Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5752 5753 [5754] 5755 5756 ... 10973

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 12995449 times)

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #86295 on: September 22, 2015, 08:15:48 pm »

I didn't see him being much of a dick at all until people started accusing him of conspiracy theories, which was almost immediately, and also totally uncalled for.
con·spir·a·cy the·o·ry
noun
noun: conspiracy theory; plural noun: conspiracy theories

a belief that some covert but influential organization is responsible for a circumstance or event.

Again, did you read his thread? Apparently the whole incident was a plot by his family and liberal media.

3. Ahmed's Just An Average Muslim Kid Who Didn't Know What He Was Doing
Ahmed's just like any other student who has an interest in engineering. He's just your average joe blogs on the street, there's nothing that makes him stand out.

Did you see that? That's what's called not checking your facts.

Ahmed's father is a real media star. He routinely heads back to Sudan to run for president in the elections and he's participated in mock trials of people who've burned the Quran.

On top of that, Ahmed's sister was the one who "leaked" the photo. To Anil Dash, a person renowned for trying to get as much media attention on himself as humanly possible because he's an "entrepreneur".

Source

End Note
I was initially suspicious of this whole thing after I found out Anil Dash was the one who brought it to the media's attention. This entire thing has been a media set up from the start. A Muslim student brings in a ticking briefcase with a bunch of wiring in it to school and no one expects anything to go wrong?

Keeping in mind that Steve Wozniak was once arrested for building something very, very similar and no one made a media fuss out of that and you start to see the extent of things.

So, to summarise, if you want free things all you need to do is:
1. Build something very similar to a bomb
2. Be a Muslim
3. Have a family with media connections
4. Cry about how unfairly you're treated even after you're released quite fairly

Also the OP was apparently copy-pasta from elsewhere, but that's a different matter.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86296 on: September 22, 2015, 08:18:12 pm »

Reminds me of the test where the very first instruction is "do not fill out the test paper". So I sat there while half the class fills out their test paper. I remember it was either a humanities class or an english class. Basically a reading the instructions thing or reading comprehension.
A more insidious one is having the first instruction be "Read all the instructions before doing anything."

And the final instruction (on the second page) being "Do nothing except fill in your name and turn in the paper."
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86297 on: September 22, 2015, 08:35:08 pm »

I didn't see him being much of a dick at all until people started accusing him of conspiracy theories, which was almost immediately, and also totally uncalled for.
con·spir·a·cy the·o·ry
noun
noun: conspiracy theory; plural noun: conspiracy theories

a belief that some covert but influential organization is responsible for a circumstance or event.

Again, did you read his thread? Apparently the whole incident was a plot by his family and liberal media.

3. Ahmed's Just An Average Muslim Kid Who Didn't Know What He Was Doing
Ahmed's just like any other student who has an interest in engineering. He's just your average joe blogs on the street, there's nothing that makes him stand out.

Did you see that? That's what's called not checking your facts.

Ahmed's father is a real media star. He routinely heads back to Sudan to run for president in the elections and he's participated in mock trials of people who've burned the Quran.

On top of that, Ahmed's sister was the one who "leaked" the photo. To Anil Dash, a person renowned for trying to get as much media attention on himself as humanly possible because he's an "entrepreneur".

Source

End Note
I was initially suspicious of this whole thing after I found out Anil Dash was the one who brought it to the media's attention. This entire thing has been a media set up from the start. A Muslim student brings in a ticking briefcase with a bunch of wiring in it to school and no one expects anything to go wrong?

Keeping in mind that Steve Wozniak was once arrested for building something very, very similar and no one made a media fuss out of that and you start to see the extent of things.

So, to summarise, if you want free things all you need to do is:
1. Build something very similar to a bomb
2. Be a Muslim
3. Have a family with media connections
4. Cry about how unfairly you're treated even after you're released quite fairly

Also the OP was apparently copy-pasta from elsewhere, but that's a different matter.
If I say Saudis did 9/11, it's not a conspiracy theory, it's conspiracy fact. There was no refutation against his arguments whatsoever other than "lol conspiracy theory" and related shitposting, despite the fact that the OP cited multiple sources. You can't shut down a claim with actual evidence of a conspiracy as a "conspiracy theory" with nothing whatsoever to back it up, as that implies that it's on par with "NASA faked the Moon landing" levels of crazy. Your extremely limited definition of "conspiracy theory" ignores this, and I daresay that was intentional. That which can be asserted without evidence can, however, be dismissed without evidence.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #86298 on: September 22, 2015, 08:54:22 pm »

... there actually was some refutation of the sources and arguments, including the whole thing about the case being misrepresented, and most of the rest of it... wasn't exactly refutable, because it was either baseless claims or irrelevant. They weren't meaningfully engaged with, if at all.

