Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6569 6570 [6571] 6572 6573 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13188313 times)

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #98550 on: March 16, 2016, 12:03:06 pm »

I remember an anthropology teacher of mine saying something about historically (In the very early stages of Fertile Crescent, Nile and Indus River Valley civilizations) second cousin marriage was standard and traditional in order to preserve property within a group and strengthen family bonds and alliances. Not surprising it's survived in a few areas... specifically Sudan being part of the Nile system and Pakistan holding part of the Indus valley.

Kot

• Bay Watcher
  • 2 Patriotic 4 U
    • View Profile
    • Tiny Pixel Soldiers
« Reply #98551 on: March 16, 2016, 12:05:51 pm »

Wouldn't size and low population density actually encourage incest?
More population - less chance, and since most population is in cities these days it evens out, I guess. Also, your point is why I'm also really sceptical of Russia being so incest-free.
Kot finishes his morning routine in the same way he always does, by burning a scale replica of Saint Basil's Cathedral on the windowsill.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #98552 on: March 16, 2016, 12:06:35 pm »

I always knew the Canadians were degenerates.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #98553 on: March 16, 2016, 12:08:46 pm »

I always knew the Canadians were degenerates.
Now, now, let's not be too hasty here, they're just... loving their neighbour. Who happens to be a second cousin.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98554 on: March 16, 2016, 01:24:24 pm »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5zxzReGnXlY
Hey crazy gynophobia monkey again with funfacts!
Did you know that abusing your woman will make her love and respect you more?
(And certainly not leave you looking for a less abusive partner.)
I have no idea why Youtube started suggesting me his videos but i already told YT to cut the monkey crap.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #98555 on: March 16, 2016, 01:59:02 pm »

I remember an anthropology teacher of mine saying something about historically (In the very early stages of Fertile Crescent, Nile and Indus River Valley civilizations) second cousin marriage was standard and traditional in order to preserve property within a group and strengthen family bonds and alliances. Not surprising it's survived in a few areas... specifically Sudan being part of the Nile system and Pakistan holding part of the Indus valley.
Who knows for sure

I do know from our Pakistani communities that it's more from rural emigres who've not had their culture globalized much so maybe

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98556 on: March 16, 2016, 02:44:30 pm »

Spoiler: Aw yiss (click to show/hide)

So, uh, cousin marriage thing: its a cultural holdover from medieval customs that still persists in many rural communities, altough it is a lot less common in the west (today, at least) than say, middle east and asia, overall. My american chinese friend's grandmother told him of the village she came from, and apparently there's a tradition in some places of family clans choosing to intermarry almost exclusively among the two of them, because they have a business together or something. She also said families with more then one girl would often marry them both to the same man, if they're around the same age, and specially if they're twins.

It also isn't uncommon among traditional muslim families, I hear.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2016, 02:48:04 pm by TempAcc »
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98557 on: March 16, 2016, 03:04:51 pm »

Nngh I'm getting really antsy.  I think I rebalanced my sleep schedule, mostly, but I have a massive pile of work due Friday.  I should be working on it now but my RP group is starting in a minute.  I should have worked on it since Monday but it's so big I kept dreading it and putting it off, and staying up late doing nothing.  The human brain, ladies and gentlemen.  (Also I was sick)

I'm kinda dreading and also looking forward to tonight and tomorrow.  With the deadline looming, I am going to be in the ZONE for hours.  Always feels amazing, I just can't trigger it without looming pressure.  Good thing this particular project is just mind-numbingly tedious and slow, because I will have little need or time for puny mortal sleep.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

itisnotlogical

• Bay Watcher
  • might be dat boi
    • View Profile
« Reply #98558 on: March 16, 2016, 03:22:20 pm »

I've heard the same CC0 royalty-free music track on a couple different videos on YouTube and it's really aggravating me for some reason. It's just three guitar chords being strummed in different orders, occasionally with a few absent-minded organ keys. It's not like there isn't any good CC0 or CC-BY music out there.
This game is Curtain Fire Shooting Game.
Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #98559 on: March 16, 2016, 04:38:34 pm »

I just got a five match long CS:GO lesson on the history of Bugatti, the Tucker Torpedo, and Voisin.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98560 on: March 16, 2016, 05:38:04 pm »

Looks like I'm gonna have to watch Shark Exorcist.

Also I had a dream where I was browsing a secondhand store, but ended up being mistaken for this serial shoplifter who'd been hitting all the secondhand stores in the area and somehow remained uncaught due to knowing where all the security cameras were. Apparently the moment where I glanced up at a camera in the store was very suspicious.
When I went to leave I was quite dramatically arrested, along with my mother who was apparently there too. Then I woke up.

...Oh well, at least I remembered part of a dream for once. (There was an earlier part/dream that I don't remember.)
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #98561 on: March 16, 2016, 05:41:20 pm »

Freudian fear of stealing from the poor you feel guilt over your privileged position but repress it so as not to condemn your parents - man, this stuff writes itself. I could be a (dodgy and unprofessional) internet psychoanalyst.
One wheel short of a wagon

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #98562 on: March 16, 2016, 06:04:03 pm »

Here because no idea where else I'd post it other than making a new thread. Shit is going down in Brasília.

In short, this afternoon, the Federal Police recorded a conversation between former ex-president Lula (that the government wants to turn into a minister so he can be judged at the supreme court (that is made up of judges appointed by the president) and the president herself where they basically admit it is solely for obstruction of justice (thus admitting guilt). And this tape has been released now.

Big crowd (and growing) in front of the Presidential Palace. President left it and went who knows where. She was already the least popular president ever not counting the military dictators (because who knows how popular they were when they controlled all census data), and that is saying a lot considering that former president Collor got impeached. Now? Now she committed political suicide.

This is from earlier, and all I could find in english.

More stuff in portuguese.

More delicious lusophone sources.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
  • OKAY, FINE.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98563 on: March 16, 2016, 06:50:47 pm »

Well, that sounds exciting/scary. Stay safe! Unless you want to get in on the action yourself, I suppose.

In my own WTF: My beloved jeans, despite the recent "unauthorised washing" incident that caused such controversy on the forums, seem to have kept some of their familiar grimy texture and stench, even if it is somewhat less potent and mixed with some form of laundry liquid scent. And my favourite stains have remained intact, too! This makes me slightly less devastated about the whole ordeal... but I still can't in good faith throw them a birthday party now that they've been washed. :'(

Suppose I'll just have to remember the date and wait another year before doing so.
At least this gives me more time to plan the party. I'm still not going to be visiting the ones responsible again any time soon, though.
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #98564 on: March 16, 2016, 06:58:11 pm »

Here because no idea where else I'd post it other than making a new thread. Shit is going down in Brasília.

In short, this afternoon, the Federal Police recorded a conversation between former ex-president Lula (that the government wants to turn into a minister so he can be judged at the supreme court (that is made up of judges appointed by the president) and the president herself where they basically admit it is solely for obstruction of justice (thus admitting guilt). And this tape has been released now.

Big crowd (and growing) in front of the Presidential Palace. President left it and went who knows where. She was already the least popular president ever not counting the military dictators (because who knows how popular they were when they controlled all census data), and that is saying a lot considering that former president Collor got impeached. Now? Now she committed political suicide.

This is from earlier, and all I could find in english.

More stuff in portuguese.

More delicious lusophone sources.

AW YISS
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.
Pages: 1 ... 6569 6570 [6571] 6572 6573 ... 10983