Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5754 5755 [5756] 5757 5758 ... 10980

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13148745 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #86325 on: September 23, 2015, 10:18:26 am »

What about unescessary noise that doesn't come from your mouth? :v

Anyway, to clarify on the whole Ahmed thing (without the huge flaming pile of shit the other thread was in), apparently his dad is a sudanese politician who contested the presidency of Sudan in the last elections. The quick rise of the whole #IStandWithAhmed thing as well and the fact the clock he supposedly invented being a bit too similar to the contents of a certain commercial clock (including the display bit), make this whole thing seem more and more shady.

The site in that second link seems kind of tinfoil hat
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #86326 on: September 23, 2015, 10:35:33 am »

*scratches head* There's also the little thing where just about the only people claiming the kid "invented" a clock are folks attacking the situation. It looks similar to the contents of a commercial clock because that's where parts of it came from. Which was known from pretty early on, and there weren't really any attempts to obfuscate that, so far as I've been able to pick up.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #86327 on: September 23, 2015, 10:46:27 am »

As I said: it quickly turned into a platform for people to push their agendas from. Basically nobody shouting about it gives two shits about the kid, they just want to use him as an excuse to claim le lamestream liberal media/bad ebul discrimination police brutality. >.>

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86328 on: September 23, 2015, 10:48:18 am »

As I said: it quickly turned into a platform for people to push their agendas from. Basically nobody shouting about it gives two shits about the kid, they just want to use him as an excuse to claim le lamestream liberal media/bad ebul discrimination police brutality. >.>

Don't people have enough examples? It really isn't hard to find examples of police brutality.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #86329 on: September 23, 2015, 10:49:16 am »

So its basically gamersgate #2 now then?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86330 on: September 23, 2015, 10:53:23 am »

Well except Gamersgate wasn't really about Gamers gate but more centered around people's either growing dislike of pop feminists in gaming media (with anti-feminists latching on) or the news industry's noticing how irrelevant they are and lashing out... with extra cluster of things where no one knew any of the actual information along with a heaping helping of harassment all around.

As in they were really just extensions of previous issues boiling over. The straw that broke the camel's back. The problem was always there, this was just the trigger.

While this relies on just completely fabricating reality in order to conform to their longer reaching agenda. So there is no real boiling point, they are trying to get people enraged because no one is anyway. Not that racism and school racism doesn't exist, but so much that this isn't a holdover from previous outrage.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 10:55:51 am by Neonivek »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #86331 on: September 23, 2015, 10:56:07 am »

More like entertainment media round #N+1, coming to you live from the mid 1890s, now with extra political polarization and bell whistles.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86332 on: September 23, 2015, 10:57:21 am »

Frumple is pretty right.

I think this will pretty much blow over completely. No one really cares about the situation, they are just swept up.

It isn't like Obama isn't known for pulling this kind of crud. Remember when he was trying to alter the gun registration laws and put a child's drawing in the White House? This is pretty much his standard operating procedure to the point where I am wondering if the whole Obama thing was made up (because it sounds too convenient, and silly... Like some dumb rumor... but Obama is the sort of person who would totally do it)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 10:59:25 am by Neonivek »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86333 on: September 23, 2015, 11:03:31 am »

This has an actual narrative whereas, as far as I can tell, gamergate did not. Despite looking into it I could not get any sort of clear picture of what the term ei=ven meant except that it had something to do with feminists and something to do with gamers, may have had something to do with the news media, and that the title seemed to imply some sort of scandal; it was continually unclear precisely what it had to do with these groups, how they related to each other in this context, or what the scandal was.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #86334 on: September 23, 2015, 11:07:57 am »

I mean, let's be honest, there's no way in hell I'd bring something like that to school back when I was in it, and that's as a geeky white kid. As an Arab-looking kid in the South I'd only do it if I was feeling suicidal. That's basically zero common sense on his part, American schools are fucking crazy about security regardless of who you are, and there've been plenty that sanction kids hard for stupid things like making finger-gun gestures:P
That's not necessarily true.  American schools run the whole spectrum from "looks like a prison" to "essentially no security".  Depends on how many incidents they've had and where the school is.  He probably went to a school more like the one I went to.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86335 on: September 23, 2015, 11:10:09 am »

Imgur... Oh Imgur...

