Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5441 5442 [5443] 5444 5445 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13170333 times)

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #81630 on: July 25, 2015, 06:06:06 pm »

I'm never going to understand CHIM.  Too casual.  Causal?  I don't know if that pun makes any sense.

No this is normal. There's really no reason to pay attention to TES games outside of liking the gameplay anyway. The closest they had to good writing was morrowind and you'd still be better off reading nearly anything else. It's good enough to follow the game but that's about it.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #81631 on: July 25, 2015, 06:24:24 pm »

Behold the high point of TES lore

then again my tastes have been growing ever more inane over the last several years

which is a bit disturbing considering where they were before that
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

ArchAIngel

• Bay Watcher
  • Infested Pony
    • View Profile
« Reply #81632 on: July 25, 2015, 07:48:37 pm »

I'm never going to understand CHIM.  Too casual.  Causal?  I don't know if that pun makes any sense.

No this is normal. There's really no reason to pay attention to TES games outside of liking the gameplay anyway. The closest they had to good writing was morrowind and you'd still be better off reading nearly anything else. It's good enough to follow the game but that's about it.
It's good for making those religious guys who show up at the door and preach at you go away. Reciting the 36 Sermons is fun.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

SealyStar

• Bay Watcher
  • Gargoyles! Psychics!
    • View Profile
« Reply #81634 on: July 25, 2015, 09:50:46 pm »

Mexican Guy Sings a Song to Twilight Sparkle About Quesadillas.
Thread appropriate.
This belongs in a compilación de encogerse. Bronies, awkward singing, deliberate self-stereotyping...
I assume it was about cod tendies and an austerity-caused crunch in the supply of good boy points.

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81635 on: July 25, 2015, 10:25:54 pm »

I'm never going to understand CHIM.
If you mean in game terms, it's savescumming, simple as that. If you mean how it actually works, don't ask me. If I did know, I'd totally use it to succeed in life.

From what I've read it's a 4th wall concept of realising that you're playing a game and can modify the game. Even within the game lore, characters can realise they're in a game and modify things the same way.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #81636 on: July 25, 2015, 10:41:37 pm »

Just to clarify, I actually kinda like that the setting is beyond my understanding.  That there are many callbacks and stories I could spend hours and hours figuring out.  Makes the setting feel grander, more alive.  I feel like I'm an adventurer reading stories for fun, and sometimes learning neat little things about the world and races.  I particularly love how the authors aren't completely trustworthy!

I feel like the in-game characters fall short, particularly in Skyrim.  Like bosmers being carnivorous...  Doesn't really come up unless you know to look for it, and even then I dunno.  I bet if I give a bosmer a poison apple in Oblivion they'll probably eat it.

And the Khajiit subspecies system is super cool, except it seems utterly unsupported by what you see in the games.  Unless all Khajiit in Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim only breed during VERY specific moon phases, to avoid giving birth to housecats... lions... or BOSMER CHANGELINGS.

Edit: Moon phases not star signs.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 10:46:46 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #81637 on: July 25, 2015, 10:45:05 pm »

The Khajit polymorphism is an explanation for the ever-changing appearance of khajits in every new game though. Of course, it looks like we're going to be stuck with Skyrim khajits for a while unless they plan to let the player play catgirls.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #81638 on: July 25, 2015, 10:45:59 pm »

That's the thing about TES lore. It's like it has no connection to the games whatsoever. Like if they have one team making the in game represented lore and another doing the books. And no one talks to anyone.

It just feels like it cheapens both sides to me. And well... To be blunt CHIM and the whole "We're a game" thing just... Kinda struck me as "Babbys first metaphysical" more than something compelling.

But that's just my opinion. I know some people out there really love it all.

unless they plan to let the player play catgirls.

I actually used to use the kawa kajitt mod in oblivion for that. Was nice and cute. Also nice and cute catboys too.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #81639 on: July 25, 2015, 10:49:56 pm »

I wouldn't be averse to catboys, but my point is that if that becomes an official thing then the developers will probably get lynched.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81640 on: July 25, 2015, 10:52:25 pm »

Just to clarify, I actually kinda like that the setting is beyond my understanding.  That there are many callbacks and stories I could spend hours and hours figuring out.  Makes the setting feel grander, more alive.  I feel like I'm an adventurer reading stories for fun, and sometimes learning neat little things about the world and races.  I particularly love how the authors aren't completely trustworthy!

I feel like the in-game characters fall short, particularly in Skyrim.  Like bosmers being carnivorous...  Doesn't really come up unless you know to look for it, and even then I dunno.  I bet if I give a bosmer a poison apple in Oblivion they'll probably eat it.

And the Khajiit subspecies system is super cool, except it seems utterly unsupported by what you see in the games.  Unless all Khajiit in Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim only breed during VERY specific star signs, to avoid giving birth to housecats... lions... or BOSMER CHANGELINGS.

I will agree that sometimes it feels like they're not making as much use as they could of a quite unique setting. The main reason why I was annoyed over something like Cyrodiil not being a jungle in Oblivion. It's something really different, take it and run with it.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #81641 on: July 25, 2015, 11:12:30 pm »

Everyone making so many jokes about how screwed the world is.
Eh. I'll just go with it.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #81642 on: July 26, 2015, 12:05:43 am »

A lot of stuff probably gets left out due to laziness and the shortcomings of the game engine. And the budget provided, the need to set and be ready by a certain date...
« Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 12:07:15 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #81643 on: July 26, 2015, 12:08:31 am »

Nah, they probably just spent all their money on voice actors and didn't have anything left over for catboys.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81644 on: July 26, 2015, 01:11:33 am »

So from what I can see with my illness is...

When I rest it gets better, when I get worked up or move  about it gets worse.
Pages: 1 ... 5441 5442 [5443] 5444 5445 ... 10983