Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5916 5917 [5918] 5919 5920 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13189502 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #88755 on: October 28, 2015, 06:04:38 pm »

Hmmm

Why is the scientific definition of insanity "Doing the same thing twice and expecting a different result" when ALL the scientific method is... is doing it a bazillion times to see if there are different results?

It makes me think that isn't the "scientific definition" but rather some guy, who may or may not have been a scientist, who tried to define it... and people thought he was pretty smart so it caught on... Even though it makes absolutely no sense.

I mean I kind of fell for it at first. After all "emotions" and "motivations" are sort of 'outside of science' so it is basically trying to find a purely mechanical, purely objective, way to define something that is almost entirely subjective and metaphysical. Yet the more I thought about it the less it made sense, the more the definition itself became insane.

Which actually might be the irony. The idea that doing the same thing will 'always' result in the same outcome... Is a crazy notion. It is that disconnect between what you think and the reality of the situation that is insanity itself.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88756 on: October 28, 2015, 06:07:55 pm »

Heh yeah I think it's mostly just catchy.  I don't remember "scientific" being in the phrase and, as you point out, it isn't accurate.

Real insanity takes a variety of very distinct forms, as we now know.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88757 on: October 28, 2015, 06:12:06 pm »

The scientific defintion of insanity is not repeating the same action and expecting a different result, no matter what a snappy quote from media might say, Neo.

Probably a closer "scientific" definition of insanity is "The state of being seriosuly mentally ill".
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #88758 on: October 28, 2015, 06:12:32 pm »

Why is the scientific definition of insanity "Doing the same thing twice and expecting a different result" when ALL the scientific method is... is doing it a bazillion times to see if there are different results?
I'm going to be honest, but the only time I've ever heard that "definition" is as the lead up or punchline to a joke. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #88759 on: October 28, 2015, 06:14:02 pm »

I'm going to be honest, but the only time I've ever heard that "definition" is as the lead up or punchline to a joke. :P
For example, it is impossible to use Ubuntu reliably on my desktop without being insane, because you have to turn it on and off until it miraculously works.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88760 on: October 28, 2015, 06:14:48 pm »

I somehow managed to confuse 6:00 PM and AM.
Yup, much tired.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #88761 on: October 28, 2015, 06:20:33 pm »

A double WTF: US police officer fired for throwing a high-school student across the room.

WTF in that it happened, WTF that a/the (I don't know how these things work) sheriff said "I wouldn't describe him as remorseful, but he is sorry it happened." Evidently he needs to look up what "remorseful" actually means...
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88762 on: October 28, 2015, 06:23:47 pm »

Neo, this is another great example of something you coulda googled and went "Oh. That's just something some jackass thought up one day. Das coo'." :P

I say this with all love and affection.
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #88763 on: October 28, 2015, 06:42:23 pm »

Okay, this is beginning to annoy me. Switched over to Palemoon just to see if it was Firefox being shit, but nope, same problem here. If I open google in a new tab, the search bar doesn't work. I'd try to test it in Microsoft Edge but I uninstalled that shit a while back.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88764 on: October 28, 2015, 06:46:14 pm »

Neo, this is another great example of something you coulda googled and went "Oh. That's just something some jackass thought up one day. Das coo'." :P

I checked and the result was "No one really knows where it came from and it has been falsely attributed to a lot of people"

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #88765 on: October 28, 2015, 06:53:26 pm »

Which means it was some jackass. :P
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88766 on: October 28, 2015, 06:59:49 pm »

Another classic one is "scientists say you only use 10% of your brain". Unnamed "scientists" is usually a red flag. Who said this, and when? And what study or research did they do. There's basically no source for this, scientific or otherwise, and no research behind it, either rigorous or anecdotal.
http://www.snopes.com/science/stats/10percent.asp
That tired Ten-Percent claim pops up all the time. In 1998, national magazine ads for U.S. Satellite Broadcasting showed a drawing of a brain. Under it was the caption, "You only use 11 percent of its potential." Well, they're a little closer than the ten-percent figure, but still off by about 89 percent. In July 1998, ABC television ran promotional spots for The Secret Lives of Men, one of their offerings for the fall season's lineup. The spot featured a full-screen blurb that read, "Men only use ten percent of their brains."
^ this is supposedly sexist against men, but it's actually inadvertently sexist against women. If men only use 10% of their brain, and women use 100%, then why are most top mathematicians and physicists men? Men are only coasting along on 10% after all xD

Another example is the 100 monkeys effect. The theory is that Japanese "scientists" (who? when?) discovered that once 100 monkeys discover something, the concept becomes embedded in the universal unconscious and all monkeys can do it. I've met actual people who believe in this for real.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hundredth_monkey_effect
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 07:03:39 pm by Reelya »

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #88767 on: October 28, 2015, 07:03:39 pm »

Thanks for links.
I'll admit that I was part of today's lucky ten thousand.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #88768 on: October 28, 2015, 07:35:32 pm »

Scientists say you guys should give me all your money.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #88769 on: October 28, 2015, 07:41:47 pm »

I'm a scientist* and I say you shouldn't eat turnips because they elevate your risk of inadvertently consuming live bacteria.

You should also give me your money.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.
Pages: 1 ... 5916 5917 [5918] 5919 5920 ... 10983