Malwarebytes blocks it, then ABP does (for some reason?), then it has had either ANOTHER UI update about as brain-shittingly stupid, or it's glitching out for some reason.
Some fuckwit was abusing Imgur's code to effectively DDOS 8chan which, if you didn't know, is a spin-off from 4chan. It's fixed now.

This has an actual narrative whereas, as far as I can tell, gamergate did not. Despite looking into it I could not get any sort of clear picture of what the term ei=ven meant except that it had something to do with feminists and something to do with gamers, may have had something to do with the news media, and that the title seemed to imply some sort of scandal; it was continually unclear precisely what it had to do with these groups, how they related to each other in this context, or what the scandal was.
GamerGate has plenty of narrative from both sides. The pro-GG narrative is that video game media (and in fact, Western media in general) is corrupt and biased. The anti-GG narrative, including much of said media, is that pro-GG is a bunch of lonely, sexist, racist right-wing shitlords that live in their parents' basements and harass anti-GG or something.

Edit: As a certified right-wing shitlord, I can confirm that GamerGate is not particularly right-wing, sexist, or racist, and their own polls show that it's mostly made up of left-leaning libertarians (that's liberals, for you European types)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 11:13:44 am by Morrigi »
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86336 on: September 23, 2015, 11:15:36 am »

For some really stupid reason Civ IV isn't available to purchace on steam on my country. However Civ III AND Civ V are. Don't know why. Is Venezuela by the way.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86337 on: September 23, 2015, 11:22:19 am »

This is before I even hear further stories, that are probably outright lies and rumors, that the clock he made counted down... meaning he set it up to look like a bomb intentionally.

Perhaps they should get rid of the gym teacher's stopwatch too. They usually have a countdown function.

This could be used as a anecdote to how schools are draconian in their protection of school premises... but as for a case of race. Frankly unless there is another part of the story where they actually tackled him to the ground and beat him with night sticks... I don't see it.
I don't consider race to be the main issue, but I don't think it helped. The main issue is that they still wanted to charge him even after it became clear that it wasn't a bomb. It was just as wrong when the same thing was done in 2007 to Peter Berdovsky (who is white).
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86338 on: September 23, 2015, 11:27:53 am »

Perhaps they should get rid of the gym teacher's stopwatch too. They usually have a countdown function.

The main issue is that they still wanted to charge him even after it became clear that it wasn't a bomb. It was just as wrong when the same thing was done in 2007 to Peter Berdovsky (who is white).

The key is if he made a wire clock to countdown. It would be incredibly difficult to justify it as anything but a kid trying to create a fake bomb scare or bringing a fake bomb to school for fun... and if he did do that it would be hard for me to even attempt to defend not charging the kid and bringing it to court.

It is why I won't believe the clock actually did that until I see a news story that specifically says it does. As the only defense for the kid at that point was that he was being incredibly stupid. It wouldn't even be up for debate... Some kid brings a bundle of wires with a clock that counts down to school in modern day America? The only question would be if the kid should be charged for deliberately scaring the school, or not for just not using common sense that something he brought could be construed as a bomb. Not whether the suspension was justified or not.

I mean I guess it depends how he was caught as well.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 11:38:30 am by Neonivek »

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86339 on: September 23, 2015, 12:35:13 pm »

GamerGate has plenty of narrative from both sides. The pro-GG narrative is that video game media (and in fact, Western media in general) is corrupt and biased. The anti-GG narrative, including much of said media, is that pro-GG is a bunch of lonely, sexist, racist right-wing shitlords that live in their parents' basements and harass anti-GG or something.

This is actually a good example. You say the pro-GamerGate side says this and the anti-GamerGate sife says that but at no time (either here or elsewhere) is a clear unambiguous definition given of what GamerGate actually is. It doesn't seem to be anything.
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις
Pages: 1 ... 5754 5755 [5756] 5757 5758 ... 10980