Multiple sources also don't help much when they're terrible ones, heh. They were a blog, brietbart (which the OP himself noted spins like crazy), and a smear piece on the kid's father from... someone. Requests for better or different ones -- which did happen, mind -- or questioning of the sources were met with derision or dismissal.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #86299 on: September 22, 2015, 09:11:17 pm »

TempAcc's Uninformed TL;DR:

Ahmed brough suspicious bomb looking object to school, teacher went omgwtf called bomb squad. While its obvious it wasn't a bomb, they charged him with intentionaly taking an object to school to cause a bomb scare. Media jumped on the story and made a race war out of it, as if NA didn't have enough of that already.

Not quite. Ahmed took a homemade clock to school, which a teacher decided must be a bomb (despite it containing nothing but wires and a display, and repeated claims that it was a clock.) Teacher calls police, who immediately determine that it isn't a bomb. Despite the fact that Ahmed never once claimed it was a bomb, he was arrested for having a hoax bomb. At no point is the bomb squad called, and the clock is transferred with him when he gets arrested. At this point, Ahmed is interrogated until media backlash resulted in all charges being dropped. Ahmed and his siblings have since been pulled out of the school by their parents out of safety concerns.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #86300 on: September 22, 2015, 09:15:27 pm »

The main issue is that they tried to charge him with making a hoax bomb when he did nothing of the sort. To quote Frylock, "A hoax is a malicious or humorous deception, and this is clearly not that". He never said it was a bomb, he never implied that it was a bomb, he was quite clear was not a bomb. If arresting him wasn't a race thing then it was something even stupider and pettier. Myabe it was opposite day?
« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 09:19:03 pm by Bohandas »
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #86301 on: September 22, 2015, 09:24:00 pm »

Look, "It's true" isn't actually an automatic shield in a debate. Every point a person makes in a political discussion has an agenda - if you're not willing to take the time to explain what your agenda is, people will surmise it from the things you do say. Why you say what you say is often as important as what you say.

If I call a man a nigger, it doesn't actually matter that he's black. I'm still probably being a dick, and I should have a better explanation than "Well, it's true."

I stayed out of the thread after reading the OP, because I knew exactly where it was going. I don't know whose first language is what, but at least for native speakers it doesn't take a genius to figure out from tone and context what that post was trying to do. If facts were all he were trying to talk about, he could have supplied every fact in that post within a paragraph in another thread - starting a new thread, wording it as correction to the reader, and an aggressive one at that, and providing a short, cherry-picked list of facts specifically opposing a particular agenda, all smack of inciting a fight.

But, as I was saying, I stayed out of the thread, and I don't care to read it now because I honestly can't imagine how it would improve my life. And that's a big question I ask myself these days. The point for this post is, dude was being an ass from the get-go, whatever his opinion happened to be on the matter at hand. Maybe he deserved a warning, or a mute. Maybe other participants deserved punishment. I'm not actually prepared to speculate on the justice of the outcome when I have so little knowledge of the subject. But he was far from innocent in the whole thing.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86302 on: September 22, 2015, 09:32:11 pm »

Thread got locked and the OP got banned, maybe we shouldn't argue the actual case in the emotion thread.  Though to be fair I can't resist sending one PM.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #86303 on: September 22, 2015, 09:34:19 pm »

Did youtube just re-fuck their subscription layout AGAIN?
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #86304 on: September 22, 2015, 09:53:39 pm »

Seems the same to me. I wish subscriptions were on the front page instead of a useless "What our robot thinks you should watch" window, but what can you do, that's modern websites for you.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #86305 on: September 22, 2015, 10:00:57 pm »

Seems the same to me. I wish subscriptions were on the front page instead of a useless "What our robot thinks you should watch" window, but what can you do, that's modern websites for you.

They did a couple days ago for me, but apparently the change was reverted 'cause I'm not seeing it any more.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #86306 on: September 22, 2015, 10:01:26 pm »

I had grid-layout subscriptions that are now suddenly list-layout subscriptions again. Fucking.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #86307 on: September 22, 2015, 10:02:39 pm »

I haven't seen subscriptions laid out in a grid since before the Google buyout. Is that an option I've been missing this whole time?
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #86308 on: September 22, 2015, 10:12:03 pm »

Alright, I've got it, I had somehow exempted Greasemonkey to every part of Youtube but my subscriptions. Not sure how I did that before, but clearing cache undid it.
No Gods, No Masters.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86309 on: September 22, 2015, 10:16:59 pm »

I've had adblock configured for a couple years to block pretty much every UI element on youtube. The entire site is just the searchbar/results and the video I'm watching.
Pages: 1 ... 5752 5753 [5754] 5755 5756 ... 10973