Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 494 495 [496] 497 498 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13186550 times)

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #7425 on: April 07, 2012, 12:11:56 pm »

It's hilarious when they have to walk like an unbalanced, two-legged turtle in order to keep their pants up. Extra points if they hold onto their crotch the entire time. I mean, mankind invented belts for a reason!

Last night I was reading the SCP Foundation until 3:30 in the morning. I decided I was tired, turned off the computer, and stared at the popcorn-encrusted ceiling for a few minutes. The popcorn was shifting around as I watched it. Later on, [REDACTED].
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7426 on: April 07, 2012, 12:18:38 pm »

I always wear a belt, or sweatpants. And my hip tends to widen at that point, so unless the pants were really too big for me, that wouldn't fall down that far.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7427 on: April 07, 2012, 12:26:41 pm »

I'm pretty much forced to wear belts at all times because the 'average (slim-fit, no less)' male of my height is apparently about two inches wider at the waist, and if I have to choose between pants that are too baggy and need a belt to stay up, and pants that only go halfway down my shins and nearly cut off my circulation...

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Shinotsa

• Bay Watcher
  • Content lion is content
    • View Profile
« Reply #7428 on: April 07, 2012, 12:55:24 pm »

As most people have noticed, a current fashion trend seems to be that moronic thing about having your pants below your ass, because apparently everyone wants to know what kind of boxer shorts you wear. Well, a few days ago on the bus, this one guy like that stood up, pulled up NOT his pants, but a second pair of boxers over the first pair, leaving his pants below his ass.

Excuse me while I go find a palm tree to ram my face into.

This idea is brilliant. Once I wore slightly baggy pants WITHOUT any boxers at all. A friend of mine decided to pull down my pants while I was hitting on a girl during exam week in high school, when there were about 200 people eating lunch in the hallway. Poor girl was uber conservative and it was probably the first wang she'd ever seen. She looked even more confused when I pulled up my pants and kept talking like nothing had happened.

Also, double sided belts. You can stay classy in twice as many situations. (I like belts now)
Quote from: EvilTim
"You shouldn't anthropomorphize vehicles. They hate it"

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7429 on: April 07, 2012, 12:57:53 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Praise Satan!
Your move, Facebook.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Karnewarrior

• Bay Watcher
  • That guy who used to be here all the time
    • View Profile
« Reply #7430 on: April 07, 2012, 12:58:23 pm »

My pants are always always about an inch short on my legs, even if they're baggy around my waist. I'm not exceptionally tall either...
Thou art I, I art Thou.
The trust you have bestowed upon thy comrade is now reciprocated in turn.
Thou shall be blessed when calling upon personae of the Hangman Arcana.
May this tie bind thee to a brighter future!​
Ikusaba Quest! - Fistfighting space robots for the benefit of your familial bonds to Satan is passe, so you call Sherlock Holmes and ask her to pop by.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7431 on: April 07, 2012, 01:00:57 pm »

Yeah I've got the same problem. Except since I don't like pants, I got short shorts. it's not always pleasant.

Yay for skinny guys?
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7432 on: April 07, 2012, 01:03:15 pm »

A decent amount of things I try to go on are giving me "server not found" errors in Firefox. I tried to use IE, but it dosen't even bring up my homepage. Now, I am using TOR, the only thing that seems to do ANYTHING
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Luke_Prowler

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, how did I get back here?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7433 on: April 07, 2012, 01:14:57 pm »

So I got this really awesome computer for my birthday (which was a while ago) and this thing is a quad-core with 4 GBs of RAM and an amazing graphic card. It could play Crysis easily.

I decided to downloaded the latest DF, a game we all know and love.

I tried to gen a world with medium settings and it froze. Dwarf Fortress froze my high powered computer and I only got to get it to gen a world by putting history to short and size to small.

Quote from: ProtonJon
And that's why Communism doesn't work. There's always Chance Time

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #7434 on: April 07, 2012, 01:29:12 pm »

quad-core
Thar's your problem. What's the power from one thread?

Also, world gen sucks up RAM, though the game itself doesn't so much.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #7435 on: April 07, 2012, 01:30:58 pm »

A quad core could conceivably work just fine. Mine does; I can gen ridiculously huge worlds, and my FPS stays rather high unless I make over 200,000 items or something.

It's all about individual core speed.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #7436 on: April 07, 2012, 01:37:05 pm »

True, I was just saying quad core does not correlate to DF speed. And GPU does not matter for DF, unless your GPU is  a vacuum-tube CPU or something like that.

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7437 on: April 07, 2012, 01:38:23 pm »

True, I was just saying quad core does not correlate to DF speed.
It can, indirectly. If all other processes are handled by the additional cores, there's more processing power left for DF. Unless I grossly misunderstand how processors work.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #7438 on: April 07, 2012, 01:41:41 pm »

But, assuming you're running the OS and DF and nothing else, then two cores is sufficient and the non-DF one would probably be fairly empty.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #7439 on: April 07, 2012, 02:13:47 pm »

Isn't DF already slightly multithreaded, with its graphics (such as they are) handled by a second processor? And able to use a GPU for something or other to do with that as well? I remember it being something that was worked on during the 40d subrelease kerjiggers.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.
Pages: 1 ... 494 495 [496] 497 498 ... 10983