Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5495 5496 [5497] 5498 5499 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13189446 times)

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #82440 on: August 01, 2015, 04:53:43 pm »

This thread has been a fun read recently. I would love to be a vampire. Vampires don't gotta give a fuck.
If there are any vampires reading this, please get in contact and let me know where to send my resume. I'm willing to be your thrall/dreg/minion/whatever so long as you pinky-swear to turn me before I die.

Heck, to be honest I'd even settle for plain old lycanthropy.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #82441 on: August 01, 2015, 05:07:57 pm »

(LOL idea)

Anti-vampire directed energy weapon, consisting of high power UV pulse laser, with crucifix shaped aperture stencil.

When a vampire is shot with the laser, the laser light itself burns a crucifix into the flesh of the vampire, which then catches the skin on fire.
As I remember, there was a RIFTS sourcebook on Vampires in Mexico, and this was in fact similar to the anti-vampire weapons included. Everything from flashlights with crucifixes taped across them (minor damange, more of a deterrent really) to industrial floodlights (doing mega-damage). Also included were holy water cannons (hey, any water in motion is "running water" right?) and wooden stake ammo for rail guns (if I remember right, they were large wooden stakes with enough bits of iron impregnated in them to let a rail coil grab them).

RIFTS was fun, in its own twink-gamer way.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #82442 on: August 01, 2015, 05:27:54 pm »

RIFTS could honestly be pretty great, if you ripped out the mechanics and replaced them with something more workable :P

Hella' neat setting with plenty of room for tie-ins and creativity, just... kinda' clumsy to actually play, from what I understand.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

NullForceOmega

• Bay Watcher
  • But, really, it's divine. Divinely tiresome.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82443 on: August 01, 2015, 05:47:20 pm »

Actually a lot of the core mechanics work fine on their own, but when combined into the shambling copy-paste monster that is Rifts, they become unmanageable.  I've had to house-rule almost everything to get it into a workable state, but my campaigns are awe-inspiring and my players have been having fun for over a decade.
Grey morality is for people who wish to avoid retribution for misdeeds.

NullForceOmega is an immortal neanderthal who has been an amnesiac for the past 5000 years.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #82444 on: August 01, 2015, 06:52:17 pm »

The mention of fighting vampires with floodlights has given me an excuse to post one of my favorite videos:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5yvsJn9Ncsk
(Kinda gorey in an anime way).  Wish the music was louder.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82445 on: August 01, 2015, 06:58:55 pm »

I know Prattchett had the edgy new-age Vampyres, who hung out in full daylight wearing colourful sundresses and drinking wine.
(They had built up a tolerance to most anti-vampire things, them got taught martial arts to avoid the stake/decapitation)
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82446 on: August 01, 2015, 07:17:18 pm »

I know Prattchett had the edgy new-age Vampyres, who hung out in full daylight wearing colourful sundresses and drinking wine.
(They had built up a tolerance to most anti-vampire things, them got taught martial arts to avoid the stake/decapitation)
Ahem.
*Pratchett
What martial arts?  That's not a thing...
Also, they built up a psychological block to the stuff, not a tolerance.  Otherwise it wouldn't've gone away when Granny Weatherwax happened.  Which would have been bad.
But mostly, yep.

Actual WTF:
What is wrong with this laptop's trackpad?  There's some sort of surface-level scratch on, and there's a cover on it in the first place....Wut.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #82447 on: August 01, 2015, 07:23:01 pm »

Are you saying martial arts don't exist, or that the vamps in the book didn't get them...?
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82448 on: August 01, 2015, 07:23:40 pm »

Are you saying martial arts don't exist, or that the vamps in the book didn't get them...?
They didn't learn martial arts.

Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82449 on: August 01, 2015, 07:36:30 pm »

I know Pratchett had the edgy new-age Vampyres, who hung out in full daylight wearing colourful sundresses and drinking wine.
(They had built up a tolerance to most anti-vampire things.)
They built up a psychological block to the stuff, not a tolerance.  Otherwise it wouldn't've gone away when Granny Weatherwax happened.  Which would have been bad.

What. No way it was all headology. I thought it was actually a blood thing.
But I'll admit I haven't read Carpe jugulum in a while. All this is basically off the wiki.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #82450 on: August 01, 2015, 07:37:07 pm »

You know this is a late response (I was sleeping dammit) and i shouldn't even be making it, but this pisses me off extremely. This is entirely the WRONG way to think about ANTHING. Ever. You never waste a resource, you never waste something you paid money for. Especially things like books which are in this world, given at most a few print runs since no one fucking reads these days. There are not billions of these books i own, there's likely not even millions.
To be honest if you are never going to read a book again I don't see much wrong with just chucking it into the recycling bin. I mean that's literally what happens to the vast majority of books given to "resale" used book stores anyways, they just recycle them into paper. A handful do end up going back onto the shelves, but the vast majority by far just go straight to the recycling center.

In fact I think I could make a pretty good argument about how keeping a book around that you are never going to read actually wastes resources. For one thing that's one less thermal mass of paper that costs to reheat/cool in my house when I've been gone for a few days and turned off the climate control to save power. It also takes up valuable space which, should I lose too much, costs me extra time to navigate through my house. Then there's the simple time costs in packing, unpacking, and recategorizing every single time I move, plus the cost of expensive fuel to move it from one location to another each time. And if you look on the "lack of good" side, that's one less thing that gets made out of recycled paper.

I mean I wouldn't just trash it, but that's more because there are better options (such as recycling) than any instinctual aversion to doing so. Words might have special meanings, but unless you are ever going to listen to them again there is no point in wasting energy to trap them, never to be read again.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Owlga

• Bay Watcher
  • Turbo times two
    • View Profile
« Reply #82451 on: August 01, 2015, 07:59:14 pm »

She does re-read books she enjoyed. Any she didn't she's very likely to give away to someone who likely will. It's a bit diffrent,

Also I suspect she's been avoiding the board since making that post since she's embarrassed she exploded on someone. Mostly because she kind of goes nuts when someone acts cavalier with certain things that she can consider being a waste.

She actually yelled at me rather angrily for tossing away something I didn't touch rather than offering it to someone else or putting it away once.
Quote from: Cupaketan
if u cant taek a cake, dont do a bake, in a kitchen
so u hav2 leve it ok bc its 2 hot 4u
Owlga is the chillest anime girl ever.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #82452 on: August 01, 2015, 08:00:12 pm »

Fair enough. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #82453 on: August 01, 2015, 08:00:32 pm »

I know Pratchett had the edgy new-age Vampyres, who hung out in full daylight wearing colourful sundresses and drinking wine.
(They had built up a tolerance to most anti-vampire things.)
They built up a psychological block to the stuff, not a tolerance.  Otherwise it wouldn't've gone away when Granny Weatherwax happened.  Which would have been bad.

What. No way it was all headology. I thought it was actually a blood thing.
But I'll admit I haven't read Carpe jugulum in a while. All this is basically off the wiki.
If I recall correctly, Granny Weatherwax put her self into her blood, and that infiltrated the vampires.  Then she refused to turn.  Which somehow undid their built-up resistances, so one must assume that it was in fact a psychological refusal to react.

==Books==
I do not think you should throw away books.  Heck, I have an old, probably-moldy, book that I can't even find on Amazon that I read.  It's at least a generation old.
Sigtext

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #82454 on: August 01, 2015, 08:11:01 pm »

I've thrown away books, and later deeply regretted it.
Pages: 1 ... 5495 5496 [5497] 5498 5499 ... 10983