Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6590 6591 [6592] 6593 6594 ... 10984

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13204738 times)

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #98865 on: March 21, 2016, 03:37:50 pm »

The problem with Wikipedia, as I've said before, isn't that anybody can edit it - unsourced garbage usually gets quickly deleted, and there is usually a jarring tonal shift to mark it so you really shouldn't have much trouble filtering out anything like that even before it gets deleted. The trouble is that it is almost impossible to get rid of information that comes from a bad source, as going to primary sources to correct an error is Original Research and strictly forbidden. Thus, unless you are a published expert in your field, anything that we "know" to be true is going to stay, because you not only need a professional secondary source to back up a claim, unless that secondary source explicitly states that "Source [X] is in error" you'll wind up with an edit war or else an "experts disagree".
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98866 on: March 21, 2016, 03:40:57 pm »

Well no, primary sources aren't of themselves OR, are they?
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #98867 on: March 21, 2016, 03:41:59 pm »

First WTF is someone playing Dino Crisis on Twitch.

Second WTF is the Swiss guy playing it soooo badly :|
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

Lord Shonus

• Bay Watcher
  • Angle of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #98868 on: March 21, 2016, 03:46:06 pm »

Well no, primary sources aren't of themselves OR, are they?

Looking at them and making a wikipedia edit sourced to them is.
On Giant In the Playground and Something Awful I am Gnoman.
Man, ninja'd by a potentially inebriated Lord Shonus. I was gonna say to burn it.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98869 on: March 21, 2016, 03:49:18 pm »

The problem with Wikipedia, as I've said before, isn't that anybody can edit it - unsourced garbage usually gets quickly deleted, and there is usually a jarring tonal shift to mark it so you really shouldn't have much trouble filtering out anything like that even before it gets deleted. The trouble is that it is almost impossible to get rid of information that comes from a bad source, as going to primary sources to correct an error is Original Research and strictly forbidden. Thus, unless you are a published expert in your field, anything that we "know" to be true is going to stay, because you not only need a professional secondary source to back up a claim, unless that secondary source explicitly states that "Source [X] is in error" you'll wind up with an edit war or else an "experts disagree".

The other is what I call "Political editing"

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98870 on: March 21, 2016, 05:05:44 pm »

Database why.

We have two servers; one is a live server, one is a virtual server for testing.

Live server accepts emoji/4 byte character input.

Dev server will not despite being set up exactly the same as the live server. WHY. WHY DO YOU TELL ME THE STRING IS INCORRECT.

Even worse, I can manually insert the emoji just fine ... but the procedure - which mind you is exactly the same as on the live server - fails. I guess I should be glad that it's working properly on live but what the everloving fuck.
Call me Vari. It's easier to type.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #98871 on: March 21, 2016, 05:13:22 pm »

Maybe it has a new bug the live doesn't.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98872 on: March 21, 2016, 05:37:27 pm »

Honestly, the only thing I can think is that it's an issue with Virtualbox, since we're just using a small vbox setup for the initial coding/testing of various things before we push it to the tester side of live. I've checked everything else - every configuration is exactly the same (minus, what, worker threads, since the vbox doesn't have the same cores our live does, and ram settings of course). The versions of everything are the same. They both have the same packages, the same libraries, the same everything.

Augh. I'm gonna tear my hair out before the night's over. That or just say screw it to proper character support which I can't do but I can pretend I can.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98873 on: March 21, 2016, 05:52:14 pm »

Have you tried taking the relevant code, pressing CTRL-C, backspace, and then CTRL-V?
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

variablenonsense

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98874 on: March 21, 2016, 06:52:24 pm »

Probably. It worked when we were debugging something else.  :P

We removed a function, tested, then put it back exactly the same in another issue ... which solved the problem for a period of time, leading us to figure out where the actual bug was. That was another wtf moment actually. Development is pretty wtf.

Maybe I should just turn the server off and back on again.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98875 on: March 21, 2016, 08:35:17 pm »

It's gaining sentience and judging folk :o
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98876 on: March 21, 2016, 08:46:12 pm »

Apparently someone on this page has an avatar that links to a site that Malwarebytes doesn't like.

EDIT: Last page, then.
Huh?  I don't see it.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #98877 on: March 21, 2016, 09:08:22 pm »

My MWB didn't flag anything.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Sonlirain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98878 on: March 21, 2016, 10:20:12 pm »

I swear one of the lamps on my street hates me.
Every time i pass under it it goes dark... and it's getting worse.
Earlier today i went to the market for some groceries and took a look at that accursed lamp and it fizzled out the second i looked at it... from the other side of the street.
Worse still as i was going back home i passed under it and predictably it went out as usual... but as i continued down the street the following lamp went out as well.

I swear those street lamps are plotting against me.
"If you make something idiot proof, someone will just make a better idiot."
Self promotion below.
I have a mostly dead youtube channel.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98879 on: March 21, 2016, 10:21:29 pm »

Or you're just so electrifying my awesome you have an aura that freaks out unshielded circuits.

Pages: 1 ... 6590 6591 [6592] 6593 6594 ... 10984