Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5760 5761 [5762] 5763 5764 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13167271 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #86415 on: September 23, 2015, 10:55:53 pm »

It was already there/it kept happening
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #86416 on: September 23, 2015, 11:03:29 pm »

... which chips? Also how'd they make 'em?
No clue. They were given to my mum by a muslim coworker.

That I think it is progressive because it doesn't care that a minority exists, they are just there.
Yeah, we're on the same page about that.  TES did that well.  I don't view it as awful or offensive or whatever, I just think its part of a negative trend.
Then we are just going to have to disagree as well. I like an indifference for any human minority(dictated by setting) in fiction because human majority vs human minority turns my stomach.

As far as fanfic vs default writer I don't see that as really fitting what I've seen and read of TES. The setting was already there by the time I found out about it and there would have needed to be some sort of plot to get enough redguard in the other provinces to be significant and not have racial tension(as demonstrated by Dark Elves only being segregated after they began coming in droves to Skyrim).
It would be cool to see more of Hammerfell but then your issue would exist in the other direction.Or maybe I'll just watch an LP of Redguard.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

KingofstarrySkies

• Bay Watcher
  • It's been a long time...
    • View Profile
« Reply #86417 on: September 23, 2015, 11:12:38 pm »

They are making an Angry Birds movie.
And the trailer genuinely made me laugh.
Sigtextastic
Vereor Nox.
There'll be another King, another sky, and a billion more stars...

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #86418 on: September 23, 2015, 11:14:31 pm »

I just transcribed a 4-measure song into sheet music and felt satisfied with myself

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #86419 on: September 23, 2015, 11:14:49 pm »

... I mean, which sort of chip? Fries chip or chip chip? Dunno which nomenclature your area uses for that :V
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #86420 on: September 23, 2015, 11:24:56 pm »

... I mean, which sort of chip? Fries chip or chip chip? Dunno which nomenclature your area uses for that :V
Chip chip assuming you mean a very thin potato wedge like in America.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #86421 on: September 23, 2015, 11:27:28 pm »

That I think it is progressive because it doesn't care that a minority exists, they are just there.
Yeah, we're on the same page about that.  TES did that well.  I don't view it as awful or offensive or whatever, I just think its part of a negative trend.
Then we are just going to have to disagree as well. I like an indifference for any human minority(dictated by setting) in fiction because human majority vs human minority turns my stomach.

As far as fanfic vs default writer I don't see that as really fitting what I've seen and read of TES. The setting was already there by the time I found out about it and there would have needed to be some sort of plot to get enough redguard in the other provinces to be significant and not have racial tension(as demonstrated by Dark Elves only being segregated after they began coming in droves to Skyrim).
It would be cool to see more of Hammerfell but then your issue would exist in the other direction.Or maybe I'll just watch an LP of Redguard.
For my part, I enjoy fantasy works that don't try to ape social structures &c. from real life -- it's a sign of lazy worldbuilding when all of the conflicts, tensions, groups, &c. are completely straightforward expies of real-world stuff. That's part of why I liked the Wheel of Time series: the world was full of nods to cultures &c. from Earth, but everything was so scrambled up that there weren't any direct translations. IMO things are made richer, not cheapened, by not conforming to our notions of how culture, society, &c. are structured. I don't want to read about the Cold War, but with elves and dwarves, or the Civil Rights Movement with the races shuffled around, &c. -- I want to read about unique places with their own features and problems.

As an aside, I'd love to see another TES game set in Hammerfell -- the whole Yokudan flight to Hammerfell and the history of Yokuda with HoonDing is the perfect setup for a TES player charater. Legendary figure who only rarely arises? Check. Closely associated with a supernatural entity? Check. Unique power? Check. Period of extreme civil unrest? Check.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #86422 on: September 23, 2015, 11:28:14 pm »

Cyrus was the HoonDing, regardless of how much he denies it.

He killed a friggin dragon, dude, and plenty of crazy stuff besides. Michael Kirkbride was pretty heavy in that game (he wrote the comic and Pocket Guide to the Empire that came with it; said PGE also introduced the concept of the Thu'um to the series), and his later writings about Cyrus sorta amp up the "normal guy getting out of incredibly fantastic situations" bit that Cyrus has for him. To be exact, one is about him facing off against Vivec and... not losing and the other is about him escaping the wrath of Tiber Septim after being tied up and Shouted at by him (including some complaints by Tiber about Cyrus killing Vivec in the earlier encounter, which Tiber undid).
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 11:31:18 pm by Putnam »

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #86423 on: September 23, 2015, 11:29:26 pm »

Chip chip assuming you mean a very thin potato wedge like in America.
Aye, that'd do it.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #86424 on: September 23, 2015, 11:34:13 pm »

Cyrus was the HoonDing, regardless of how much he denies it.

He killed a friggin dragon, dude, and plenty of crazy stuff besides. Michael Kirkbride was pretty heavy in that game (he wrote the comic and Pocket Guide to the Empire that came with it; said PGE also introduced the concept of the Thu'um to the series), and his later writings about Cyrus sorta amp up the "normal guy getting out of incredibly fantastic situations" bit that Cyrus has for him. To be exact, one is about him facing off against Vivec and... not losing and the other is about him escaping the wrath of Tiber Septim after being tied up and Shouted at by him (including some complaints by Tiber about Cyrus killing Vivec in the earlier encounter, which Tiber undid).

Yeah, that's my own take on it as well -- it's less likely that he wasn't. I just want to see what sort of situation Hammerfell is after the war, and obviously see it all prettified.

That, or TES: Black Marsh done properly, and I trust Bethesda to do that than I do for them to do Hammerfell well.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #86425 on: September 23, 2015, 11:36:33 pm »

Is... is HoonDing an actual name from the lore, or a fan nickname?
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86426 on: September 23, 2015, 11:38:22 pm »

I want to see the Valenwood, full of sharp-toothed carnivorous bosmer.  Fae done right.
My favorite single Elder Scrolls book has got to be the Skyrim one where the "diplomat" visits the bosmer, and leaves his friends there.

Failing that, I'd like to see Elsweyr, or even maybe Blackmarsh.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #86427 on: September 23, 2015, 11:41:03 pm »

Is... is HoonDing an actual name from the lore, or a fan nickname?

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Lore:HoonDing

HoonDing is the Yokudan "make way" god. Basically, he materializes and... the Redguards win.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #86428 on: September 23, 2015, 11:46:14 pm »

I honestly don't think Fantasy Racism is a bad plotline, nor is it a cop out for having real people.

Tolkien wasn't really about racism and it didn't handle fantasy racism beyond people not liking one another. It was plot detail but not really a theme.

I agree. I didn't really see very much significant in that regard in The Hobbit or The Silmarillion (I never read Lord of the Rings all the way through though, so maybe there's something in there?)
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86429 on: September 23, 2015, 11:48:12 pm »

Evil demons always sort of present a difficulty in story writing.

I like it when the Daedra are not so much pure evil as they are often against the things Tamriel want and that a few of them can outright be 'good' or at least so much as they can be.

The best example of this I guess is the God of Insanity who oddly enough has done more to help Tamriel then almost any other Daedra.

I never read Lord of the Rings all the way through though, so maybe there's something in there?

No other then saying "this is the first time an elf and dwarf has been friends before" no... and their dislike of eachother at first seemed to be based on them having different cultures that oppose each other naturally then because of outright racism (Mostly that no elf would put up with Dwarf uncouthness long enough to become friends... and no Dwarf would put up with the elves stick up their butt long enough either)
« Last Edit: September 23, 2015, 11:50:23 pm by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 5760 5761 [5762] 5763 5764 ... 10983