Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5759 5760 [5761] 5762 5763 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13163235 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #86400 on: September 23, 2015, 08:32:56 pm »

It doesn't help that the Great Gatsby aged TERRIBLY in that the themes present in the book no longer apply.

The Weenie protagonist is insufferable in an age where men aren't judged by their ability to bench press anymore. Nor does Gatsby himself hold any mystique for the modern reader because he is basically a negative archtype in the modern age.

Hm.  Reading in the late 90's, I liked the protagonist, but couldn't stand Gatsby himself.  Couldn't stand someone so well off, yet so (speciously) incontent.
Heh, irony.

I'll still think that this Halo 3 teaser is a triumph good example of cinematography:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rQxECNq_dOk

Such a shame they never made a Halo 4
such. a. shame.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 08:35:32 pm by Rolan7 »
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #86401 on: September 23, 2015, 08:43:33 pm »

-snip-
Its not about realism.  I never mentioned the word realism, and, if you re-read my post, I never actually said I wanted real life racism in TES.  Saying that fantasy racism is a bad plotline does not necessarily mean that real racism should go in its place.

What I'm saying is, if you're going to put plotlines about race in, you need to actually have humans of different races in significant numbers.  Else you get to have your cake (not having to put minorities in your game) and eat it too (still discuss racial issues).

Alright, I'm going to do the stupid "what if women ruled the world" thing because that's apparently the level of conversation we're at.  What if, there were three different kinds of black people (or any other race, but in this example they're all THE SAME RACE), and one type of white person.  And we go to Skyrim, and every single person there is a viking-a-like but they aren't human, they're polar bear people.  Its an entire realm of polar bear people.  Then the next two places we go are deserts, where 95% of the human characters are black.  There's a subplots about viking-a-likes and indian-a-likes and roman-a-likes all coming to visit your Africa-a-like.  But they're all polar bear people and bird people and elephant people.  The vast majority of humans are all variants of African, and there is ONE other human race that isn't that common in the games that isn't African.

That would be weird right?

You know what, let's go a step further and say that race isn't white, they're Japanese.  If you're a white TES player in this stupid rhetorical device of an alternate universe, you can't play anyone who looks like you.  Just like real life asians!

Spoiler: Disclaimer (click to show/hide)

tl;dr: It's like bitching about Western Europe using a numeral system from India because you haven't bothered to study how the ideas were transferred through intercultural contact. Or complaining that a heavily fragmented landmass has distinct population groups and cultures (even in cases where there aren't distinct races in the sense of literal different species). If Real Life were a fantasy series.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 08:46:19 pm by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Tawa

• Bay Watcher
  • the first mankind all over the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #86402 on: September 23, 2015, 09:03:22 pm »

And this discussion of said book brings me to the true WTF of the night.
I don't use Bay12 much anymore. PM me if you need to get in touch with me and I'll send you my Discord handle.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86403 on: September 23, 2015, 09:08:07 pm »

She/they
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #86404 on: September 23, 2015, 09:18:53 pm »

Every part of that was amazing.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #86405 on: September 23, 2015, 09:21:24 pm »

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #86406 on: September 23, 2015, 09:25:07 pm »

I tried some homemade african chips. I don't really understand why my family like them.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #86407 on: September 23, 2015, 09:35:26 pm »

... which chips? Also how'd they make 'em?
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86408 on: September 23, 2015, 09:40:01 pm »

Wow, you're totally right.  Huh!

I think I saw it on either Retsupurae or Gamegrumps, and was completely hoodwinked.  Cred to you for knowing it was artificial.
She/they

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86409 on: September 23, 2015, 09:41:24 pm »

Create white centered media and distribute among white people? I guess it'd crash because it's kind of hard to compete with

Yes... because media aimed at minorities that is distributed among those minorities has NEVER succeeded.

Sarcasm aside it has and continues to be profitable to this day. Though it depends on how much of a tertiary audience you want to pull in.

If you expect white people to never be a human minority than it could be weird

Actually that is kind of the weird thing. People honestly do feel that way.

But I attribute that to the "Hive mind Theory" in that whenever people are talking about race, gender, and what have you. They always do so on the basis that ALL of them everywhere share a hive mind and co-ordinate with eachother in absolute unity. So even if you were in say... Japan... The fact that white people exist in America and are the majority there transposes to Japan.

This also includes "bleeding". So if a group as subgroups that might be treated differently or have different needs... They are still considered to be part of the main group with all the exact same needs. So as a non-offensive example: Africans are lumped into the same group as African Americans in spite of the fact that they have a vastly different culture and needs. This is before even getting into the fact that Africa is a continent with many countries and cultures that are lumped together into one messy pile.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 09:54:21 pm by Neonivek »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86410 on: September 23, 2015, 10:00:56 pm »

I tried some homemade african chips. I don't really understand why my family like them.
Spoiler: continuing (click to show/hide)
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86411 on: September 23, 2015, 10:05:40 pm »

I think it boils down to that we are each looking for something different EnigmaticHat or rather that our differences cannot be resolved, which is fine.

Though I do like that you at least grasp my main argument. That I think it is progressive because it doesn't care that a minority exists, they are just there. At least more so then the way most TV shows handle race.

While I think yours is that they are basically just some fantasy race that aren't of significant prominence in order to really count. Essentially giving them a "see we deal with racism" without actually dealing with it because they are basically just cardboard cut outs.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 10:08:57 pm by Neonivek »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86412 on: September 23, 2015, 10:39:32 pm »

That I think it is progressive because it doesn't care that a minority exists, they are just there.
Yeah, we're on the same page about that.  TES did that well.  I don't view it as awful or offensive or whatever, I just think its part of a negative trend.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #86413 on: September 23, 2015, 10:48:23 pm »

oh god i started playing a MIDI I transcribed of a song that tends to get stuck in my head (Moonsetter, MIDIs I transcribe tend to get really stuck because I remember placing the notes) so that Undertale music gets out

suddenly realized after a short while that I just switched to a Toby Fox song to get Toby Fox's soundtracks out of my head

godDAMN

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86414 on: September 23, 2015, 10:50:26 pm »

That I think it is progressive because it doesn't care that a minority exists, they are just there.
Yeah, we're on the same page about that.  TES did that well.  I don't view it as awful or offensive or whatever, I just think its part of a negative trend.

Because of a lack of prominence?
Pages: 1 ... 5759 5760 [5761] 5762 5763 ... 10983