Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4749 4750 [4751] 4752 4753 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13164534 times)

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #71250 on: March 03, 2015, 02:53:23 pm »

Yeah, if you look at a lot of the stuff people think of as "kids cartoons" like DBZ a lot of it is because the animation age ghetto was stronger then and made a lot of shows like DBZ end up getting played in the younger kids time slots. The result is that now we think of them as "kids shows" not because that's what they were necessarily aimed to be, but rather because that's simply what a lot of us saw while growing up (regardless of how appropriate it might have been).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #71251 on: March 03, 2015, 03:08:32 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5sv2cb2saO0
Hunh, its one of those videos that makes no sense or carries deeper meaning depending on my mood.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #71252 on: March 03, 2015, 03:38:16 pm »

What do you call the kind of person who is flat-out atheist science-comes-first, but when they go overseas they'll make sure to stop by the local shrine to make sure the native spirits are kosher with their presence?

A hypocrite

Depends on the situation IMO.

If he genuinely believes he has to check in with the spirits and make sure everything is ok, then yeah he's either a hypocrite, or maybe he's just not really an atheist after all.

If it's just a cultural thing that the locals like people to do, well maybe he's just being polite. After all, it is their country, and you're a guest, you can at least show some respect even if you don't believe it.

Or maybe it's just a touristy thing, visit the temple and go through it for the experience. Why not? Could be fun and interesting, and maybe you learn something about the country you're visiting.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #71253 on: March 03, 2015, 03:40:32 pm »

Being a hypocrite isn't as big a sin as it would seem.

It is only a very bad mark on your character if you excuse yourself.

majikero

• Bay Watcher
  • Poi~
    • View Profile
« Reply #71254 on: March 03, 2015, 04:07:54 pm »

What do you call the kind of person who is flat-out atheist science-comes-first, but when they go overseas they'll make sure to stop by the local shrine to make sure the native spirits are kosher with their presence?
Their still an atheist but not the full science-comes-first kind. Local spirits is completely different to creator gods after all.

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #71255 on: March 03, 2015, 04:38:20 pm »

Yeah, if you look at a lot of the stuff people think of as "kids cartoons" like DBZ a lot of it is because the animation age ghetto was stronger then and made a lot of shows like DBZ end up getting played in the younger kids time slots. The result is that now we think of them as "kids shows" not because that's what they were necessarily aimed to be, but rather because that's simply what a lot of us saw while growing up (regardless of how appropriate it might have been).
Ah, this reminds me back when animu was still considered "just another cartoons for kids" back in the day.

We once got fully dubbed Zenki series on one of the more known channels, in a relatively kid-friendly time of day.

The show, while obviously kid-targeted, was also obviously Japanese. It featured skimpy dressed schoolgirl(s) that seldom got trapped by or otherwise got in precarious situation involving many disgusting demons that were no strangers to using tentacles and slime.

Eventually, they all got brought down by the end of the episode by a giant, hulking kid-turned-loudmouthed-demon in a spectacular fountain of blood.

Good times.

Then again, I remember hearing a story how back in the days when "manga" were just "another comics for kids" someone put Bondage Fairies collection next to your regular X-Men or some such in one of the comic books stores.

Good times.

edit:
As we are talking about old cartoon (kinda) anyone wanna help me out? A long time ago I used to watch this animated movie that was basically this: some nerdy modern-times guy is spirited away in a magic land. This land is governed, I think, by four wizards, either color-coded or N-S-E-W coded or both. One of those wizards is of course the big bad black wizard. One of the more remarkable features was also this gigantic horde of dragons, that were somehow a centerpice of the story. Something about being able to control them or something. IIRC one of the dragons also joined that nerdy guy who during the animation got a group of various characters together, including a halfing, and they proceeded to go on a sort of a quest to defeat that evil wizard. The cartoon ended with a dramatic culling of whole dragon horde via magic flute and the big bad transformed in absolutely bloated three headed dragon/demon-beast/something. IIRC he was defeated in the end. But overall I remember it as pretty dark cartoon, with all but the nerdy guy getting slowly killed off.
I remember finding it once on TvTropes, but lost the bookmark and can't find it again.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2015, 04:51:22 pm by Sinistar »
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #71256 on: March 03, 2015, 04:50:54 pm »

There's very few things in 80s animu that I'd recommend for children. Even stuff with no graphic violence, nudity etc....still toed the line. Like Dirty Pair.

But to my mind a lot of those are analogous to American movies for teenagers from the same era. PG-13 but certainly toeing the line on sexual references. Like, Monster Squad anyone?
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #71257 on: March 03, 2015, 05:54:18 pm »

So, I posted about DBZ around the time I got to campus today. Then, during the lecture just a few minutes ago, my geology professor mentioned Dragon Ball while explaining karst topography in China. Not the comparison one would expect an elderly Texan to use. ???
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #71258 on: March 03, 2015, 05:59:00 pm »

So, I posted about DBZ around the time I got to campus today. Then, during the lecture just a few minutes ago, my geology professor mentioned Dragon Ball while explaining karst topography in China. Not the comparison one would expect an elderly Texan to use. ???

Check his power level, but be careful, he may intentionally be hiding it.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #71259 on: March 03, 2015, 06:00:08 pm »

Nerds come from everywhere.  Especially when they want to 'identify' with their students and 'be fly'.

My own wtf.

Remember all those weird slang words you used/heard as a kid?  Like 'Whack'.

That was a terrible move, the company should be ashamed of itself.  That move was whack, yo.
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #71260 on: March 03, 2015, 06:13:08 pm »

Not quite. DBZ, like all shonen, is explicitly aimed at that ~9-14 male demographic. It's just that there are different cultural standards for the level of violence acceptable for them; there's still a clear divide between that and seinen like Berserk, Claymore, and Gantz where people are being decapitated, bisected, disemboweled, de-limbed, &c. left and right, but it is a more violent point than the point where (say) U.S. ratings split between PG13 and R, or PG and PG13. By my understanding that same dividing line would be much lower in someplace like Germany, where they censor violence more heavily.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Ddynamo

• Bay Watcher
  • The difference between something and whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71261 on: March 03, 2015, 06:26:52 pm »

I finally went back to school today, after three weeks of school being out for snow.
I also played OFF yesterday.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71262 on: March 03, 2015, 08:12:40 pm »

This Zone is now pure.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #71263 on: March 03, 2015, 08:13:36 pm »

The switch is now OFF.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Ddynamo

• Bay Watcher
  • The difference between something and whatever.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71264 on: March 03, 2015, 10:24:26 pm »

I'm really craving sugar now.
You guys aren't holding out on me.....are you?
S-S......Sugar.....
Pages: 1 ... 4749 4750 [4751] 4752 4753 ... 10983