Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5586 5587 [5588] 5589 5590 ... 10984

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13203166 times)

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #83805 on: August 22, 2015, 03:02:10 pm »

You guys talking about operating manuals while I'll only know the glorious feeling of gripping a rock-hard gear shift, or even a steering wheel, in two years.

I guess sparkplug replacement and o-ring checks will have to satisfy me until them.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 03:04:38 pm by Laptisen »

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #83806 on: August 22, 2015, 03:03:31 pm »

The only people I know that drive a manual do have that exact sense. One big problem nowadays is that it's almost impossible to get your driver's license in a manual, because bad shifting is a point deduction, and most of the (personal auto, probably different for CDL) examiners no longer know how to drive stick - they just look at the "idiot light" on the dashboard, which isn't a very precise indicator of when to shift.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #83807 on: August 22, 2015, 05:04:06 pm »

Ugh. Just woke up from nap.

I had some crazy ass dreams, man. In only an hour of time it's like I had a dream odyssey across a multitude of alternate and nonsensical realities.  I remember at multiple points just wanting the experience to end. It was a total fustercluck of too many bizarre things to detail it all.

If dreams really do have some spiritual aspect and they are some kind of window into other worlds or dimensions or whatever, I do not want any part of what I dreamed of.
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83808 on: August 22, 2015, 05:49:56 pm »

The only people I know that drive a manual do have that exact sense. One big problem nowadays is that it's almost impossible to get your driver's license in a manual, because bad shifting is a point deduction, and most of the (personal auto, probably different for CDL) examiners no longer know how to drive stick - they just look at the "idiot light" on the dashboard, which isn't a very precise indicator of when to shift.
What light? My truck doesn't have any light, or any meter that tells me RPMs. You have to be able to listen to the engine. While you can generally change based on speed on a flat road, on hilly areas with any kind of incline the speed you have to change at changes.
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83809 on: August 22, 2015, 05:55:17 pm »

My truck doesn't have any light, or any meter that tells me RPMs.
I could have sworn that a rev meter was a legal requirement to have on a car or other horseless carriage. Unless your truck's just really old I suppose.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #83810 on: August 22, 2015, 06:11:58 pm »

What light? My truck doesn't have any light, or any meter that tells me RPMs. You have to be able to listen to the engine. While you can generally change based on speed on a flat road, on hilly areas with any kind of incline the speed you have to change at changes.
Most cars equipped with manual transmissions in the last ten years or more have a light on the dashboard that tells you "change gear now". It is much less accurate than knowing the feel of your engine or using the tachometer (which has been legally required for a long time, and a car without it would fail the inspection for a drivers license exam), which is why it is nicknamed the "idiot light"
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #83811 on: August 22, 2015, 06:40:58 pm »

I shift by engine noise, but if things are loud the tachometer is nice. Also I guess it has a name.

Manual shifting is kind of fun and mindless 90% of the time, but makes sense an automatic would be better nowadays.

But, can you jumpstart an automatic with a downhill?
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #83812 on: August 22, 2015, 06:45:54 pm »

I think so? Could have sworn I've either done it or been in the car with one where that happened. Probably the latter and enough years back my memory's shot regarding the subject.

... I don't think you really want to regardless of the transmission in question, though. That... sounds like a good way to get someone killed.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83813 on: August 22, 2015, 06:46:42 pm »

You guys talking about operating manuals while I'll only know the glorious feeling of gripping a rock-hard gear shift, or even a steering wheel, in two years.

I guess sparkplug replacement and o-ring checks will have to satisfy me until them.
I'd trade you.

Learning how cars work would probably help me not be as freaked out about the half-ton hunk of metal or whatever that I will probably be driving in soon.

Seriously.

Cars are scary.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #83814 on: August 22, 2015, 06:53:56 pm »

I'd trade you.

Learning how cars work would probably help me not be as freaked out about the half-ton hunk of metal or whatever that I will probably be driving in soon.

Seriously.

Cars are scary.
Driving them isn't that scary once you get used to it.

Parked cars aren't scary.

Standing in the middle of a busy highway during rush hour would definitely be scary.
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83815 on: August 22, 2015, 06:55:58 pm »

I'd trade you.

Seriously.

Cars are scary.
Driving them isn't that scary once you get used to it.

Parked cars aren't scary.

Standing in the middle of a busy highway during rush hour would definitely be scary.
Uh yeah, have you seen the crazy people on the road ever?  SCARY.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #83816 on: August 22, 2015, 07:02:18 pm »

Being in the way of a moving mass of metal is scary. That's what I was saying with the "standing in the middle of a busy highway" thing.

Driving a mass of metal on the road in the midst of a bunch of other masses of moving metal isn't scary. Most people are just trying to get where they need to go and are trying to follow the rules and stay in their lanes. Stay in your lane and don't be a jackass driver and you'll be fine.

Obviously there are exceptions -drunk drivers, asshats who don't follow simple rules, dumbass teenagers, aggressive shits who think they need to assert dominance- but they aren't the norm. Don't drive like one of these people and don't get in these people's way and you'll be fine.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #83817 on: August 22, 2015, 07:22:00 pm »

Being in the way of a moving mass of metal is scary. That's what I was saying with the "standing in the middle of a busy highway" thing.

Driving a mass of metal on the road in the midst of a bunch of other masses of moving metal isn't scary. Most people are just trying to get where they need to go and are trying to follow the rules and stay in their lanes. Stay in your lane and don't be a jackass driver and you'll be fine.

Obviously there are exceptions -drunk drivers, asshats who don't follow simple rules, dumbass teenagers, aggressive shits who think they need to assert dominance- but they aren't the norm. Don't drive like one of these people and don't get in these people's way and you'll be fine.
I'm slightly worried that I'll BE one of those people.  Obviously not the drunk/asshat.
But seriously those people get their way into your path.
Sigtext

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83818 on: August 22, 2015, 07:37:08 pm »

Reminds me of the time someone in front of me chucked a partially full box of mountain dew out the driver's side window onto the road in front of me. There was also a time when a deaf lady made a left turn into my lane, and followed me into the rightmost lane when I swerved away as well. She pulled over after I had to run onto the curb, and I ended up writing "no damage" with a smiley face when I realized she was deaf and thought she'd hit me.

...but really, driving's fun and safe, hardly anyone dies doing it, right? Right?

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #83819 on: August 22, 2015, 07:39:00 pm »

I'm slightly worried that I'll BE one of those people.  Obviously not the drunk/asshat.
But seriously those people get their way into your path.
Pay attention during driving lessons and driving tests. The driving instructor's job is to help make sure you won't be one of those people. They're all about safety and good driving practices.

I want to make a list of "key rules" you can follow to not be a "bad driver" or make driving dangerous but I keep thinking of more to add to it and I'm afraid it'd become such a daunting list that it'd scare you more.

I just don't think it's as bad as you make it out to be. I used to think driving was this unthinkable thing that I could never believe I could do. And here I am now saying the opposite.
Pages: 1 ... 5586 5587 [5588] 5589 5590 ... 10984