Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5977 5978 [5979] 5980 5981 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13184701 times)

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #89670 on: November 10, 2015, 11:15:58 am »

Number of carbon 12 atoms in 12g. That'd be the same with any system of mass.
Or that.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #89671 on: November 10, 2015, 11:17:01 am »

WTF is up with Avogadro's Number? Why don't they just round it up to one octillion? Why did they choose this weird arbitrary number to count atoms and molecules in groups of?
Well, it started out as the number of atoms of Hydrogen in a gram of Hydrogen, which is reasonable enough. Then it got adjusted to the number of atoms of carbon-12 in 12 grams of carbon, which is slightly different due to the slight difference in mass of neutrons, and then apparently it was generalized somehow?

I guess it does ultimately come down to water, though, since the gram was original defined in terms of water.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #89672 on: November 10, 2015, 11:18:56 am »

Yeah the number is defined in such a way that the relative atomic weight of an element = the weight in kg of a mole of that element. Which is pretty convenient.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #89673 on: November 10, 2015, 11:20:27 am »

They really missed the mark with that one when they didn't base it off of avocados.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #89674 on: November 10, 2015, 11:23:25 am »

Scientific constants generally don't make much sense. It's just the way things are, and you can't really 'just round it off' or you'll have to either adjust everything else to no longer make sense historically or deal with screwing everything else up.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #89675 on: November 10, 2015, 11:36:56 am »

Scientific constants generally don't make much sense. It's just the way things are, and you can't really 'just round it off' or you'll have to either adjust everything else to no longer make sense historically or deal with screwing everything else up.
If energy cannot be created or destroyed how did anything in the Universe come to be
3deep5me

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89676 on: November 10, 2015, 11:51:35 am »

Jesus did it. Maybe if you didn't love sinning so much it would be self-evident.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #89677 on: November 10, 2015, 11:52:50 am »

If energy cannot be created or destroyed how did anything in the Universe come to be
3deep5me
#SeriousResponsesToJokes

That's one of those rules that seems totally true, but when you get to the higher levels they are like, "Well, technically it can't be created or destroyed, but since mass and energy are the same thing, you can take a huge amount of energy can convert it to a small amount of mass, or take a small amount of mass and convert it to a large amount of energy." Thus lots of energy in the big bang -> small amounts of mass in the universe. :P
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #89678 on: November 10, 2015, 12:03:08 pm »

Also, you could create energy and mass, if you could make quantum, but larger.
One wheel short of a wagon

Il Palazzo

• Bay Watcher
  • And lo, the Dude did abide. And it was good.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89679 on: November 10, 2015, 12:12:02 pm »

WTF is up with Avogadro's Number? Why don't they just round it up to one octillion? Why did they choose this weird arbitrary number to count atoms and molecules in groups of?
It's not arbitrary, and it can't be changed to some (actually arbitrary) number, because it's a conversion factor between two specific systems of measuring mass. Just as there are 0.45-something kg in a pound, there are NA units of atomic mass in a gram.

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #89680 on: November 10, 2015, 12:15:48 pm »

I just wanna know how the hell they figured the number out.

GiglameshDespair

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware! Once I have posted, your thread is doomed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #89681 on: November 10, 2015, 12:21:24 pm »

I believe it was first worked out by coulometry.
You fool. Don't you understand?
No one wishes to go on...

ggamer

• Bay Watcher
  • Reach Heaven through Violence
    • View Profile
« Reply #89682 on: November 10, 2015, 12:31:01 pm »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #89683 on: November 10, 2015, 12:31:39 pm »

I believe it was first worked out by coulometry.
It was actually first worked out by some estimates while looking at the kinetic motions of gas and brownian motion (by Josef Loschmidt and later Jean Baptiste Perrin). But yeah, since then we've used many different methods to estimate more precise values of the number, ranging from actually measuring the charge on an individual electron to "count" the electrons, to weighing an ultra pure sample of a material and then using the crystal structure density to estimate the number of individual atoms.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Dutrius

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer extremely unavailable!
    • View Profile
    • Arcanus Technica
« Reply #89684 on: November 10, 2015, 12:42:21 pm »

3deep5me
#SeriousResponsesToJokes

That's one of those rules that seems totally true, but when you get to the higher levels they are like, "Well, technically it can't be created or destroyed, but since mass and energy are the same thing, you can take a huge amount of energy can convert it to a small amount of mass, or take a small amount of mass and convert it to a large amount of energy." Thus lots of energy in the big bang -> small amounts of mass in the universe. :P

Doesn't explain the apparent lack of antimatter though.
No longer extremely unavailable!
Sig text
ArcTech: Incursus. On hold indefinitely.
Pages: 1 ... 5977 5978 [5979] 5980 5981 ... 10983