Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5982 5983 [5984] 5985 5986 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13184183 times)

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #89745 on: November 11, 2015, 04:20:09 am »

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/10/us/university-missouri-protesters-block-journalists-press-freedom.html
"The first amendment protects your right to be here and mine." ~ the journalist.

As pithy as that is... its not true.  Journalists have no extra protections when it comes to gathering information.  The government isn't allowed to stop you from publishing information once you have it, but anyone can show you the door if you trespass or otherwise break the law gathering said information.

Of course it wasn't private property, so ordinary citizens trying to use force to remove him would be a (fairly minor) crime.  But not because of the first amendment, just because that's a crime normally.  Kind of embarrassing that a journalist of all people doesn't understand how freedom of speech works.
It can be argued to be a First Amendment violation that staff at a state university were attempting to silence the media in a public space with physical force.
No... no it couldn't.  Again, taking pictures isn't a form of expression.
State employees preventing the press from reporting on an issue in public is a First Amendment issue.
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #89746 on: November 11, 2015, 04:48:26 am »

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/11/10/us/university-missouri-protesters-block-journalists-press-freedom.html
"The first amendment protects your right to be here and mine." ~ the journalist.

As pithy as that is... its not true.  Journalists have no extra protections when it comes to gathering information.  The government isn't allowed to stop you from publishing information once you have it, but anyone can show you the door if you trespass or otherwise break the law gathering said information.

Of course it wasn't private property, so ordinary citizens trying to use force to remove him would be a (fairly minor) crime.  But not because of the first amendment, just because that's a crime normally.  Kind of embarrassing that a journalist of all people doesn't understand how freedom of speech works.
It can be argued to be a First Amendment violation that staff at a state university were attempting to silence the media in a public space with physical force.
State employees preventing the press from reporting on an issue in public is a First Amendment issue.
No it isn't.  And there's no such thing as a "first amendment issue", its a violation or it isn't.

First of all, these aren't active duty cops we're talking about here.  State schools are already fairly independent from the rest of the government in practice, these are low level employees, and they were off the job when this happened.  Furthermore, they never claimed to have any legal authority, nor did they make their position relevant in any way.  To treat them as representatives of the government here would be stretching the spirit of the law past its breaking point.

Second of all... the first amendment doesn't protect journalists who are taking pictures.  It, in fact, doesn't protect ANYONE who is taking pictures, because that is not speech.  I don't know why I have to keep repeating this.  A journalist isn't entitled to get quotes, they aren't entitled to get an interview, they aren't entitled to pictures or video or soundbites or anything.  That's not what freedom of the press means; it means that once they have those things, the government can't stop them from publishing them.  Now, stopping them from getting those things can be (and in this case, is) a crime.  But for reasons that have nothing to do with the first amendment.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89747 on: November 11, 2015, 05:58:49 am »

No it isn't.  And there's no such thing as a "first amendment issue", its a violation or it isn't.

First of all, these aren't active duty cops we're talking about here.  State schools are already fairly independent from the rest of the government in practice, these are low level employees, and they were off the job when this happened.  Furthermore, they never claimed to have any legal authority, nor did they make their position relevant in any way.  To treat them as representatives of the government here would be stretching the spirit of the law past its breaking point.

Second of all... the first amendment doesn't protect journalists who are taking pictures.  It, in fact, doesn't protect ANYONE who is taking pictures, because that is not speech.  I don't know why I have to keep repeating this.  A journalist isn't entitled to get quotes, they aren't entitled to get an interview, they aren't entitled to pictures or video or soundbites or anything.  That's not what freedom of the press means; it means that once they have those things, the government can't stop them from publishing them.  Now, stopping them from getting those things can be (and in this case, is) a crime.  But for reasons that have nothing to do with the first amendment.
That is absolutely false. There is very clear precedent that communicative photography in public spaces is protected by the 1st Amendment.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 06:07:24 am by Morrigi »
Cthulhu 2016! No lives matter! No more years! Awaken that which slumbers in the deep!

Akura

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89748 on: November 11, 2015, 06:04:48 am »

Quote from: What if forbidden in Newegg's comment policy
Criticism of Newegg.com's service or the service of our operations partners. (FedEx, UPS, Paypal, etc.)

Seriously? I have every right to criticize them, especially the way they delivered my order.
They asked me how well I understood theoretical physics. I told them I had a theoretical degree in physics. They said welcome aboard.
... Yes, the hugs are for everyone.  No stabbing, though.  Just hugs.

IcyTea31

• Bay Watcher
  • Studying functions and fiction
    • View Profile
« Reply #89749 on: November 11, 2015, 06:09:48 am »

What's the point of a comment section if users aren't allowed to speak their mind there?
There is a world yet only seen by physicists and magicians.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89750 on: November 11, 2015, 06:17:02 am »

Exactly. Oh well, I posted it on reddit because why the hell not.

