Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5739 5740 [5741] 5742 5743 ... 10980

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13147051 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #86100 on: September 20, 2015, 05:07:24 am »

It's probably raising your stress levels

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86101 on: September 20, 2015, 05:12:04 am »

Yeah, I particularly can't handle it when a game takes time to build up to the scare.  Like Amnesia I guess, or the Penumbra games which I actually played a little.  It's not constant, it's unexpected.  That's why I had no problem at all with Doom3 but absolutely couldn't get an hour or so of Penumbra, or even get far in Slender.

My favorite jump scare was in the first FEAR game.  That game was kind enough to telegraph when it was getting spooky... mostly... so I finished it pretty easily.  And I think this area was all quiet, which meant something was coming.  Then, you have to climb up a ladder.  There's clearly nothing at the top when you start climbing (which kinda locks your view).  When you get to the top, nothing jumps at you...  It's just there, and then it's gone.  A "jump scare" where you reveal the scary thing, instead of it charging at you.  I think those can be scarier.

There's a flash series called Deep Sleep which I'm really surprised I finished, because the concept (trapped in a dream world) is an uneasy one for me, but it used the same sort of tactic...  There are dark areas where you can only see a small area around the mouse.  Somehow it becomes terrifying to move the mouse, for fear of what you might reveal.  Nothing jumps out at you.  But something does hide, and somehow that's worse.

The Cradle, in Thief 3.  It uses various types of horror, but the beginning is the worst.  When there's nothing there.  Up to this point, you're basically Batman.  The guards loudly exclaim everything they're doing, like good videogame guards, and you can tell where they are by their loud footsteps.  It's not scary at all - YOU are the monster, or at least the sneaky thing in the shadows.
But here's this abandoned building.  No guards.  No zombies or giant lizards wandering around.  Just a quiet, abandoned building covered in dust.  So quiet.  Everything about it screams trap, building up apprehension, until finally you hear a noise.  Far off, a wooden knocking.  Like a door.  Hooray, zombies or guards to outwit!  But, it never stops.  It gets louder as you get closer, though.  It's coming from this stairwell, and there's nowhere else to go.  You climb the stairs, and it's different, it's not just closer, whatever it is is knocking harder now, faster, desperately beating at the door.  Trying to get out.  Terrified.  Low to the ground.

I certainly didn't expect that from a Thief game, a series which (up to that point) had basically been a dexterity-based power fantasy.  Where guards were bumbling oafs who only survived the night because you had standards, dammit (or didn't).

I guess what I'm talking about is the trope where someone pulls aside the shower curtain.  Sometimes a reveal is scarier than a jump.

Also, I'm not sure why I couldn't fall asleep tonight.  It's nearly dawn.  Heh, I guess this didn't help...  Keep hearing strange noises in the distance, and I have that feeling I get in my lucid nightmares (particularly during naps).  Ah well...  I have a book to read, I'll relax and sleep then.  Glad tomorrow this is Sunday.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #86102 on: September 20, 2015, 05:15:17 am »

I think a good jump scare is one that you can expect and prepare for and make it not be a jump scare. Dead Space did it pretty well, making me watch vents and shoot madly at them if I saw any moments.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #86103 on: September 20, 2015, 05:31:12 am »

Dead space did jump scares absolutely the worst; a good jump scare is unexpected and is something you have to think on your feet for - not something you are prepared for with an impromptu artillery cabinet. To top it all off dead space overused them to the point where it wasn't even startling, let alone scary.

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86104 on: September 20, 2015, 05:33:23 am »

As with anything else in a game, if a jumpscare is going to fuck you up without being able to do anything about it, it's done shit. I think Cinder's right.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #86105 on: September 20, 2015, 05:51:52 am »

Not what I said nor what Cinder said, being prepared for a jump scare is not the same as being helpless to one after it happens. When jump scared the game situation should dramatically change or at the least demand your alertness, with some exceptions to psychological horrors where it's just meant to fuck with you (ladder Alma is best Alma - so there are jump scares where helplessness is awesome). But dead space? Put some spikes in every corpse in the hallway, every vent you go through with guns raised and when in doubt begin planting limbs in the wall. When another morph jumps out and goes "ablrowbfowbabwew" the only response is "meh." It is overused to the point of boredom, and there is no sense of threat because I can cut the thing's legs off and step on it. Fails on the startling factor, not terribly terrifying nor psychologically fucky. There's also no problem with having loads of weapons, but with a horror game when jump scared the thing that just jumped you should present you with two options:
*Fight
*Run
Or in the words of Bill
*Both
You can be kept helpless like in Amnesia so your only response is flee, that's effective really well (with occasional hilarity when you bug out a vagina-faced monster and keep chucking pebbles at it until you go insane). You can have ammo scarcity so you can shoot that thing trying to gnaw your shins but you really don't want to (just about every horror game with guns). You can have spooky insano-meters like call of Cthulhu, or you can take your artillery cabinet and find a way to render despair inevitable and impose vast dangers and horrors so far beyond what you can solve by shooting (blowout soon STALKER). Then you can do all of the above and get something like Metro 2033 where it is terrifying. It is inevitable.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #86106 on: September 20, 2015, 06:00:34 am »

Wtf : wtf thread won't get out of my replies box.
One wheel short of a wagon

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #86107 on: September 20, 2015, 06:06:30 am »

Did it jump scare you?
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #86108 on: September 20, 2015, 06:38:49 am »

(For those interested it is a letsplay of Nanashi No Game: Me)

The one Niggurath from Something Awful was doing, or another one?
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #86109 on: September 20, 2015, 07:41:14 am »

While I will defend that Jump Scares are actually scary but that they are like the fart-joke of horror

This is a great analogy
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86110 on: September 20, 2015, 08:51:20 am »

Oi, still a queue to get GameMaker: Studio Pro. And that was the only thing I really wanted out of that Humble Bundle.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #86111 on: September 20, 2015, 09:56:45 am »

There's a flash series called Deep Sleep
goddamnit why did you have to remind me of this thing

now I'm scared out of my mind
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86112 on: September 20, 2015, 10:11:44 am »

You're welcome :P  But you need to wake up

WTF: I actually went right to sleep and got almost 4 hours.  The closest thing I got to a nightmare was dreaming I was Big Boss and the base was under attack, but I was too sleepy to move.  But it's fine, I somehow won the fight through superior tactics??  Yeah that wasn't a nightmare at all.
But yeah I woke up at 11AM almost on the dot, IE in time for my first shift.  Technically I'm on call even on Sundays, so this is good...  Maybe I'll dare a nap later though.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Spehss _

• Bay Watcher
  • full of stars
    • View Profile
« Reply #86113 on: September 20, 2015, 01:09:37 pm »

Changed my alias (they call it a battletag) on Battle.net. The numeric identifier changed as well, apparently. It was #153something. Now it's #1666.

Welp. Guess I'm stuck with that number. I only had one free name change. Hopefully no demons erupt from my computer next time I play Diablo 3.  :P
Steam ID: Spehss Cat
Turns out you can seriously not notice how deep into this shit you went until you get out.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86114 on: September 20, 2015, 02:00:08 pm »

Changed my alias (they call it a battletag) on Battle.net. The numeric identifier changed as well, apparently. It was #153something. Now it's #1666.

Welp. Guess I'm stuck with that number. I only had one free name change. Hopefully no demons erupt from my computer next time I play Diablo 3.  :P
Yike.
Good luck with that.
They only offer one free name change?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.
Pages: 1 ... 5739 5740 [5741] 5742 5743 ... 10980