Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5761 5762 [5763] 5764 5765 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13179632 times)

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #86430 on: September 23, 2015, 11:50:12 pm »

It doesn't help that the Great Gatsby aged TERRIBLY in that the themes present in the book no longer apply.

The Weenie protagonist is insufferable in an age where men aren't judged by their ability to bench press anymore. Nor does Gatsby himself hold any mystique for the modern reader because he is basically a negative archtype in the modern age, so his downfall isn't so much "And so the mighty fall" so much as "And so the expected happened".

Or rather... It isn't the 1920s anymore. We don't fondly look at the 1910s anymore.

I had to read The Great Gatsby in high school and I honestly couldn't tell what (if anything) it was supposed to be about, nor what was going on half the time. It was also insufferably dull.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86431 on: September 23, 2015, 11:51:10 pm »

It doesn't help that the Great Gatsby aged TERRIBLY in that the themes present in the book no longer apply.

The Weenie protagonist is insufferable in an age where men aren't judged by their ability to bench press anymore. Nor does Gatsby himself hold any mystique for the modern reader because he is basically a negative archtype in the modern age, so his downfall isn't so much "And so the mighty fall" so much as "And so the expected happened".

Or rather... It isn't the 1920s anymore. We don't fondly look at the 1910s anymore.

I had to read it in high school and I honestly couldn't tell what (if anything) it was supposed to be about, nor what was going on half the time.

Read more Lovecraft... He loved that setting.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86432 on: September 23, 2015, 11:52:00 pm »

Lovecraft I understand.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86433 on: September 23, 2015, 11:57:28 pm »

Lovecraft I understand.

Well imagine Joe Diamond settled down after making it rich killing Cthulhu. There, you have Gatsby

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86434 on: September 24, 2015, 12:00:25 am »

Yeah I think the Daedra have their own interests, domains.  Some of which partially intersect with what mortals consider good...  Most or all intersect with what some mortals crave.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86435 on: September 24, 2015, 12:03:46 am »

Its not about realism.  I never mentioned the word realism, and, if you re-read my post, I never actually said I wanted real life racism in TES.  Saying that fantasy racism is a bad plotline does not necessarily mean that real racism should go in its place.

What I'm saying is, if you're going to put plotlines about race in, you need to actually have humans of different races in significant numbers.  Else you get to have your cake (not having to put minorities in your game) and eat it too (still discuss racial issues).

Alright, I'm going to do the stupid "what if women ruled the world" thing because that's apparently the level of conversation we're at.  What if, there were three different kinds of black people (or any other race, but in this example they're all THE SAME RACE), and one type of white person.  And we go to Skyrim, and every single person there is a viking-a-like but they aren't human, they're polar bear people.  Its an entire realm of polar bear people.  Then the next two places we go are deserts, where 95% of the human characters are black.  There's a subplots about viking-a-likes and indian-a-likes and roman-a-likes all coming to visit your Africa-a-like.  But they're all polar bear people and bird people and elephant people.  The vast majority of humans are all variants of African, and there is ONE other human race that isn't that common in the games that isn't African.

That would be weird right?

You know what, let's go a step further and say that race isn't white, they're Japanese.  If you're a white TES player in this stupid rhetorical device of an alternate universe, you can't play anyone who looks like you.  Just like real life asians!

Cause white romans totally had katanas right?  It would be unrealistic for the samurai expies to not be white guys.  That would be like a Vatican City full of Buddhists am I right?
And before some smartass says "that would be awesome", the example STILL doesn't completely work because of the context.  Imagine in this universe, in your country, white people are the historically oppressed minority and ALL the media is about black people.  Because this is the level I need to sink to apparently to make my point.

Wait. If that was what's happening then wouldn't most of the playable races be subsets of the Argonians? Because it's the lizard people who really run the Earth?
What is TPP
----------------------
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

ArKFallen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bohandean Desserter
    • View Profile
« Reply #86436 on: September 24, 2015, 12:07:28 am »

Lovecraft I understand.

Well imagine Joe Diamond settled down after making it rich killing Cthulhu. There, you have Gatsby
I found this so confusing I looked up the Great Gatsby just to make sure I was thinking of the right book.
Hm, have you considered murder?  It's either that or letting it go.
SigText
I logged back on ;_;

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #86437 on: September 24, 2015, 12:43:19 am »

-snip-

Wait. If that was what's happening then wouldn't most of the playable races be subsets of the Argonians? Because it's the lizard people who really run the Earth?
Haha yes that is fantasy and not real life.  Good joke.  You type well with your pink hands that I also have.

(also I've said my thing and I'm done)
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86438 on: September 24, 2015, 01:05:50 am »

have your cake (not having to put minorities in your game)
ssh, you'll give away the secret of the white character fund
gotta keep that shit under wraps
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #86439 on: September 24, 2015, 01:10:44 am »

have your cake (not having to put minorities in your game)
ssh, you'll give away the secret of the white character fund
gotta keep that shit under wraps
That reminds me, I need to send in an application so I can keep all those Asian characters out of my next book. Can't let minorities get in the way of the plot, y'know.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86440 on: September 24, 2015, 01:34:29 am »

Reading Jenny Trouts 50 shades lets read again.

It is always hilarious, well except for the dark chapters, given how horribly written it is. I am so honestly curious how inaccurate to the book the movie is. I mean they couldn't possibly make anyone as emotionally destroyed as Ana an actual protagonist... they would need to replace her with someone with a TINY bit of confidence.

The problem though... is I'd have to actually watch the movie...
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 01:43:00 am by Neonivek »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86441 on: September 24, 2015, 04:16:50 am »

left-leaning libertarians (that's liberals, for you European types)

Ten pages later but I must correct this.
Libertarian is very right wing AFAIK
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86442 on: September 24, 2015, 04:28:48 am »

left-leaning libertarians (that's liberals, for you European types)

Ten pages later but I must correct this.
Libertarian is very right wing AFAIK

Depends on the country. Libertarian doesn't mean the same thing in every place.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #86443 on: September 24, 2015, 04:30:29 am »

Reading Jenny Trouts 50 shades lets read again.

It is always hilarious, well except for the dark chapters, given how horribly written it is. I am so honestly curious how inaccurate to the book the movie is. I mean they couldn't possibly make anyone as emotionally destroyed as Ana an actual protagonist... they would need to replace her with someone with a TINY bit of confidence.

The problem though... is I'd have to actually watch the movie...
From what I have heard, they fixed it by having Ana pull a Bella. AKA she doesn't seem to possess any capability for strong emotions.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #86444 on: September 24, 2015, 04:31:29 am »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 5761 5762 [5763] 5764 5765 ... 10983