Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5611 5612 [5613] 5614 5615 ... 10984

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13203550 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #84180 on: August 29, 2015, 04:37:23 am »

Such are the perks of living in a place where housing doesn't cost a gorram fortune, I suppose.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #84181 on: August 29, 2015, 05:23:41 am »

Why would anyone put it on software end, is beyond me.
... f.lux not mean anything to you? It's hella' useful, and is more or less "adaptive monitor, the software". Also the equivalent of greater manual control, which is nice. I've actually got flux running on the laptop and a similar program (twilight) running on the kindle. Has done bloody wonders for eye strain and sleeping habits. You get that stuff on the software end because sometimes the hardware end is bad at its job (the kindle's lowest brightness setting, ferex, was complete eye-burning shit -- still bright enough to basically light up a dark room. Twilight has made that not happen.).

Does sound like whatever its is working with is way too sensitive, though.

And... @GC, you've probably (hopefully) heard it before, but... that sounds a lot like you really need to see about different work. Even if a job is relatively good, if it's fucking you up it's still a bad job for you. Ain't no one around you that likely needs to be around you is actually going to be happier if what you're doing to screwin' you up, y'know? Probably do want you to be active an' working or somethin', but bad miserable innit supposed to be part of the program :-\

Hella' easier said than done, obviously, but still...
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #84182 on: August 29, 2015, 05:45:42 am »

... f.lux not mean anything to you?
You are going to laugh, but yes. First time I've ever heard word "f.lux".
._.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #84183 on: August 29, 2015, 05:47:25 am »

... f.lux not mean anything to you?
You are going to laugh, but yes. First time I've ever heard word "f.lux".

f.lux.

I use it for a number of reasons.

Password strength: Weak

• Your password must be between 8-16 characters in length.

I don't know if it's possible to have a memorable, very strong password under 16 characters long. I normally go with a pass-phrase with occasional substitutions instead.

And the security questions are laughable.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 05:50:43 am by Arx »

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #84184 on: August 29, 2015, 05:52:12 am »

Ninja'd by arx, heh. Yeah, that's the program. Adjusts screen dim/tint based mostly on time of day -- adaptive brightness control, basically, if less reactive than what its was talking about. Personal experience says it's really ruddy good at doing what it does -- the occasional headaches I'd get from looking at a computer screen for too long have basically disappeared since I started using the thing, despite usage patterns not really changing.

E: And I'd long since set the system's hardware brightness to as low as it could go to no avail, heh. Sometimes what the hardware designer thought was dim enough is not dim enough.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 05:55:54 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #84185 on: August 29, 2015, 05:54:35 am »

And the security questions are laughable.
Damn, if only I knew this guy's mother's maiden name, I'd be into that account so fast...
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

RedWarrior0

• Bay Watcher
  • she/her
    • View Profile
« Reply #84186 on: August 29, 2015, 09:12:43 am »

Password strength: Weak

• Your password must be between 8-16 characters in length.

I don't know if it's possible to have a memorable, very strong password under 16 characters long. I normally go with a pass-phrase with occasional substitutions instead.
Use a password manager. Then you only need a single very strong password, and the rest of them can be gibberish. Most of them even include password generators.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84187 on: August 29, 2015, 09:39:47 am »

And correcthorsebatterystaple is more secure, in terms of sheer length and whatnot, than any r#x!ND3rp55erGln.  Max password length is stupid.
Except they probably try that as one of the precoded "things to try first" these days.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #84188 on: August 29, 2015, 10:34:18 am »

Well, no, with a decent dictionary attack things like correcthorsebatterystaple are much easier targets than 16 random characters, actually. What you probably want is a complete sentence with punctuation and at least one somewhat-obscure proper noun, such as the name of a fictional character (whose name is not a common real-world name).
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #84189 on: August 29, 2015, 10:45:15 am »

Using words from more than one language also secures it against many dictionary attacks. Referencing media is fine and memorable, as long as you mix it up a little. "Bee7hoven'sOdetoJ0y-wiRbetr3etenFeuertrunken" would be a very strong password and relatively easy to remember, as long as you memorize the lyrics of the song and the right letters to replace with numbers and capitals.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015, 10:47:21 am by IcyTea31 »
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #84190 on: August 29, 2015, 10:54:44 am »

And correcthorsebatterystaple is more secure, in terms of sheer length and whatnot, than any r#x!ND3rp55erGln.  Max password length is stupid.
Except they probably try that as one of the precoded "things to try first" these days.
Well, no, with a decent dictionary attack things like correcthorsebatterystaple are much easier targets than 16 random characters, actually. What you probably want is a complete sentence with punctuation and at least one somewhat-obscure proper noun, such as the name of a fictional character (whose name is not a common real-world name).

My normal passwords would be something along the lines of 'S3venteen Nebe1werfers replace p0tato cannons.', which more-or-less get the best of all possible worlds. The problem is that that would break down at 'Nebe1werfers' in a 16 character max.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Calidovi

• Bay Watcher
  • agnus dei
    • View Profile
« Reply #84191 on: August 29, 2015, 11:30:53 am »

How secure is a password where certain letter combinations are randomized?

For example, "nebe1wERfERs". Would it be less secure than something with more randomized capitalization?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #84192 on: August 29, 2015, 12:46:11 pm »

Not particularly. Once you're using non-standard capitalization at all, you've got the full amount of security that it offers you because you've expanded the number of characters available for use without doing so in a way that is easy to predict and include in dictionaries. At least if I understand correctly. If the particular combination becomes standard practice around the world, of course, that stops being the case; the key is "non-standard".
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #84193 on: August 29, 2015, 03:49:15 pm »

How the hell do you live of $500 dollars a fortnight? Or did I parse that wrong?
I usually live off about that much. I could probably do so a lot easier if I didn't drink.
Or make ridiculous, frivolous purchases to suit my every whim. But the main thing is, I can afford to, so yeah. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #84194 on: August 29, 2015, 03:52:58 pm »

How the hell do you live of $500 dollars a fortnight? Or did I parse that wrong?
Its not that hard to live off $1,000 a month...
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 5611 5612 [5613] 5614 5615 ... 10984