Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5860 5861 [5862] 5863 5864 ... 10992

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13510772 times)

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #87915 on: October 17, 2015, 08:31:57 am »

Lots of, perhaps too many people talking about it to hold in a single thread? Though I haven't played it.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #87916 on: October 17, 2015, 08:42:25 am »

Bloody hell, sites like JSTOR have to be the least user friendly ones I've ever seen. I mean, I get they're designed by scholars, but really.
They are not. JSTOR's actually fairly friendly compared to some things I've seen, at least back when I was using it. Mostly job search websites, followed by a lot of news sites et al (though the latter mostly because they're so cluttered with shit they both drag down your computer and are functionally unnavigable). There's this lovely one I've been dealing with a little lately (due to something like a quarter or more of jobs in this area forcing applicants to apply through the site. Why? Because fuck you, that's why.) that makes it basically impossible to have two instances of the site up at once, i.e. you can't open up two listings at the same time. It is quiet near the absolute worst design choice I have ever seen in a website. There's a few situations where that's excusable (mostly involving games and the occasional official test or whatnot), but a site that's primarily about job listings is something like the ur-example of one where it's not.

Yeah, JSTOR ain't bad, even in comparison to some other databases. The main problem with it is that it makes you click through shit to get to the advanced search options if you're not familiar with search operators.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #87917 on: October 17, 2015, 08:44:06 am »

Masterwork does have a ASCII tileset. At least, the version I have (which I think is the latest one) does. And I think masterwork is popular because although it adds a lot of stuff it's still very dwarf fortress, at least when you start playing it's almost exactly like dwarf fortress. Abet, a severely out of date dwarf fortress. It just adds layers on top you can get too later. Combine that with a lot of usability enchantments and a claim of higher fps, it seems like a natural starting place for someone interested in mods, and since it has depth to get into later (presumably, I've never played it, but I've read the manuals) there's not a lot of reason to stop playing it for other mods.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #87918 on: October 17, 2015, 09:21:55 am »

Bloody hell, sites like JSTOR have to be the least user friendly ones I've ever seen. I mean, I get they're designed by scholars, but really.
They are not. JSTOR's actually fairly friendly compared to some things I've seen, at least back when I was using it. Mostly job search websites, followed by a lot of news sites et al (though the latter mostly because they're so cluttered with shit they both drag down your computer and are functionally unnavigable). There's this lovely one I've been dealing with a little lately (due to something like a quarter or more of jobs in this area forcing applicants to apply through the site. Why? Because fuck you, that's why.) that makes it basically impossible to have two instances of the site up at once, i.e. you can't open up two listings at the same time. It is quiet near the absolute worst design choice I have ever seen in a website. There's a few situations where that's excusable (mostly involving games and the occasional official test or whatnot), but a site that's primarily about job listings is something like the ur-example of one where it's not.

Yeah, JSTOR ain't bad, even in comparison to some other databases. The main problem with it is that it makes you click through shit to get to the advanced search options if you're not familiar with search operators.
Well, I'm not really bothered by the lack of user-friendliness, or whatever you'd call it. If you ask me, the worst thing about JSTOR or any similar non-open database is the shitlord-tier paywall that shouldn't be there in the first place...

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87919 on: October 17, 2015, 09:30:51 am »

Well, I'm not really bothered by the lack of user-friendliness, or whatever you'd call it. If you ask me, the worst thing about JSTOR or any similar non-open database is the shitlord-tier paywall that shouldn't be there in the first place...
Agreed.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #87920 on: October 17, 2015, 10:38:57 am »

I mean, that sort of goes without saying.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87921 on: October 17, 2015, 12:25:52 pm »

I dunno, I'm kinda with Putnam on this one. It makes sense that Masterwork would attract a bit more attention since it's so much bigger than all the rest, but with it taking up so much of the "first impressions" market people who make other mods see their small thing that they released has very little interest and never add onto it, no matter how good the concept is. I quite like some of those little mods, and plug them where it makes sense, but they don't get the attention they deserve.

I kinda want to try to make one myself and just make it gigantic out of the gate. I even have a planning document partially written up, but I simply don't have the time to figure out how the finer points work and fiddle with numbers until they work as intended.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #87922 on: October 17, 2015, 12:36:35 pm »

I'd love something as large as masterwork, but with no offense the to creators, it does seem a bit garishly high-fantasy for my taste, though I only found this from reading the decriptions, as I haven't had time to play this, what with low FPS and me liking to play DF in a rather specific mindset. Is it particularly imgainative, is somtheing I'd like to know, does it have its own aesthetic, or is it a slightly bland D&D-like bigger-DF?
One wheel short of a wagon

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #87923 on: October 17, 2015, 12:40:54 pm »

You can turn things off, but it's really just a matter of throwing features onto the pile if someone can figure out how to make it work. It's poorly documented too, so actually figuring out how to use certain things is a matter of posting on the forums and maybe getting an answer from the creator about it because the manual didn't contain the information. If I remember right the DF2014 port tries to address those problems but it isn't very far along.

Edit: that makes it sound worse than it is. Most things are fairly intuitive, it's just the more advanced features that end up like that.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2015, 12:50:02 pm by Baffler »
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #87924 on: October 17, 2015, 01:37:54 pm »

some things are in the manual. its just a bit pesky to find sometimes?

ex. machine safety section? where?....oh it meant in the gnomes tip page.

there is a bit more high fantasy but the masterwork application that manages everything has lots of on/off switches. so you get to control what things are like.

don't want gnomes with lightning guns? turn off gnomes.

don't want to have to fight lust demons that are also babysnatchers and can have powers. and can bring a bunch of corrupted races that have there own benefits. turn those off to.

want the demons to trade you there exotic weaponry? change them from slavers to civilized. (or whatever fraction your playing as)

wana play as them? set them to be a fort playable race.

want the entire world to hate you? change every single civ to a fraction against you. 

you could have demons working with kobolds and elves.
you could make elves automatically hostile.
you could make automated factories and tame wildlife just by talking to it(gnomes)
summon demons and steal souls (demons)
steal things (kobolds)
raise an army of skeletons and other stuff (warlocks)

-disclaimer. as far as masterwork goes I have only played as demons, and gnomes up to this point (and maybe dwarves but I forget)
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #87925 on: October 17, 2015, 01:40:01 pm »

My best friend found half of a Urza's Legacy pro box in his closet.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #87926 on: October 17, 2015, 02:08:10 pm »

>SNIP
I'm no Putnam, but I can mod well enough to rearrange factions, how does Masterwork make this easier? I know it adds in new factions and features, ofc.
One wheel short of a wagon

endlessblaze

• Bay Watcher
  • likes dragons for their fiery breath
    • View Profile
« Reply #87927 on: October 17, 2015, 02:12:00 pm »

you can do that. but you have to look through the text files. masterwork has a gui that does all this for you. you can also do things like adjust the strength of the materials they attack with, how they attack, when they attack. it makes all this ALOT quicker. and you don't have to worry so much about accidently leavening out a bracket.
Kids make great meat shields.
I nominate endlessblaze as our chief military executive!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #87928 on: October 17, 2015, 02:22:45 pm »

... accidently leavening out a bracket.

I dunno about you, but I've never had to worry about yeast infections in my brackets. :P
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Bouchart

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO_WORK]
    • View Profile
« Reply #87929 on: October 17, 2015, 02:26:22 pm »

My best friend found half of a Urza's Legacy pro box in his closet.

Which half?  The half with broken cards are the half with merely powerful cards?
Pages: 1 ... 5860 5861 [5862] 5863 5864 ... 10992