Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5684 5685 [5686] 5687 5688 ... 10980

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13145595 times)

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #85275 on: September 10, 2015, 05:03:55 am »

I'm starting to suspect Truean is so honest that it creates a corruption negative pressure zone, so things even out by everone else around her being corrupt as fuck. It's like a vortex.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85276 on: September 10, 2015, 05:22:58 am »

Truean is the eye of the corporate-douchebaggery hurricane?
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85277 on: September 10, 2015, 05:59:18 am »

That pen better double as a vibrator, a juicer and a potato peeler.
That sounds complicated, probably unsafe and definitely unhygienic!
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #85278 on: September 10, 2015, 06:02:24 am »

Alternatively the bugger can just shoot laser.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #85279 on: September 10, 2015, 06:33:27 am »

All give up your privacy, or you might die!

Yesterday, when the water mains sprang and swallowed a street in the Netherlands, the rushing water also flooded the basement levels of a large academic hospital (VUmc).
The damage, and power circuit failure was so severe (most facilitairy services, including the hospital kitchen were shut down by the flooding) that all patients had to be evacuated (inculding a few that were just prepped for open heart surgery) and transferred to other hospitals.

Now this would not have been a problem, were it not for privacy laws.

Patients lives were at risk, because the doctors from the flooded hospital were not allowed to share medical files with the doctors in the hospitals that accomodated the evacuees without explicit consent from the patient or their guardian, because, privacy laws.

So the patients ended up being in hospitals were doctors and nurses kinda.. did not know at all what the patients were in the hospital for :P

Luckily no one died, but it was not a very safe situation.

Politicians are urged to propose a change to privacy laws, so that in the future, emergency situations will supercede privacy laws.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 06:36:44 am by martinuzz »
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #85280 on: September 10, 2015, 06:36:56 am »

I think this is one of those situations where it's entirely reasonable. "You will legit die no backsies if we don't share this data on you, with or without your consent."

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #85281 on: September 10, 2015, 06:40:36 am »

I think this is one of those situations where it's entirely reasonable. "You will legit die no backsies if we don't share this data on you, with or without your consent."

Doctors not willing to face huge claims and disciplinary hearings because people are assholes like that.

Great! Thanks for saving my life! Now I'll sue you for breaching privacy laws!

Or worse. "I did not want my husband, who is a doctor at that other hospital to know, that I was pregnant from the milk man"
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #85282 on: September 10, 2015, 07:00:13 am »

... or they're actually aware of some of the bad stuff that happens when patient's privacy isn't kept, and decided the extra immediate risk was worth not upping the risks involved with that. There's a lot more to medical records being kept closed than the risk of being sued or petty shit getting aired. Jobs at risk, lives at risk, all sorts of fraud related problems, the whole patient trust thing (which is goddamn huge)... privacy laws regarding medical information by and large exist for a ruddy reason, even if they can cause an increased medical risk in situations like the one in question.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 07:02:40 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #85283 on: September 10, 2015, 07:05:27 am »

... or they're actually aware of some of the bad stuff that happens when patient's privacy isn't kept, and decided the extra immediate risk was worth not upping the risks involved with that. There's a lot more to medical records being kept closed than the risk of being sued or petty shit getting aired. Jobs at risk, lives at risk, all sorts of fraud related problems, the whole patient trust thing (which is goddamn huge)... privacy laws regarding medical information by and large exist for a ruddy reason, even if they can cause an increased medical risk in situations like the in question.

Personally, given the choice I'd rather have some random doctor know that I contracted syphilis from an affair than die because that same doctor didn't know that I was in hospital because I'd had six heart attacks the day before.

I'd support laws put in to allow limited sharing of data in emergencies like this. Only on a need-to-know basis, and only in actual emergencies, though.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #85284 on: September 10, 2015, 07:14:23 am »

I could see limited case stuff as a possibility, but I don't blame doctors for not going that route, either. You may not care about your history of syphilis, but you damn sure better believe someone that's transitioning or getting help for gender dysphoria in a country that's viciously transphobic cares about their medical history being kept damn tight, just as an example. Similarly, there's a number of cases where elderly or whatev' had their information shared out without consent and ended up with their lives utterly bloody ruined due to ID theft, fraud, etc. Then there's the (serious, bloody huge) problem of patients that need help, but are worried enough about what they need help for being spread out that they don't share relevant information with their doctor -- that's led not just to the person in question dying, but other people dying, too, and it can really easily (in the case of, say, mental illness problems, which news getting out about can have a person go from having a steady job and surviving to being fired, unhireable, and on the streets) lead to lives being ruined.

I'm personally pretty behind medical privacy laws having zero exception clauses behind them. There's benefits to exceptions existing, but there's also substantial enough negatives I can see just saying no, unilaterally.
Ask not!
Ask!

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85285 on: September 10, 2015, 08:57:00 am »

There was a guy at this bus stop for a while who looked disconcertingly like an Indian version of Leonardo DiCaprio.
And here I thought I was special, being served drinks by Mexican Ray Romano. :P
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #85286 on: September 10, 2015, 09:09:23 am »

Some years ago I saw a guy at Burger King who looked like a thin Saddam Hussein.  Is that worth anything?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85287 on: September 10, 2015, 09:11:40 am »

Yes. It's worth a discount on your order if you tell them! It's like an Easter egg hunt!
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #85288 on: September 10, 2015, 09:15:56 am »

I was thinking about this some more, and I think it could probably all be solved by adding some kind of waiver at the beginning of the hospital process that if you're being evacuated to another hospital due to an emergency and cannot continue being treated by the same doctor the hospital can send your information to the other hospital.

That way, if there's something incredibly sensitive (e.g. that you're undergoing transition in a highly transphobic country), you can choose to have no exceptions, but equally if you don't really mind and have something you're really concerned about (e.g. multiple heart attacks) you can make sure you have all possible safety.

It's probably not an ideal solution, because I'm just some person on the internet with little idea about how the hospital bureaucracy aspect of medicine works, but it looks okay to my random internet person eyes.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #85289 on: September 10, 2015, 09:24:32 am »

Some years ago I saw a guy at Burger King who looked like a thin Saddam Hussein.  Is that worth anything?
Leviathan got bloody weird in places. And by "in places" I mean all of it. Fairly enthralling, but a manga series that definitely fits in the WTF thread.

And @Arx, that's largely what a living will is for. At least in some places, you can already have appropriate medical treatment (including information release, I do believe) dictated beforehand, to varying degrees. Just have the appropriate papers on you or filed somewhere accessible. Hospitals being a bit more proactive in informing patients they can write the things and the degree to which they can/will be followed in the jurisdiction in question would probably be a good idea in general, though, sure.

E: Though, at the same time, being in the states I'm a bit leery about the hospitals having much input or being allowed to put pressure on (potential) patients regarding such things. I would entirely expect some of the rat bastards we have running hospitals (or worse, the insurance companies) to abuse that sort of program, trying to coerce the injured or ill into preemptively agreeing to excessively expensive treatments.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 09:29:13 am by Frumple »
Ask not!
Ask!
Pages: 1 ... 5684 5685 [5686] 5687 5688 ... 10980