Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5583 5584 [5585] 5586 5587 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13183267 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #83760 on: August 21, 2015, 06:54:41 pm »

[LSP HAS TAKEN THE HIGH GROUND]

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #83761 on: August 21, 2015, 09:31:53 pm »

I feel relevant.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #83762 on: August 21, 2015, 09:41:58 pm »

MY RIMS ARE MADE OF PICKELHAUBES

I'M SO PRUSSIAN THE FRENCH CONCEDED ALSACE-LORRAINE WHEN I CROSSED THE BORDER
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83763 on: August 21, 2015, 10:10:50 pm »

Twitch is a corporation, mate. They're already a person with rights, except when it benefits them to not be.
Like cyclists.  Are they pedestrian?  Are they a vehicle?  Its whichever one benefits them the most at the moment.
Grrr...
Can they at least be bothered to learn the laws that govern them, though?
No, they ride across the street to change sidewalks instead of doing the legal thing and getting off the bike before getting onto the crosswalk, then pushing it across. They don't count as a vehicle then, they count as a pedestrian, and in that specific instance of crossing the street it's illegal to ride it. But how many people a day do I see doing that? Counting the days where I don't leave the house, an average of 1. Not counting those days, closer to 20.
If you're going to be a pedestrian and ride on the sidewalks, get off your bike when crossing the street. If you're going to be a vehicle and ride on the street, get off the sidewalk/crosswalk! You're only allowed to ride your bike over a crosswalk if you're going in the direction the cars are going, not the people. You could run into someone and seriously injure them that way, or a car could come out of no-where and you'd get hurt a lot more than if you were walking! They'd have to surgically remove the bike from your legs, and nobody wants that. So stop riding on crosswalks and walk!
A lot of cyclists do a lot of stupid shit, which really bothers me as a cyclist, but that particular case causes no harm whatsoever...  Of course they could hit someone, they can do that on the sidewalk exactly as easily.  Which is why proper bicyclists like me are super careful on sidewalks and make ourselves known before passing someone.  And... If a car hits them, they might get injured more?
I often *do* dismount when using a crosswalk, but only if there are pedestrians around to walk along with.  Otherwise it's a stupid waste.

It's pretty unusual for me to be on sidewalks anyway, since I have to go slow and be so careful...  Mostly something I do at night, rather than trust the drivers to be perceptive, or even sober.  Or, when I need to turn left on a multi-lane road and would rather not merge across.  Because I'm courteous.  (oh and because I used to live in a place where biking on the sidewalk was illegal, so I didn't do it (when there were pedestrians anywhere close))

Then there needs to be some serious reform, because they sure as hell shouldn't be on the road
Fuck that.  I'm traffic, and I'm far more courteous and alert than the average driver.  Not because I'm nice, but because I'm basically riding a particularly flimsy motorcycle with inch-wide tires.  And I'm still alive.

Yes, I did just suggest I'm still alive because I don't piss off motorists.  I have had plenty of glass and aluminum thrown at me anyway though, particularly on empty country roads where I was no hindrance.  There's also the always hilarious "surprise scream" maneuver, popular among drunk fratboys with some terrifying insecurity.  Terrifying since it drives them to joyride drunk and grief people.  In real life, the retards.
It's like a monthly occurrence, fucking college towns.

Cycle lanes.
Generally a bad idea.  The ones where I live are fortunately too small for cars to borrow, which is good for multiple reasons (waste of space, for one).  It's a bad precedent.  Bicycles belong in lanes with other traffic - Sometimes I need to make a left turn, you know?  A courteous bicyclist allows space for cars to pass *in the same lane* unless they're one of those obese gas-guzzling monstrosities, or the driver doesn't know where their edge is.  Not my problem, merge or borrow the other lane if you have to.

Even without cars borrowing them like apparently happens other places, they fill up with grit, branches, and *lots* of broken glass.  Despite being a supposed gift for cyclists, they're considerably worse than hugging the curb (even with those fuckin diagonal-holed storm drains... Just hold the handlebars really tight.)  It's analogous to a racial ghetto.  Have a special, shitty place!  Stay out of our road.

Okay maybe I should discuss some of the things cyclists do that I hate, to be fair:
Ignoring stop signs - get under 5mph *at least* and carefully look both ways.  And for fuck's sake respect the order of arrival.  You're traffic!
Riding in the left lane (US).  You're not a fucking pedestrian, particularly not in the fucking road!  You're traffic!
Riding up beside parked cars at a light.  WHYYY, why would you make those people pass you!?  Being passed sucks, and there's no benefit!  Just wait in your place, you're traffic! 
(maybe ok if making a right turn on red, but I'd dismount for that.  Out of fucking respect for fellow traffic.  Instead I track-stand, which I hope has entertained a few people)
Quietly riding past pedestrians.  Even though I got used to it on campus, it's still a bit creepy.  Give them notice or a wide berth.  You're not traffic here but still.
Not giving cars space to pass when reasonable.  A while back some activist cyclists promoted "aggressive cycling" which basically fought anti-cyclist motorists by being a pain to all motorists.  What sucks is that it IS safer for the cyclist to be an asshole, since few drivers will actually be provoked into assault, and hugging the curb to be passed can be a little risky.  Still, motorists just see a cyclist being an asshole.  So this is/was a bad idea that made us look bad.
(Exception: Critical Mass, where a bunch of cyclists do this together as an organized, localized protest with a clear message.  Drivers get a clear message from the chants and signs.  Choose areas where drivers can detour along side roads, otherwise it's too much)
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83764 on: August 21, 2015, 10:15:31 pm »

If I were to make a racing game, I'd have the left analogue stick control your right foot while the right analogue stick controls your left foot. The d-pad would control the gearshift. You press 'A' or 'B' to toggle your right foot between the brake and accelerator (or the PS controller equivalents), and to start the car moving you have to ease off the right stick while giving slight pressure to the left stick in accelerator mode (as you have to do when normally driving). Steering could be done with the triggers or bumpers. The sticks are inverted to what you'd expect so you can activate both the clutch and the d-pad gearshift at the same time.
Ugh. Hate quoting textwalls. On phone so I cannot -snip- it down properly.

