Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5828 5829 [5830] 5831 5832 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13176131 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #87435 on: October 09, 2015, 03:43:17 pm »

TF2 is much more fun imo, although snipers just dominate at higher levels, which is pretty sad since something like that is exactly what Valve wanted to avoid when designing the game.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Egan_BW

• Bay Watcher
  • technical difficulties
    • View Profile
« Reply #87436 on: October 09, 2015, 03:46:27 pm »

Tbh everything I've seen from comp CS is people peeking corners. Seems rather boring.
Computer Computer Science? That's redundant.  :P
Insatiable consumption. Ceaseless motion. Unstoppable destruction.

sprinkled chariot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87437 on: October 09, 2015, 03:47:45 pm »

my country seems to be engaging into some useless war impossible to win :-\

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #87438 on: October 09, 2015, 03:58:46 pm »

Counter Strike 2D is a top-down shooter, and I'm pretty sure there are more games like that.

Anyway, the reason why I've put Dota 2 as a shooter is because of Counter-Strike. The skill sets required for a professional CS player and professional Dota 2 player are very similar - both require extensive memorization of "item buying", both have a distinctive "early game" period, which both sides exit by acquiring enough money to buy their mid-game loadouts, both have the same focus on team-play, and both has a lot of twitch shooting - literally in case of CS, and by using skills - in case of Dota 2.

DOTA 2 and CS:GO pretty much share the developer, a few quirks of that developer, a competitive mindset, and nothing else.

DOTA 2, while it is a twitch game, is nowhere near the LEVEL of twitch that CS is.  Ability use in DOTA is 95% timing and positioning, actual aim is rarely a factor.  In CS its, well, pretty much your only "ability" is shooting people with the occasional grenade throw.  CS is all about tiny fractions of seconds and a "he knows I know that he knows" game of positioning.  Everyone is working as a team, everyone has memorized the levels, and everyone is a crazy fast headshotter; you just need have a slightly better plan and be a slightly faster shot.  Whereas DOTA 2 is, ultimately, about producing the best team through a smart draft and competitive farm.  Once the laning phase is done, the power difference between the teams can be pretty damn severe.  There's also a serious difference in tone.  CS is faster but more static; you can walk from one end of the level to the other in like 20 seconds; but in the end the guy who's camping a corner with his AWP at head level is going to beat the guy who's trying to run through said corner.  DOTA is slower, but much more dynamic and offensive.  Expect to see games between two teams of wildly differing strategies, and expect to see people trying to set up ganks from pretty much the earliest possible time that it is feasible to do so.  Finally... they're completely different genres with a completely difference control scheme.

The one thing I would say they both share is memorizing tiny, tiny details of an environment.  Because DOTA 2's map has been largely static since before the game even existed, people have memorized all kinds of hiding spots, places where clearing away a given tree will have special effects, places where a given movement ability will carry them over one or two cliffs.  CS's levels have been memorized to the point where people have memorized specific grenade throws that involve multiple wall bounces.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87439 on: October 09, 2015, 03:59:09 pm »

Counter Strike 2D is a top-down shooter, and I'm pretty sure there are more games like that.

Anyway, the reason why I've put Dota 2 as a shooter is because of Counter-Strike. The skill sets required for a professional CS player and professional Dota 2 player are very similar - both require extensive memorization of "item buying", both have a distinctive "early game" period, which both sides exit by acquiring enough money to buy their mid-game loadouts, both have the same focus on team-play, and both has a lot of twitch shooting - literally in case of CS, and by using skills - in case of Dota 2.

...Not really? Superficially, the skillsets may be somewhat similar (being able to react quickly to certain stimuli), but each game require different individual and team mindsets, and very different strategies and some skills  that have no application on the other game. In CSGO, being able to notice an enemy on the other side of the map is pretty useful since you can imediately shoot at him, while in dota you need to be able to predict his movements and take into account the time it will take to engage him, your ability to take him on, his ability to kill you, etc. There are tons of things that, while crucial in one game, are not applicable to the other, the only similarity is that being able to process audiovisual information quickly is an advantage in both games, but thats true for pretty much any game that isn't turn based?

That and the level of twitchy-ness required on each game is very different as well. Top CSGO players react to multiple stimuli in miliseconds, while in dota 2 the player has to react to things while also taking into account what he can do to react to said stimuli, since stuff like cooldown, positioning, range and movespeed are far more important, since they gauge your ability to react to said thigs, while such limits do not exist in CSGO. In short, twitchyness is far more important on CSGO.

