Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5688 5689 [5690] 5691 5692 ... 10979

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13135385 times)

Furtuka

• Bay Watcher
  • High Priest of Mecha
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #85335 on: September 10, 2015, 04:52:49 pm »

Heheh you chose the wrong example to use on the wrong person there Tawa~

I gotta agree with Neo btw. On story premise at least. In the end everything relies on the viewers tastes and how skilled the creator is at implementing it.

A neat thing related to the subject would be how Jim Butcher's Codex Alera started as an internet dare over whether Jim could make a good story out of two "lame" ideas of the challengers choosing. (The challenger chose The Lost Roman Legion and Pokemon)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 04:57:12 pm by Furtuka »
It's FEF, not FEOF

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #85336 on: September 10, 2015, 04:58:37 pm »

Bad character. Bad story premise.
Because I'm not a masochist, please tell me what the premise is so I don't have to read it.
Mary Sue OC has incredibly badly written sex with Draco Malfoy. All the main characters are incredibly stereotyped goths and change their names to things like "Vampire" and "Diabolo". Snape, Voldemort, and, for no real reason, Lupin are "preps" and have the master plan of forcing the OC to kill Harry or else they'll kill Draco, which they never really follow up on. Later chapters involve the OC going back in time to try to make Voldemort, here known as "Tom Satan Andorson Bombodil", fall in love with her so he won't become evil.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #85337 on: September 10, 2015, 05:00:25 pm »

A neat thing related to the subject would be how Jim Butcher's Codex Alera started as an internet dare over whether Jim could make a good story out of two "lame" ideas of the challengers choosing. (The challenger chose The Lost Roman Legion and Pokemon)
... I hadn't heard of that. It... it's actually pretty obvious, in hindsight, that those two could be labeled as influences for the series. You wouldn't know it without knowing it beforehand, though. Pretty impressive!
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #85338 on: September 10, 2015, 05:01:13 pm »

-stuff-
The fuck

Why are you sharing this. As if JK Rowling's drivel wasn't bad enough in the first place.

Spoiler that shit before it gives someone brain cancer. o_o
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #85339 on: September 10, 2015, 05:02:37 pm »

Complaining about My Immortal being bad is like complaining about Scotland. We all know it's terrible; it's amusing so, even.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #85340 on: September 10, 2015, 05:03:40 pm »

sex with Draco Malfoy
Pretty sure that just counts as incredibly badly written. Goth characters aren't bad, per se, and the story (while incredibly badly written) isn't totally unworkable.

It's shit, but a skilled writer could pull it off for the right audience.

Also, what Yoink said. Pretty sure just hearing the description gave me the 'flu.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Owlga

• Bay Watcher
  • Turbo times two
    • View Profile
« Reply #85341 on: September 10, 2015, 05:05:18 pm »

I remember something about sticking someone in someones "sex" and THEN they got hard. Utterly confusing.
Quote from: Cupaketan
if u cant taek a cake, dont do a bake, in a kitchen
so u hav2 leve it ok bc its 2 hot 4u
Owlga is the chillest anime girl ever.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #85342 on: September 10, 2015, 05:10:00 pm »

I don't think we should be discussing the mechanics of lovemaking
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85343 on: September 10, 2015, 05:10:25 pm »

-stuff-
The fuck

Why are you sharing this. As if JK Rowling's drivel wasn't bad enough in the first place.

Spoiler that shit before it gives someone brain cancer. o_o
It's hilarious. It's, like, the literary equivalent of Turkish Star Wars. Bizarre plot, invincible hero, vaguely recognizable bits and pieces here and there. Just more sex and goffickness.

That and it's a prime example of a bad character, since we were talking about it. I could've brought up My Inner Life--bad OC who gets married to a video game character and yells at us for not liking it--but it's not funny.
sex with Draco Malfoy
Pretty sure that just counts as incredibly badly written. Goth characters aren't bad, per se, and the story (while incredibly badly written) isn't totally unworkable.

It's shit, but a skilled writer could pull it off for the right audience.

Also, what Yoink said. Pretty sure just hearing the description gave me the 'flu.
Since you seem to not have read the story itself, I implore you to. Mere words can't do it justice. That's not a contradiction of the story's medium, since the author misspells practically everything once it gets good.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85344 on: September 10, 2015, 05:12:26 pm »

Bad character. Bad story premise.
Because I'm not a masochist, please tell me what the premise is so I don't have to read it.
Mary Sue OC has incredibly badly written sex with Draco Malfoy. All the main characters are incredibly stereotyped goths and change their names to things like "Vampire" and "Diabolo". Snape, Voldemort, and, for no real reason, Lupin are "preps" and have the master plan of forcing the OC to kill Harry or else they'll kill Draco, which they never really follow up on. Later chapters involve the OC going back in time to try to make Voldemort, here known as "Tom Satan Andorson Bombodil", fall in love with her so he won't become evil.

Then go watch the "My Immortal The Webseries" and watch as suddenly My Immortal goes from "bad" to "good".

How did they do it? Simply by changing the context.

It is still Enoby, but she is in a story that allows her character to shine.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC5OvOrULKKzEZsxq2mvfgCA

You might need to go to other websites to see some episodes... but otherwise... Yes.. Watch as this series turns a bad character into a good one.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 05:16:39 pm by Neonivek »

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
« Reply #85345 on: September 10, 2015, 05:22:28 pm »

Laptop made a strange mechanical sound moments ago. Didn't sound too good tbh, like something came loose or fell into the cooling fan. I'll need to take the bastard apart and see what's wrong. Damn it, the last thing I need right now is for this thing to die on me.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85346 on: September 10, 2015, 05:24:10 pm »

Then go watch the "My Immortal The Webseries" and watch as suddenly My Immortal goes from "bad" to "good".

How did they do it? Simply by changing the context.

It is still Enoby, but she is in a story that allows her character to shine.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That said, sure, you can change the perspective to change the perception of the character. But if you look at a landfill from a different angle, it's still a landfill. Changing the perspective might make the character more entertaining or interesting, but it doesn't make the character good.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #85347 on: September 10, 2015, 05:27:51 pm »

... your point seems to be that things that are badly written are badly written, though (which is true, in the most tautologically boring way), not that the premises used in badly written works can't be used in well written works to good effect. Which is mostly what neo is contesting, and from 'is direction is a pretty ubiquitous general rule.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85348 on: September 10, 2015, 05:33:07 pm »

The point there was the character, not the story premise. The premise of the character could have been interesting, suppose, except that we were talking about the character specifically, not the idea behind the character.

And can you explain to me how "lots of sex interspersed with whining about nothing in particular" is ever a good plot premise?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2015, 05:35:45 pm by Tawarochir »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85349 on: September 10, 2015, 05:33:50 pm »

That is the premise to Sex in the City.

Though... not sure how "Badly-written" is part of that premise.
Pages: 1 ... 5688 5689 [5690] 5691 5692 ... 10979