So, someone please tell me there isn't a society which brakes with their right foot?
That's so weird
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83765 on: August 21, 2015, 10:20:27 pm »

Also sorry if that was too salty, I've hiked 40 miles through forestfire smoke in the last three days and I'm sitting in a car because it's cold as balls and the shitty cell tower can't reach inside the motel.
My legs stopped aching but my right knee feels wrong and my feet are so sore.  Breakfast has been grapenuts and water with protein powder, lunch has been trail mix.

... Dinners have been pretty good though.  Yesterday it was, no lie, a taco truck from Nicaragua run by a native american couple.  I had a "veggie burrito with meat", or as the menu labelled it, a "Gringo".
It was delicious.  :'(

And Montana was really beautiful on Wednesday, will post pictures when I get home.
... In 6 more days, fuuuuuuuuuuuuUUUUUUUUU-

Oh oh and the motel has two power plugs.  One in the bathroom which requires turning on the light and fan, the other far away from the beds.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 10:24:40 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83766 on: August 21, 2015, 10:24:16 pm »

Haha more like smokey.
Smoky...
Smoke... Ey.
Fuck.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83767 on: August 21, 2015, 10:28:00 pm »

So, someone please tell me there isn't a society which brakes with their right foot?
That's so weird

At least here in the US, the left foot is used for the clutch, the right foot being used for the brake or accelerator. Might have something to do with which side the driver's seat is on, but I'm not sure.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #83768 on: August 21, 2015, 10:31:28 pm »

... at least for most of the vehicles I've driven, the left foot just isn't used. I guess it's more of a stick shift thing?

E: Honestly, at this point, I'm remembering I don't actually know what the hell the clutch is. I know it has to do with cars, but if I've seen one I didn't recognize it, and as near as I can recall I've never had need of it. Probably for the best, really. The less distractions/moving parts to manage while driving, the better.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 10:36:29 pm by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83769 on: August 21, 2015, 10:35:22 pm »

Oh oh and the motel has two power plugs.  One in the bathroom which requires turning on the light and fan, the other far away from the beds.
You know what's worse?
Plugs that are all plugged with stuff you need to not turn off, or DON'T FIT YOUR *BLEEP*ING CHARGER AMAZON WHO THOUGHT A CHARGER THAT WILL TAKE UP AT LEAST TWO OUTLETS AT NORMAL SPACING AND EXTENDS GROUNDWARD ON A NORMALLY-ORIENTED VERTICAL OUTLET WAS A GOOD IDEA.
Like lights.  (Both plugs on, and plugged in.)

Ugh.
I don't know where the phone charger plug went, but at least that goes SIDEWAYS, not DOWN.  I cam WORK with sideways.  At least, more than down.

As for driving:  Left foot is generally a manual transmission (clutch) thing, or so I know it as.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #83770 on: August 21, 2015, 10:38:10 pm »

Ah. Then it's for those masochistic nutjobs (and truckers, I guess) that don't drive automatics. Gotcha'. Explains why I don't really know what it is :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83771 on: August 21, 2015, 10:43:37 pm »

Manual drives are like Linux.  Seems unnecessarily complicated, but you have finer control over what happens.  Measurably more efficient too... and after a few weeks it's muscle memory.

Clutch is a pedal you press which disengages the engine while you change the gear a pretty great band
She/they

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #83772 on: August 21, 2015, 10:51:52 pm »

At least here in the US, the left foot is used for the clutch, the right foot being used for the brake or accelerator. Might have something to do with which side the driver's seat is on, but I'm not sure.
Pretty sure most places have left foot-clutch and right foot-accelerator/brake. And braking with the left foot is actually kinda bad. Means you have a foot on the brake and accelerator at the same time, and that's just wrong.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83773 on: August 21, 2015, 11:03:30 pm »

I'd highly recommend learning to drive a manual transmission, if only because it's much more fun to drive than automatics (even if it isn't a nice car). Also usually slightly more fuel efficient and durable (though less durable if you drive badly). I wouldn't call it masochistic, though when you've driven with it long enough that you need to bludgeon yourself with a floppy gearshift just get out of bed in the morning, maybe it's a valid point. It really isn't difficult though, but panic moments are likely when first starting.

I didn't think Tack meant using both feet to use the brake and accelerator, but if so, that's my WTF for this thread.

BurnedToast

• Bay Watcher
  • Personal Text
    • View Profile
« Reply #83774 on: August 21, 2015, 11:08:12 pm »

Manual drives are like Linux.  Seems unnecessarily complicated, but you have finer control over what happens.  Measurably more efficient too... and after a few weeks it's muscle memory.

Clutch is a pedal you press which disengages the engine while you change the gear a pretty great band

This is not true, and has not been true for at least a decade (and probably longer). Automatic transmissions are equally, or even more efficient then a manual transmission.

The only real advantage to a manual is it's cheaper to buy and cheaper to repair - but an automatic transmission will usually last the life of the car anyway, while the clutch on a manual will probably need to be replaced at some point. There's also the fact that nobody knows how to drive a manual anymore, and if anyone tries they will probably grind the hell out of your gears which is not cheap to repair if they damage them.
An ambush! curse all friends of nature!
Pages: 1 ... 5583 5584 [5585] 5586 5587 ... 10983