Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5981 5982 [5983] 5984 5985 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13184961 times)

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #89731 on: November 10, 2015, 10:43:48 pm »

What is wrong with the Republican Party.
Southern strategy.
._.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #89732 on: November 10, 2015, 10:49:14 pm »

Just had the most unexpectedly poignant moment I've experienced in a video game in... years, probably. Completely unintentional on the part of the game's designers, but... still. Story is I accidentally picked up a tiny toy boat right at the start of the game -- it's worth nothing, can't be sold, can't be broke down, etc., etc., it's just useless prop-junk, so far as I've been able to tell (in fact, the moment in question is what pretty much verified that) -- that I had been carrying around mostly just 'cause, but partially thinking it was a unique item that held some kind of later import.

Anyway, hours, a few bosses, several dozen things murdered, towns looted, etc., etc., later I'm ransacking a temple full of miscellaneous junk, that probably had everyone in it murdered at some point but is currently empty, and I come across a room. In the room is nothing particularly valuable -- light source I'm not bothering to steal, some beer that's not worth carrying, a mug -- but in the corner... is another tiny toy boat. I look at it, think for a moment, and then set the other toy boat I've been carrying down on the table in the room and then... just kinda' stop for a minute. Looking at it.

Here's this group of inadvertent adventurers, ripped along with the land around them out of their homeland into a floating conglomerate of death, filled with things that want to kill them and a rare few non-hostile people, most of them not even able to speak the same language. The nominal leader, a literally faceless warrior that's been wading through blood and devastation for the last (by their perspective) few weeks, has been carrying this tiny toy boat, trinket, comfort, memory of what was lost... who really knows. But he's been carrying it for weeks, through what's probably the most trying time of his life.

And he sees another, leftover affection in some dead person's office, probably the first sign of actual happiness he's seen since his and his friends lives were thrust into hell. And just, I'unno, stops. Hurting? Whatever counts for crying for his species? Is he happy? Laughing? A small bit of lifted spirit at another -- the only other one he's yet seen -- memory of better times? Who knows.

But he stops, his teammates silent, watching. Reaches into his pack. Takes out the toy boat -- you can see it. Whatever's happening to him, his hands are shaking, posture somewhere between reverent and broken. He sets the boat down. Stares. Looks from boat to boat. This is the closest he's came to just stopping this entire damned struggle, almost finally brought down by a simple toy boat in the corner of some room in an empty, massacred temple.*

And then he reaches back down, hands firm once more. Picks up the little toy, sets it back in his pack, readies his axe, and walks out the room, friends trailing behind.

Spoiler: It looked like this (click to show/hide)
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #89733 on: November 10, 2015, 11:46:48 pm »

Those sorts of moments really are the best, yeah. Sometimes get that, playing dwarf fortress.

So my coworker said the "british accent" I get when I'm stressed out, angry, or whatever, is adorable.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 12:04:54 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89734 on: November 11, 2015, 01:01:35 am »

You know if I like one thing about some videogame horror series it is that...

Most horror movies now are about who survives out of the bunch. They just pick off protagonist after protagonist.

Yet a most horror games are about who you can save and how. In fact there are a few I can think of where you can save pretty much everyone (Including one "Dead Rising" where you can save an absolutely ridiculous amount of people to the point where they have to clown car into a helicopter).

I don't understand the idea that in order for something to be tense then everyone needs to die. If anything I often feel more tense the MORE survivors there are because there is just so much that can go wrong.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #89735 on: November 11, 2015, 01:34:42 am »

NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #89736 on: November 11, 2015, 02:01:32 am »

I was thinking more alongside "change the system of measurements where speed of light equals 1" and so on...
See the thing is that we do do this, and that's why the measurements are so funky. :P In this case our '1' unit for avogadro's number are the kilogram and the atom, thus resulting in the current value for avogadro's.
Ok

According to the wikipedia article for Atomic mass unit it's actually based on the gram and the weight of a nucleon, which makes a hell of a lot more sense than any other explanation than any other explanation I've encountered for it.

