Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5585 5586 [5587] 5588 5589 ... 10974

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13005559 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #83790 on: August 22, 2015, 10:34:54 am »

They currently (or at some point in recent history -- I was trying to get some numbers comparisons and it came up) make up something like 3.6% of production in the US, iirc, for what it's worth. So less than one in 20 that's being made with intent to sell. Obviously we've got more loitering around and whatnot, and they're probably not going away any time soon (unfortunately :P), but rare's a fairly good word for it. Just not shiny-pokemon rare.
Seriously? Booooo :X

At least the vast majority of trucks are manuals. Even the automatics are kinda manual, or so I hear. Never actually driven one myself you see.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #83791 on: August 22, 2015, 10:50:12 am »

I'm pretty sure that the majority of vehicles in the UK are manuals.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #83792 on: August 22, 2015, 10:51:04 am »

Manual-shifting master race
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #83793 on: August 22, 2015, 12:10:48 pm »

... just walked by the TV doing some sort of daytime selling... thing... that was trying to convince women watching that jumper cables are some kind of terrifying and inscrutable device unfathomable to their gender, and because of it the person watching should buy... whatever the hell they were selling, I wasn't paying attention to that. Because apparently they or their daughters are incapable of figuring out a color coded jumper cable in event of an emergency.

I... the first time I used one of those, I had never actually watched one used before (except for the revvy bits, but even then...), and I didn't have someone helping me figure it out. They're. Jumper cables are not some sort of mysterious lostech that one must insert a dick into to make function, and you don't need to buy a metaphorical strap-on for it, either.

Why, TV? Why?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #83794 on: August 22, 2015, 12:54:45 pm »

Past 15 minutes, there's been non-stop thunder.

Literally non-stop. It's just been constant rumbling. The UK isn't being struck by artillery, is it?
Ah, whippersnapper, this brings me back to the raids of 1940!
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #83795 on: August 22, 2015, 01:02:39 pm »

We had a couple of storms come over about an hour ago.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83796 on: August 22, 2015, 01:16:38 pm »

Past 15 minutes, there's been non-stop thunder.

Literally non-stop. It's just been constant rumbling. The UK isn't being struck by artillery, is it?
That rumble is the sound of HMSS Britannia launching. You've accumulated enough Poles that finally you too can into space.
Send us a postcard from Jupiter, or wherever the hell you're going. Probably somewhere shite, considering you've got Cameron at the helm. And watch out for Scotland, it may fall off during ascent.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #83797 on: August 22, 2015, 01:55:25 pm »

They currently (or at some point in recent history -- I was trying to get some numbers comparisons and it came up) make up something like 3.6% of production in the US, iirc, for what it's worth. So less than one in 20 that's being made with intent to sell. Obviously we've got more loitering around and whatnot, and they're probably not going away any time soon (unfortunately :P), but rare's a fairly good word for it. Just not shiny-pokemon rare.
Assuming you were using the same chart that I'm looking at right now, it notes that those numbers were the January-August 2013 sales figures.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

At least the vast majority of trucks are manuals. Even the automatics are kinda manual, or so I hear. Never actually driven one myself you see.
A lot of automatics work in the sense that they automatically handle everything, but they still have the options to manually force it to shift (at least to lower gears) if necessary. That way if you know you are hauling an extremely heavy load up that steep hill or something similar you can adjust ahead of time.

That said with modern technology such features are becoming less and less needed as we get better at programming our automatic transmissions. Modern automatics now can fairly consistently get better gas mileage than even the best human drivers, a factor which used to be one of the major reasons why you didn't want to get an automatic. And manuals are losing ground among the high end too, which tends to be replacing them with paddle controlled semi-automatics or full on automatics, due to the (rightful) knowledge that automatics can shift far faster and smoother than any human operator can.

People are happy to try to point out all the snazzy tricks and tips that you can take advantage of with a manual car... and as a computer person I'm just as happy to point out that more and more of our automatics are now programmed to not only do those things, but to do them way better than any human ever could. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83798 on: August 22, 2015, 02:02:12 pm »

Clutchless manuals are boring. Proper manuals are more interesting because it's more involved.
Checkmate atheists.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #83799 on: August 22, 2015, 02:25:07 pm »

Clutchless manuals are boring. Proper manuals are more interesting because it's more involved.
Checkmate atheists.
That is probably the most common argument in favor of manuals that doesn't have a good flat response. Personally my answers are "having to divert that additional focus away from the beautiful countryside around the road to focus on shifting due to the act of driving being more involved makes drives more boring", and "having to divert attention away from ongoing traffic on the freeway to shifting makes me more likely to wreck". :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #83800 on: August 22, 2015, 02:47:28 pm »

... y'know, I've rode with a lot of people that said they could tell the speed they were going without looking at the speedometer.

They were wrong.

"... you are aware of how fast you're going, right?" "*insert answer within five mph of the speed limit*" "*insert response noting the speedometer is reading at least five to ten mph over that.*"

But maybe you have a superpower that isn't the normal power they call self-delusion, in which case, congratulations. Please use your power for good.
Ask not!
Ask!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83801 on: August 22, 2015, 02:48:34 pm »

Pretty sure greatorder didn't mean speed of the car over the ground, he meant the revs of the engine. Since that's what determines when you should change gear.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #83802 on: August 22, 2015, 02:49:39 pm »

Statement still stands :V
Ask not!
Ask!

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83803 on: August 22, 2015, 02:51:52 pm »

Sure, but not as a criticism to what GO said.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #83804 on: August 22, 2015, 02:59:51 pm »

... take your word for it, I guess. The times I've road along with someone driving manual, they didn't seem terribly more accurate about those kinds of statements re: gear shifting then they were re: speed, but obviously enough I don't exactly have (or want to have, really -- riding with someone driving a manual is bad enough I damn sure don't want to learn to drive one, nevermind the distraction issue) the best idea of what to look for regarding that.
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 5585 5586 [5587] 5588 5589 ... 10974