Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4681 4682 [4683] 4684 4685 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13185042 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #70230 on: February 20, 2015, 02:22:00 am »

That we know why is that, I agree, it's fairly well described. But...

We do not know the mechanism at all. There's approximately a zillion theories, several of which don't even claim to be mutually exclusive as to the cause of limited lifespans. New discoveries are made every other day.
Little late here, but I'd like to point out that one of the reasons why there are different ideas at the causes of aging is because aging is actually a combination of a bunch of similar factors all chipping in together at the same time. Just as humans can be killed by a variety of different sources (electrocution, blood loss, suffocation) so to can cells be killed or lose their ability to replicate from a variety of different things (like DNA unraveling, bad mutations, cell rupture, etc.).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #70231 on: February 20, 2015, 02:25:30 am »

PoH, there's skeletons everywhere already. In fact, there's one inside you this very moment.

Hitler got killed by... you guessed it, a man with a skeleton. What's worse, it was his skeleton, and it was inside of him. Think about that for a moment.

Fear the skeleton.
But...skeletons don't...do that.
* Tiruin probably missed a joke here ._.
The joke is playing on how Hitler was killed by his own hand. His skeleton didn't kill him, the man with the skeleton was the man with Hitler's skeleton (i.e. Hitler).
Not even Hitler was safe from Hitler...
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70232 on: February 20, 2015, 02:57:39 am »

So I've been using some mental tricks to help people to sleep.

And its success even against people who usually take sleeping medication makes me honestly wonder how much Insomnia is genuinely mental.

Like, how much of it is not because of some physical ailment (well maybe depression) but because of a mental and emotional one.

---

Also is anyone else weirded out about Romance Subplots in life or death scenarios where a character can basically die at any moment?

I just always want to go "Dude, get your act together. Kiss later, live now!"

It is like the possibility of death gets everyone's libido going into overdrive.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 04:21:55 am by Neonivek »

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #70233 on: February 20, 2015, 05:04:38 am »

It is like the possibility of death gets everyone's libido going into overdrive.
Actually, this has been scientifically been proven to be true.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70234 on: February 20, 2015, 05:50:11 am »

... if folks actually managed to fight the twitch chat into renaming it from an accidentally racist name, then that has to make twitch plays pokemon some kind of concentrated anti-racism...

First the social justice warriors took over gaming journalism. Now they have Twitch Plays Pokemon too. They won't stop until they control everything.

Gaming journalists are almost all middle-class white males. Which makes their SJW anti-gamer stance a little paradoxical, since gamers are almost 50% female, minorities are over-represented (african americans put the most hours into gaming of any demographic. next is hispanics, whites are third, and asians are last), and there is an inverse relationship between gaming hours and income. So, the average gaming journalist is whiter, richer and more male than a random gamer plucked off the street. Hell, since minorities are more likely to be gamers, gamers as a whole are more racially diverse than non-gamers, whereas game journalists are the very image of white patriarchy. Think about that.

Maybe the game journalists could have a point if they skewered game companies for not hiring enough women, but most attacks seem to be at the players, not the creators. I still think game companies have better hiring histories than gaming journalism in terms of diversity though. 22% of the video games workforce are women. What's the ratio with gaming journalist?
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 06:03:43 am by Reelya »

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #70235 on: February 20, 2015, 06:10:44 am »

... if folks actually managed to fight the twitch chat into renaming it from an accidentally racist name, then that has to make twitch plays pokemon some kind of concentrated anti-racism...

First the skeletons took over gaming journalism. Now they have Twitch Plays Pokemon too. They won't stop until they control everything.
It's too late.

They already control everything.
Don't be silly. It's the muscles that control everything, pulling the strings from within. The skeletons are just puppets. WAKE UP, SHEEPLE!
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70236 on: February 20, 2015, 06:52:15 am »

The "Social Justice Warriors" you probably should just ignore in all honesty.

Not that they their overall message is flawed but that they aren't really well respected by gamers anyhow and tend to be polarizing. They are louder then they are effective.

They didn't even take over gaming journalism.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70237 on: February 20, 2015, 07:00:07 am »

Goddammit Neo. I planted that derail to prevent this discussion from happening!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70238 on: February 20, 2015, 07:04:31 am »

Goddammit Neo. I planted that derail to prevent this discussion from happening!

*shrugs*

I guess what I mean is, don't take it so seriously and we should just move on.

---

So I beat Broken Sword 5

And I think it wins the record of game with the LONGEST CREDIT SEQUENCE EVER!

No really, it is over 30 minutes long and is unskippable!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #70239 on: February 20, 2015, 07:08:59 am »

First the skeletons took over gaming journalism. Now they have Twitch Plays Pokemon too. They won't stop until they control everything.
It's too late.

Don't be silly. It's the muscles that control everything, pulling the strings from within. The skeletons are just puppets. WAKE UP, SHEEPLE!
Oh and you really believe that do you? Tell me, when energy is running low is the skeleton forced to give up some of its mass for the good of the body? No of course not, that duty falls to the muscles long before the skeleton even has to think about it. You could say that the skeleton is just there for the convenience of the muscles, but it could just as easily be the other way around! And have you noticed how they're called the "skeletal" muscles?
It's no coincidence.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #70240 on: February 20, 2015, 07:19:42 am »

It's too late.

I think the one that needs to wake up here is you, buddy. You might be taught that the muscles do the work, but that's just propaganda put out by the skeletons.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70241 on: February 20, 2015, 07:20:17 am »

Skeletons are just mad because they aren't considered scary anymore.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #70242 on: February 20, 2015, 07:27:51 am »

It's too late.

Oh and you really believe that do you? Tell me, when energy is running low is the skeleton forced to give up some of its mass for the good of the body? No of course not, that duty falls to the muscles long before the skeleton even has to think about it. You could say that the skeleton is just there for the convenience of the muscles, but it could just as easily be the other way around! And have you noticed how they're called the "skeletal" muscles?
It's no coincidence.
Energy's one thing, but what happens when the calcium runs low? The bones have to go, man. But you got this right, skeletal muscles are just street-level mooks, the real deal are those smooth muscles, the suave bastards call the shots on where the resources go to both skeletal muscles and the skeleton. And they got you in their pocket, man, they left you out to dry, you're DEAD. D-E-A-D.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70243 on: February 20, 2015, 07:29:57 am »

Guys go easy on those ladders.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70244 on: February 20, 2015, 08:27:23 am »

Ok I have to freeken ask this.

If EVERYONE, and I mean everyone, knew that the lack of lifeboats on ships was a huge issue...

Why wasn't this changed far before the Titanic?

This whole "It will never sink and thus Lifeboats are not an issue" seems to not have been the prevailing theory now that I have dived deeper...

I saw the Titanic Movie and I originally thought it was weird for Rose to even mention "How odd, why aren't there enough Lifeboats?" It felt like forced dialog to give the characters "Super Progressive Precognition Powers" (Something I loathe in period pieces) but it seems like it was a constant hanging issue.

And REALLY the whole "cost shaving" thing is a dubious explanation in my head since frankly... how much extra cost could lifeboats add?

---

On a side note: I REALLY dislike "Super Progressive Precognition Powers"

To translate what that is: It is when a character in a piece of fiction is unusually progressive or has knowledge of the future in advance.

So a character might avoid smoking in a time period where it was considered healthy because it is "unhealthy".
« Last Edit: February 20, 2015, 08:48:10 am by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 4681 4682 [4683] 4684 4685 ... 10983