Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4695 4696 [4697] 4698 4699 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13172200 times)

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #70440 on: February 23, 2015, 02:10:11 am »

No female characters pisses off a whole new group of people. And do remember, it is usually a different culture.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #70441 on: February 23, 2015, 02:13:04 am »

Re. Monty Hall

It is worth noting that if you flip a coin to decide whether or not to switch you will have a 50% chance of getting the prize. This is not contrary to it being preferable to switch however, and in fact in some ways depemds on it.

The initial door has a 1/3 chance of containing the prize and you habe a 1/2 chance of selecting that door, that's a 1 in 6 chance. The other door has a 2/3 chance of containing the prize and you have a 1/2 chance of selecting it. That's an additional 2 in 6 chance of finding the prize for a total chance of 3 in 6.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #70442 on: February 23, 2015, 02:15:44 am »

Re. Monty Hall
I'm...still confused about the idea (or the video links people bring up)--speaking statistically, I'm querying the context. Why is it assumed that there's a "1/3" chance or whichever? Probable permutations of a set?
...I'm unsure how to understand this ._. It seems like trying to mindread the host, which in a completely neutral situation would really still seem like a 50-50 outcome.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70443 on: February 23, 2015, 02:15:55 am »

No female characters pisses off a whole new group of people. And do remember, it is usually a different culture.

If any medium could justify it without pissing off any group of people (except perverts I guess) it would be anime.

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70444 on: February 23, 2015, 02:17:46 am »

People will be pissed off by anything.
No female characters? Feminists and such get angry that there's no female lead.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70445 on: February 23, 2015, 02:18:45 am »

People will be pissed off by anything.
No female characters? Feminists and such get angry that there's no female lead.

Why?

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70446 on: February 23, 2015, 02:21:05 am »

I don't bloody know, I'm not a feminist. People like diversity in their media.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #70447 on: February 23, 2015, 02:28:37 am »

HOLY CRAP JAVASCRIPT'S ERRORS ARE COMPLETELY AWFUL

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #70448 on: February 23, 2015, 02:35:25 am »

Unless your protagonist is Mulan, it's piss easy to pass the Bechdel test. Which is why it's annoying when people ignore it for no good reason.

Of course, there are medias where feminism isn't relevant (i.e. James Bond) but then there are medias where it won't kill the writer to just throw in a couple strong female characters. It's like trying to bake a normal cake and insisting that you'll only put flour in and nothing else.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #70449 on: February 23, 2015, 02:43:13 am »

The first... Though I don't care the female characters look sexy or something like that.

I just want to get through one right now that doesn't have these features
1) Male Gaze: Yep her breasts SURE are important I am sure...
2) Sexual harassment: Yep, sure is funny anime... I mean don't we all pants women and laugh?
3) Female Body Issues that are built to draw attention to male standards of beauty: Yeah just keep calling that thirty year old woman old... I am sure it is hilarious that the society is such a youth culture that not being a young woman instantly makes you a hag... HILL FREEKEN LARIOUS!

As long as these three features are absent I'll be fine. Heck I'll take one with no female characters.

I'd normally be able to ignore it but I recently watched a series that has made me feel rather dirty.
I'd suggest Hokuto no Ken.

No, seriously. It passes all those points.

There's even women in there that kick some serious ass.

And of course ripped-as-fuck guys ripping each other to shreds, manly men shedding manly tears and exploding leather vests that get magically replaced after each vest-exploding incident.
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70450 on: February 23, 2015, 02:45:01 am »

Unless your protagonist is Mulan, it's piss easy to pass the Bechdel test. Which is why it's annoying when people ignore it for no good reason.

Well it should be ignored, in fact its ability to remain accurate relies on people ignoring it. While following it doesn't improve the quality of fiction.

Just make well written female characters with their own arcs that they solve by their own power... DONE!

Actually that is usually my three step requirements! Just for fun I am adding two more.
1) Make the female character competent within the sphere of the fiction.
2) Give her a goal, arc, or plotline separate from our main character.
and
3) Let her solve it by her own strength, it doesn't nessisarily mean she does it solo. It only means that someone else doesn't solve it for her.
4) She, at no point, becomes incompetent.
5) If she becomes indisposed, it must further her character or the scene independently from our protagonist.

So we have Astrid for example... She passes 1 and 2... But fails 3 (Guess being a Warrior doesn't matter anymore)... Fails 4 and fails 5. She goes from wanting to be a warrior to just being chumped. Had she done really well against the dragon but ultimately it just wasn't enough in that movie... She would have passed 3, 4, and 5.

It is these five rules that I judge fiction and not the Bechdel test. So long as the female character passes those, it gets my thumbs up!
« Last Edit: February 23, 2015, 04:02:33 am by Neonivek »

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #70451 on: February 23, 2015, 04:15:27 am »

I'm not saying that following the Bechdel test improve a work of fiction, I'm just saying that it doesn't make it worse, so if you can't be bothered to write decent characters then you should at least try to pass the test.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70452 on: February 23, 2015, 04:23:17 am »

Of course, there are medias where feminism isn't relevant (i.e. James Bond) but then there are medias where it won't kill the writer to just throw in a couple strong female characters. It's like trying to bake a normal cake and insisting that you'll only put flour in and nothing else.
Throwing in token characters is generally a waste of resources, and will often piss everyone off, your usual fanbase included. This is true of all forms of media.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #70453 on: February 23, 2015, 04:25:36 am »

Token characters won't pass the Bechdel test, to begin with.

Gentlefish

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: balloon-like qualities]
    • View Profile
« Reply #70454 on: February 23, 2015, 04:27:17 am »

Throwing in token characters is generally a waste of resources, and will often piss everyone off, your usual fanbase included. This is true of all forms of media.

The fact that you're using the term "token character" to refer to half the world's population might be the problem here.

The Bechdel test is a thing because so, so many things fail it. It's not a test of "is it good?" It's more like "Is this actually plausible?" because is it so hard to write a script where to women can talk to each other about things other than men for at least a little bit of time?
Pages: 1 ... 4695 4696 [4697] 4698 4699 ... 10983