Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5791 5792 [5793] 5794 5795 ... 10984

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13208453 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #86880 on: September 30, 2015, 08:43:46 am »

TL;DR version is that TvTropes suddenly and without warning changed their policy, claiming that all user-submitted material was their intellectual property, despite, if I remember correctly, changing such a policy like that nullifies it. This caused a break, were somebody decided to pull as much as they could from the TvTropes servers and used that to found AllTheTropes - something that might have been illegal, although it's difficult to say since what TvTropes did was illegal too.

At least, that's how I read it as.

Actually, ATT has subsequently reconstructed everything without using any material directly copied from TVT (or so they claim).

There was also the issue of censorship. The official line from TVT was that it was imposed by Google with the threat of ads being pulled. IIRC it originated with people from SA trolling TVT by sending advertisers screenshots with their ads on pages with borderline sexual content, but there's been SJW undertones for years. The advertising shitstorm gave an excuse for a lot of the crappy mods and admins to start banning dissenters while also affording the SJW types a chance to push for heavier censorship.

It's honestly sad, considering that it was a (somewhat shit) joke site that is now being run by a cabal of morons who take it completely seriously. That, and the way it subtly encourages dull, cliched writing and thought--if you think that potholing a link to a trope page is interesting or deep, there might not be much left to save. That's not really the fault of the abusive mods or pro-censorship crowd, though.

But yes, those two factors combined are why it was forked, and why the fork is both completely reliant on donation to stay afloat (Orain was, incidentally, a charity service that hosted wikis for free), as well as why ATT is very specific about the type of license they operate under. Just your friendly neighborhood jerk reminding you now that TVT is run by assholes for assholes these days.
Considering I don't pay attention to either site for more than using something to read, this honestly just sounds like a whole lot of internet complaining about admins that you brought up because it was unexpected.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #86881 on: September 30, 2015, 09:44:19 am »

How come every umbrella I've ever owned gets destroyed by the slightest breeze?
Presumably 'cause you owned shoddy umbrellas? Either that or that "slightest breeze" is actually throwing cats around...

It is pretty hard to find an umbrella that'll actually resist strong winds, though. Their construction doesn't really lend itself well to the task. Looking into things, you apparently want one that's fiberglass and has multiple rib-whatsits? Seems like most are made out of shite aluminum and whatnot.

What you'd want if you want one that just won't do the inversion thing is probably an umbrella that just doesn't fold out. Y'know, something like sheet metal on a stick or whatev'. Be clumsy as the blazes to carry around, but it'd be hell to break.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #86882 on: September 30, 2015, 10:21:02 am »

Aren't there those umbrellas that shield from rain by blowing air? Expensive and I don't have any first-hand experience with one, but I doubt it would be destroyed by wind.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

scrdest

• Bay Watcher
  • Girlcat?/o_ o
    • View Profile
« Reply #86883 on: September 30, 2015, 10:28:27 am »

Aren't there those umbrellas that shield from rain by blowing air? Expensive and I don't have any first-hand experience with one, but I doubt it would be destroyed by wind.
True, but that kind, if you use it in the wind, most likely... blows.
We are doomed. It's just that whatever is going to kill us all just happens to be, from a scientific standpoint, pretty frickin' awesome.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #86884 on: September 30, 2015, 11:30:03 am »

True, but that kind, if you use it in the wind, most likely... blows.
Yeah, apparently the air shield falls apart in anything heavier than a light wind (and they have the side effect of taking all the water that would normally splatter you, and instead splattering any innocent bystanders with it, potentially around their umbrellas).
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #86886 on: September 30, 2015, 11:39:33 am »

And... why is the doctor's crotch censored? Dear god, why, Japan?
One wheel short of a wagon

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #86887 on: September 30, 2015, 11:46:30 am »

And... why is the doctor's crotch censored? Dear god, why, Japan?

You're probably seeing the bubble over the medicine.

Alternatively, because seeing his crotch would imply he had genitalia.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #86888 on: September 30, 2015, 11:47:13 am »

Does he even have pants?
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #86889 on: September 30, 2015, 12:02:26 pm »

Magma pants!
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #86890 on: September 30, 2015, 12:13:29 pm »

Nah, he had pants right up until the point he contracted terminal fire crotch. Then, no more pants.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #86891 on: September 30, 2015, 01:10:26 pm »

Somehow managed to PM myself on accident
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #86892 on: September 30, 2015, 01:11:41 pm »

Somehow managed to PM myself on accident

I heard you can go blind from that.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #86893 on: September 30, 2015, 01:46:01 pm »

Nah, not blind, only mute if you do it more than 20 times in an hour.
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #86894 on: September 30, 2015, 02:43:30 pm »

20? Ow. Your PM box would get all inflamed if you sent yourself that many.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.
Pages: 1 ... 5791 5792 [5793] 5794 5795 ... 10984