February 14, 2015, 10:25:15 pm »

Then I saw that false statistic and so I immediately went to disprove it and go "Aha see you racist your wrong!" but alas I cannot validate or contradict it. Then again I doubt such a thing could be reliably studied.
'Course it can be studied. "Reliable" just depends on your sample size.
Pages: 1 ... 4656 4657 [4658] 4659 4660 ... 10983