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #89751 on: November 11, 2015, 06:41:00 am »

What's the point of a comment section if users aren't allowed to speak their mind there?

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)
REASON GIVEN: INCITEMENT OF DANGEROUS IDEAS

Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Sergarr

• Bay Watcher
  • (9) airheaded baka (9)
    • View Profile
« Reply #89752 on: November 11, 2015, 07:35:36 am »

Went on an excursion to T-10 today.

I don't think I've ever seen so many cables in one place before. Lots of old ELT monitors, too.

Also apparently our army has a lot of demand for (monocrystalic?) small pure molybdenum glasses (mirrors?), making the scientists wait for their larger versions. Wonder why.
._.

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile
« Reply #89753 on: November 11, 2015, 10:42:34 am »

-snip-
The First Amendment's protections are broader than speech. Freedom of Assembly is also guaranteed. Now, it's possible that you're understanding the claim to be "You can't remove me from this spot because of the First Amendment", but it seems a lot more sensible to interpret it as "You can't possibly have authority to remove me, because the same rule that forbids the only possible authority over this spot from removing you also forbids them from removing me." And, of course, it's worth noting that there were a number of school officials participating in the protest, and if any of them were doing so in their capacity as employees of a publicly-funded university, government action makes the First Amendment directly relevant instead of being a tangential sort of thing.

I just wouldn't be so quick to assume they don't know what they're talking about.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Arx

• Bay Watcher
  • Iron within, iron without.
    • View Profile
    • Art!
« Reply #89754 on: November 11, 2015, 10:46:25 am »

For reference, communicative photography is definitely protected.

It's not protected if you're taing pictures just because you can, though.

I am on Discord as Arx#2415.
Hail to the mind of man! / Fire in the sky
I've been waiting for you / On this day we die.

Tack

• Bay Watcher
  • Giving nothing to a community who gave me so much.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89755 on: November 11, 2015, 11:26:00 am »

Quote from: What if forbidden in Newegg's comment policy
Criticism of Newegg.com's service or the service of our operations partners. (FedEx, UPS, Paypal, etc.)

Seriously? I have every right to criticize them, especially the way they delivered my order.
Maybe they have trouble justifying it in the advertising budget if people are allowed to say bad things?

Have had little dodgies like that before- one of the companies got all of us to upvote "promotional reviews" so that the negative ones wouldn't show.
Sentience, Endurance, and Thumbs: The Trifector of a Superpredator.
Yeah, he's a banned spammer. Normally we'd delete this thread too, but people were having too much fun with it by the time we got here.

Baffler

• Bay Watcher
  • Caveat Lector.
    • View Profile
« Reply #89756 on: November 11, 2015, 11:43:45 am »

Went on an excursion to T-10 today.

I don't think I've ever seen so many cables in one place before. Lots of old ELT monitors, too.

Also apparently our army has a lot of demand for (monocrystalic?) small pure molybdenum glasses (mirrors?), making the scientists wait for their larger versions. Wonder why.

Lenses made from molybdenum are used in a lot of laser-related applications, maybe that's it.
Quote from: Helgoland
Even if you found a suitable opening, I doubt it would prove all too satisfying. And it might leave some nasty wounds, depending on the moral high ground's geology.
Location subject to periodic change.
Baffler likes silver, walnut trees, the color green, tanzanite, and dogs for their loyalty. When possible he prefers to consume beef, iced tea, and cornbread. He absolutely detests ticks.

Morrigi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #89757 on: November 11, 2015, 03:01:24 pm »

So, the fuckwit professor involved in the University of Missouri scandal just posted this on twitter. Jesus Christ.

hops

• Bay Watcher
  • Secretary of Antifa
    • View Profile
« Reply #89758 on: November 11, 2015, 03:03:44 pm »

So, the fuckwit professor involved in the University of Missouri scandal just posted this on twitter. Jesus Christ.
Doesn't look legit.
she/her. (Pronouns vary over time.) The artist formerly known as Objective/Cinder.

One True Polycule with flame99 <3

Descan

• Bay Watcher
  • [HEADING INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #89759 on: November 11, 2015, 03:08:27 pm »

Joined in November of 2015, puts "Social Justice Warrior" on their profile? Yeah. Probably a troll. Not to mention the tweets :P
Quote from: SalmonGod
Your innocent viking escapades for canadian social justice and immortality make my flagellum wiggle, too.
Quote from: Myroc
Descan confirmed for antichrist.
Quote from: LeoLeonardoIII
I wonder if any of us don't love Descan.
Pages: 1 ... 5982 5983 [5984] 5985 5986 ... 10983