Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5755 5756 [5757] 5758 5759 ... 10979

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13131501 times)

Jopax

• Bay Watcher
  • Cat on a hat
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #86340 on: September 23, 2015, 01:12:50 pm »

Today seems to be an opposite of yesterday. It's barely 8 PM and I can hardly keep my eyes open. I think the beer I had after dinner doesn't help but hey, I'm so bored that I might just go to bed this early.
"my batteries are low and it's getting dark"
AS - IG

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #86341 on: September 23, 2015, 01:37:05 pm »

Good grief. Number of girls known and met regularly more than doubled.

Advice, kids: don't go to a single-sex school at age 10, and lose contact with the slimy girls in your life. Your future self will hate you.
One wheel short of a wagon

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #86342 on: September 23, 2015, 01:42:33 pm »

For some really stupid reason Civ IV isn't available to purchace on steam on my country. However Civ III AND Civ V are. Don't know why. Is Venezuela by the way.
Ah yes, the joys of South America. It might because Civ4 has something your government dislikes. There are other places you can buy the game at, probably.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86343 on: September 23, 2015, 02:22:12 pm »

Edit: As a certified right-wing shitlord, I can confirm that GamerGate is not particularly right-wing, sexist, or racist, and their own polls show that it's mostly made up of left-leaning libertarians (that's liberals, for you European types)

I have little interest in GamerGate's politics, but the media reaction was nasty when it attacked gamers as a concept, and it was not grounded in reality.

Studies of American gamers actually show that black and hispanics are over-represented when you look at the people who put the most hours into gaming, and who has the right to call themselves a gamer more than the people who put the most percentage of their time into that one hobby. Whites are actually under-represented. And asians are the least likely to be gamers. Being from a lower socioeconomic group is actually a good predictor of being a gamer. People of privilege actually have the money and social connections to go and do stuff, so gaming seems to be more attractive to those without privilege.

Basically, the raw data contradicts any narrative that gamers as a whole represent white male privilege. That was the media representation of gamers (and they concede that a few of them are asians too). But that stereotype of a predominance of privileged white and asian male gamers does not align with any actual data that exists. I'm not involved in GamerGate, but any blanket backlash against "gamers" as a whole isn't in line with reality.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 02:30:19 pm by Reelya »

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86344 on: September 23, 2015, 02:29:47 pm »

Perhaps an initially established group has the loudest voice by far, as the other groups don't join together to drown it out at all?

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86345 on: September 23, 2015, 02:31:58 pm »

Well, one issue is that the anti-GG media is almost all made of well-off white males, telling "gamers" as a whole that they are the privileged ones. Games journalism reflects white male privilege - it's whiter and wealthier than the general population. Games playing represents disadvantages socioeconomic groups - it's more diverse than the general population.

The games media industry is a lot more homogenous than game players. Go hire more black people and women for your journals, then lecture the rest of us, after that. So, when you get a Sam Biddle preaching his head off about diversity, it sort of rings hollow.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 02:36:05 pm by Reelya »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86346 on: September 23, 2015, 02:36:45 pm »

Anytime you mention anything about one group being catered to because "They buy it the most" the usual response is "Well maybe if you included them more"

Which has some merit... but has becoming so much a default that it becomes hypocritical.

But that just assumes that they are being catered to overwhelmingly anyhow.

Well, one issue is that the anti-GG media is almost all made of well-off white males, telling "gamers" as a whole that they are the privileged ones. Games journalism reflects white male privilege - it's whiter and wealthier than the general population. Games playing represents disadvantages socioeconomic groups - it's more diverse than the general population.

The games media industry is a lot more homogenous than game players. Go hire more black people and women for your journals, then lecture the rest of us, after that. So, when you get a Sam Biddle preaching his head off about diversity, it sort of rings hollow.

Games get more flack BECAUSE they are more progressive...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 02:57:07 pm by Neonivek »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86347 on: September 23, 2015, 02:50:46 pm »

because the community of gamers are more open to criticizing their medium and think critically about what they see and play.
Enter Xbox live :P

Ehhh, I stand by what I said

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86348 on: September 23, 2015, 03:36:35 pm »

Just realised that I'm building theories on nothing about girls, me, possible correlations, but still can't wipe the smile from my face when I think about it. Past experience show that it'll fail hilariously, but.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #86349 on: September 23, 2015, 04:00:11 pm »

Games get more flack BECAUSE they are more progressive...

"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #86350 on: September 23, 2015, 04:00:41 pm »

Hey, you're not alone.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86351 on: September 23, 2015, 04:03:49 pm »

AAAAGH I hate Other M so much.
And that's all I have to say about that
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86352 on: September 23, 2015, 04:09:26 pm »

Everyone hates Other M.  If the game had no voice acting and no plot beyond a page of text or so like Super Metroid, it would have fared much better.  Less is more.

Harry Baldman

• Bay Watcher
  • What do I care for your suffering?
    • View Profile
« Reply #86353 on: September 23, 2015, 04:10:35 pm »

Elder Scrolls is guilty of the same old BS that the entire fantasy genre has been spouting since Tolkien, which is using fantasy races as a way to talk about race without actually including any people of color in your story (this is coming from someone who has read a ton of books and like 90% of them were sci-fi or fantasy).  Granted I believe TES does have some PoC but its no significant number, like I'd probably say something like <1% of the characters in the two that I've played.

I dunno, Morrowind's definitely full of black people who occasionally are displeased at foreigners tampering with their culture and age-old traditions.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #86354 on: September 23, 2015, 04:14:17 pm »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Redguards basically TES Arabs?

That said, it might not be very relevant.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.
Pages: 1 ... 5755 5756 [5757] 5758 5759 ... 10979