Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5849 5850 [5851] 5852 5853 ... 10984

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13189860 times)

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #87750 on: October 15, 2015, 10:26:24 am »

He kept almost putting out the fire, then wandering away to try something else and letting it get bigger. Dude could have beaten it out with that throw pillow(?) but he just fucking walked off and left it sitting on top of the fire instead. No urgency whatsoever through the whole thing either.

Utterly baffling.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #87751 on: October 15, 2015, 10:31:33 am »

And yet, when an alcoholic has made a mess of their body and life because of their problem, you don't see people springing to defend their behavior as perfectly natural, wholly out of their control, or even trying to rebrand them as the ideal.
... except you do? We've seen people defend that behavior and note it as desirable on this very forum, and people excusing alcoholism or playing up the behaviors that lead to and maintain it are so culturally normal in a lot of places you get looked at funny when you don't indulge in them at least occasionally. There's also a significant amount of rhetoric related to alcoholism treatment that refers to the affliction as a disease and does, indeed, use reduction of self-control, sometimes to the extremis (which is where hospitalization and extended detox comes in), as a talking point. And a lot of heavy drinkers cheerfully defend their lifestyle as an ideal to be sought, even in the face of it wrecking the hell out of their existence.

So, uh. Yeah.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87752 on: October 15, 2015, 10:37:49 am »

How to not put out a fire you have accidentaly started.
I think his first mistake may have been trying to put it out with a cardboard box.  Ok well maybe the second, first being having so much flammable stuff in the room in the first place while doing something that involves fire and then not having like a gallon jug of water on hand in case things go wrong.

Not trying to get on him too much for what happened during the fire, since it's easy to go from rational thought to adrenaline fueled panic in such a situation but that looks like a possible case of failure to prepare.   I sure as hell wouldn't be messing with fire in my room, and it looks somewhat similar.

EDIT: Anyway yes, I do hope everything turns out alright for him and that he has insurance.  That is pretty much video evidence of it being an accident, though the insurance company may have the same thoughts as me.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 10:42:07 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87753 on: October 15, 2015, 10:41:48 am »

google 'chrome' on yahoo [..] bing]
you mean search, right?

google is a company
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #87754 on: October 15, 2015, 10:42:47 am »

google 'chrome' on yahoo [..] bing]
you mean search, right?

google is a company
google is also a verb.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87755 on: October 15, 2015, 10:43:19 am »

The first mistake is when he throws what apparently is a permanent match (according to comments anyway) into a plastic sack shock full of flammable garbage, causing it to light on fire real fast, then grabs the flaming sack and drops it on the floor near a wall, to where the fire inevitably spreads to since he apparently things putting it out with cardboard boxes is a good idea. Then the fire gets too big for him to put it our using the pillow.
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87756 on: October 15, 2015, 10:47:37 am »

The first mistake is when he throws what apparently is a permanent match (according to comments anyway) into a plastic sack shock full of flammable garbage, causing it to light on fire real fast, then grabs the flaming sack and drops it on the floor near a wall, to where the fire inevitably spreads to since he apparently things putting it out with cardboard boxes is a good idea. Then the fire gets too big for him to put it our using the pillow.
The first mistake is not having a fire extinguisher :l
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #87757 on: October 15, 2015, 10:51:09 am »

Meanwhile, jpgs threaten to become worse than they already are compared to pngs.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

SimRobert2001

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87758 on: October 15, 2015, 11:02:12 am »

Meanwhile, jpgs threaten to become worse than they already are compared to pngs.

Whats so bad about jpeg now?

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #87759 on: October 15, 2015, 11:08:59 am »

It degrades image quality on every save. Its only virtue is compression, and PNGs offer plenty of that for most use cases. About the only time a jpg is worth using is with high-resolution photography that you expect to wind up being downscaled anyway before being used properly, or at least that's my understanding.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #87760 on: October 15, 2015, 11:23:28 am »

Eh, all it does is perform a DCT transform on the image and weight the frequencies based on what the human eye is more sensitive to. That's the part which makes the compression lossy, which AFAIK can be overriden by choosing 100% quality. After that, it performs a lossless compression. Huffman encoding, IIRC.

So, the benefit of JPEG is compressing images with a large range of colors, such as photos.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 11:25:32 am by da_nang »
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87761 on: October 15, 2015, 11:29:17 am »

Apparently, yesterday there was a serious injury at my dad's workplace.

A guy was moving some electronics around. He bent over to lift something, and hit the back of his head off of a handrail as he stood back up, splitting it open. Then he fell unconscious, falling on his face and shattering his forehead, cracking that open as well. He had to be rushed to intensive care.

Terrifying to think about how little it took for that to happen.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #87762 on: October 15, 2015, 11:29:49 am »

And yet, when an alcoholic has made a mess of their body and life because of their problem, you don't see people springing to defend their behavior as perfectly natural, wholly out of their control, or even trying to rebrand them as the ideal.
... except you do? We've seen people defend that behavior and note it as desirable on this very forum, and people excusing alcoholism or playing up the behaviors that lead to and maintain it are so culturally normal in a lot of places you get looked at funny when you don't indulge in them at least occasionally. There's also a significant amount of rhetoric related to alcoholism treatment that refers to the affliction as a disease and does, indeed, use reduction of self-control, sometimes to the extremis (which is where hospitalization and extended detox comes in), as a talking point. And a lot of heavy drinkers cheerfully defend their lifestyle as an ideal to be sought, even in the face of it wrecking the hell out of their existence.

So, uh. Yeah.
Fair enough.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87763 on: October 15, 2015, 11:33:37 am »

I've never seen anyone seriously defending alcoholism in the DF forums, personally, did I miss something :v?
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #87764 on: October 15, 2015, 11:35:13 am »

Reeeasonably close.Depends on the definition of alcoholism. Obviously, taking huge quantities of ethanol into your body has varying effects depending on frequency.
One wheel short of a wagon
Pages: 1 ... 5849 5850 [5851] 5852 5853 ... 10984