Although that still leaves us with the matter which has already been brought up of the gram ultimately being an arbitrary unit. It would be so much easier if they simply redefined the gram as - or abanded the gram for a new unit defined as - exactly 10^24 daltons
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89737 on: November 11, 2015, 02:47:25 am »

http://www.npr.org/2015/11/10/455532242/analysis-at-the-university-of-missouri-an-unlearned-free-speech-lesson

what the hell is even going on here?
Not understanding the idea of a public space?
Framing things they don't like as harassment?
Wanting to control the entire conversation?
Blowing up at people who aren't even white and then claiming to be striking out against racism?

Sounds like typical SJW shit to me.
Speaking of which... http://www.theatlantic.com/politics/archive/2015/11/the-new-intolerance-of-student-activism-at-yale/414810/
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/10/us/university-missouri-protesters-block-journalists-press-freedom.html
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89738 on: November 11, 2015, 02:49:11 am »

People have been all over natural units, you can just look at the various versions:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Natural_units

Planck units is probably the one you want, but it's not necessarily compatible with other "best" units.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #89739 on: November 11, 2015, 03:03:36 am »

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/10/us/university-missouri-protesters-block-journalists-press-freedom.html
"The first amendment protects your right to be here and mine." ~ the journalist.

As pithy as that is... its not true.  Journalists have no extra protections when it comes to gathering information.  The government isn't allowed to stop you from publishing information once you have it, but anyone can show you the door if you trespass or otherwise break the law gathering said information.

Of course it wasn't private property, so ordinary citizens trying to use force to remove him would be a (fairly minor) crime.  But not because of the first amendment, just because that's a crime normally.  Kind of embarrassing that a journalist of all people doesn't understand how freedom of speech works.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89740 on: November 11, 2015, 03:05:45 am »

And even then people are starting to reconsider certain aspects of the first amendment so it is no longer a "Right to harass people" anymore.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89741 on: November 11, 2015, 03:14:31 am »

"The first amendment protects your right to be here and mine." ~ the journalist.

As pithy as that is... its not true.  Journalists have no extra protections when it comes to gathering information.  The government isn't allowed to stop you from publishing information once you have it, but anyone can show you the door if you trespass or otherwise break the law gathering said information.

Of course it wasn't private property, so ordinary citizens trying to use force to remove him would be a (fairly minor) crime.  But not because of the first amendment, just because that's a crime normally.  Kind of embarrassing that a journalist of all people doesn't understand how freedom of speech works.
It can be argued to be a First Amendment violation that staff at a state university were attempting to silence the media in a public space with physical force. Regardless, the actions of these people were totally unacceptable and potentially criminal.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 03:17:55 am by Morrigi »
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89742 on: November 11, 2015, 03:37:37 am »

Whelp... I always thought Danse was a made up name Jem and the Holograms used to essentially have a character named Dance (she was a dancer)

But it turns out Danse is a real name.

Reelya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89743 on: November 11, 2015, 04:06:40 am »

What is alarming is that from what I hear, modern college campuses are becoming some of the most intolerant places of freedom of speech in general.

Yeah, but it is definitely questionable when a professor of media studies is trying to suppress reporters.

Overall the idea that because you represent a specific cause you have the right to comandeer public space for your own purposes and then barricade it against other people going about their normal business is also outright disgusting because you know for a fact that they'd never agree to let anyone else pull that shit. If some right-wing group commadeered the quad and said it's restricted for their group's use only, the same people would be screaming how unjust it all was and tearing the place down. They certainly wouldn't be simply coming in there as journalists, you can bet that.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 04:21:53 am by Reelya »

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #89744 on: November 11, 2015, 04:17:11 am »

It can be argued to be a First Amendment violation that staff at a state university were attempting to silence the media in a public space with physical force.
No... no it couldn't.  Again, taking pictures isn't a form of expression.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule
Pages: 1 ... 5981 5982 [5983] 5984 5985 ... 10983