Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5762 5763 [5764] 5765 5766 ... 10980

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13146391 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #86445 on: September 24, 2015, 04:35:18 am »

From what I have heard, they fixed it by having Ana pull a Bella. AKA she doesn't seem to possess any capability for strong emotions.

Thanks, that answers that. I guess plywood can't really consent or refuse... or feel crippling depression... or feel threatened by blonde women... Or constantly yell at her friend for looking out for her.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 04:42:37 am by Neonivek »

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #86448 on: September 24, 2015, 05:27:08 am »

Because it's a fantasy game. You don't expect a fantasy game to depict real-world racism, do you?

every orc being a conduit for the divine will of an actually evil god

no

and by that i mean... hell no???

malacath is not even remotely one of the more evil daedra

Dude... The guy is literally a piece of shit :v
Love, scriver~

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #86449 on: September 24, 2015, 05:30:58 am »

Lovecraft I understand.
Well imagine Joe Diamond settled down after making it rich killing Cthulhu. There, you have Gatsby
That reminds me of one of Lovecraft's stories about a scientist who goes up to someone saying they're a prophet of some mad chaos god, and the scientist begins slagging off the prophet (who is in fact, THE chaos god). It is absolutely hilarious, even if it ends ambiguously, I find there's not many stories where a human goes Zhakarov on an actual god.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #86450 on: September 24, 2015, 05:48:12 am »

left-leaning libertarians (that's liberals, for you European types)

Ten pages later but I must correct this.
Libertarian is very right wing AFAIK

Depends on the country. Libertarian doesn't mean the same thing in every place.

That's right. "Libertarian" used to be basically a more PC way of telling people you follow political anarchism (without the false connotation that anarchists are all bomb-throwing nihilists that used to be prevalent). And it was that way since about the 1850's.

It was only in the 1950's that right-wing capitalists co-opted the name "libertarian" in the United States. So, it's meaning has changed within living memory, and only in one country. So, libertarian as a synonym for anarchism (generally a left-wing view) is older and established in many more countries than the bastardized American right-wing version. That definitely gives people the absolute right to say "Libertarian doesn't mean that to me"
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 05:49:45 am by Reelya »

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86451 on: September 24, 2015, 06:27:55 am »

The 'for you European types' makes me feel as though it's being said from an American perspective.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #86452 on: September 24, 2015, 07:27:50 am »

Maybe they're austrailian or asian? or even just canadian?
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #86453 on: September 24, 2015, 07:56:37 am »

It doesn't help that the Great Gatsby aged TERRIBLY

You know. I was just reading through the wikipedia article about that book and apparently nobody liked it when it first came out either
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86454 on: September 24, 2015, 08:15:31 am »

It doesn't help that the Great Gatsby aged TERRIBLY

You know. I was just reading through the wikipedia article about that book and apparently nobody liked it when it first came out either

Same with Moby Dick.  I hate that book passionately.

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86455 on: September 24, 2015, 08:31:04 am »

Same with Moby Dick.  I hate that book passionately.
I sense a book deal in the making. A story about a man who spent his life chasing after the one albino copy of the book that took away a part of his precious young life when he first read it, his unending thirst for revenge leading to ruin of all around him.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #86456 on: September 24, 2015, 08:47:46 am »

I tried to get through that tome in college and only got a third of the way through. I like classic literature and all, especially from the 19th century, but it's just so rambling and unfocused that I lost all interest.

It sold poorly in its time and was harshly reviewed, and rightfully so.  It took about 60 years or so until some group of academics declared it was good, and here we are.
« Last Edit: September 24, 2015, 08:51:29 am by Bouchart »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #86457 on: September 24, 2015, 09:52:21 am »

but whale dick steak
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #86458 on: September 24, 2015, 09:59:35 am »

It doesn't stand out a ton if you just pick it up and read it once through, but if you want a book that you can reread dozens of times and find something new to dissect every time, Moby Dick is for you. Especially if you want to get into contemporary writing.

This means it's better recieved among academics than casual readers, but that's not because the academics are wrong. It just takes more effort to get into than a casual reader is usually willing to invest. Kind of reminds me of a certain game.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #86459 on: September 24, 2015, 10:03:18 am »

Playing Phantasy Calradia.  After a brief  unsatisfying stint as a vassal of Sanjar Khan, I joined the Dethseram empire, taking with me what territories I conquered during my brief rebellion (Narra and Ichamur, basically). Now Lich King Maliran is declaring war on Swadia over and over, while never actually moving any troops outside the desert. He also hosts feasts non-stop. So I'm basically holding  the marque all by myself, while the rest of the lords of the empire hold a party. Decadent much?
There's two kinds of performance reviews: the one you make they don't read, the one they make whilst they sharpen their daggers
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.
Pages: 1 ... 5762 5763 [5764] 5765 5766 ... 10980