EDIT: ninja'd by hats
« Last Edit: October 09, 2015, 04:03:28 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #87440 on: October 09, 2015, 04:43:25 pm »

TF2 is much more fun imo, although snipers just dominate at higher levels, which is pretty sad since something like that is exactly what Valve wanted to avoid when designing the game.
Honestly I've had pretty much the opposite experience; CS actually forces me to think, and when you get killed by utter bullshit it's something you can respect instead of someone with a good item setup*. Also fuck hats.

*Note that I play on no AWP and no AWP/Auto servers primarily because they're the easiest things to abuse and make the game unfun. Though my favorite set of Source servers had a 1 AWP + 1 Auto per team rule that was nice. But yeah, the stealth game that plays out after the scrubs have rushed and died is top-tier shooter action, at least IMO. That, and mowing down four guys with a P90. :V

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87441 on: October 09, 2015, 04:47:14 pm »

At work, they've been doing some kind of roof repair for the past month at least. They're doing a pretty terrible job of it. The noise is unbearable. This morning, I looked up to watch the insulation snowing onto the jackets I've dusted off three times already and noticed that I could see daylight. I point this out to the manager, also pointing out it was supposed to rain later tonight.

Then it starts raining five minutes later. Then it stops. Not enough to do anything more than flood our men's section.

I get home, find my internet bill and my paycheck came in the mail. The bill was already opened. Fortunately, the paycheck wasn't, or I'd be really pissed.

Then my stepdad asks me if I've been "shitting funny". This was apparently due to a batch of salami that he, I, and the creepy guy in the trailer in our yard have all been eating, that has been causing them some gastric issues. Not me, apparently.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #87442 on: October 09, 2015, 04:51:01 pm »

That, and mowing down four guys with a P90. :V
Now I'm remembering that Ster video.

97 IN 8!?!?!?!
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #87443 on: October 09, 2015, 05:06:36 pm »

Honestly I've had pretty much the opposite experience; CS actually forces me to think, and when you get killed by utter bullshit it's something you can respect instead of someone with a good item setup*. Also fuck hats.

*Note that I play on no AWP and no AWP/Auto servers primarily because they're the easiest things to abuse and make the game unfun. Though my favorite set of Source servers had a 1 AWP + 1 Auto per team rule that was nice. But yeah, the stealth game that plays out after the scrubs have rushed and died is top-tier shooter action, at least IMO. That, and mowing down four guys with a P90. :V
Eh, pubs are pubs.
Also, if you're killed by something you can respect it's not utter BS. Also, it's a pub.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #87444 on: October 09, 2015, 05:08:06 pm »

I'm beginning to get the XCOM and North Korea threads mixed up.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #87445 on: October 09, 2015, 06:51:07 pm »

I'm beginning to get the XCOM and North Korea threads mixed up.
Kim Jong SNEKTITS?
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #87446 on: October 09, 2015, 07:36:53 pm »

Eh, pubs are pubs.
Also, if you're killed by something you can respect it's not utter BS. Also, it's a pub.

You say that because you've never been repeatedly headshotted through crates and thin walls by people who aren't using an aimbot or wallhack.  :P

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87447 on: October 09, 2015, 08:17:58 pm »

Steam decided to put Stronghold Kingdoms in my Discovery Queue, after deciding to create a Discovery Queue for me whether I want one or not(I don't, honestly). The reason it's in the queue is because "it is popular". The link for the reviews says "Mostly Positive". I've looked through hundreds(out of 5558), and have yet to find a single positive review.

PRE-EDIT: Okay, so there's a filter for positive reviews(71% are "positive"). Most are either actually negative reviews that the reviewer must have clicked on "recommend", the rest are apparently bots/idiots who put up a copy/paste review.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87448 on: October 09, 2015, 08:20:45 pm »

Steam decided to put Stronghold Kingdoms in my Discovery Queue, after deciding to create a Discovery Queue for me whether I want one or not(I don't, honestly). The reason it's in the queue is because "it is popular". The link for the reviews says "Mostly Positive". I've looked through hundreds(out of 5558), and have yet to find a single positive review.

PRE-EDIT: Okay, so there's a filter for positive reviews(71% are "positive"). Most are either actually negative reviews that the reviewer must have clicked on "recommend", the rest are apparently bots/idiots who put up a copy/paste review.
Buuuuug.
In humanbrain.exe v0.9.
;P
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Rubidium

• Bay Watcher
  • Rubidium has RETURNED
    • View Profile
« Reply #87449 on: October 09, 2015, 08:22:25 pm »

i got 6969 messages in my inbox
Rubidium has RETURNED!
Pages: 1 ... 5828 5829 [5830] 5831 5832 ... 10983