Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6594 6595 [6596] 6597 6598 ... 10983

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13175582 times)

Rolan7

• Bay Watcher
  • [GUE'VESA][BONECARN]
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #98925 on: March 22, 2016, 02:22:21 pm »

I guess the trick is supposed to be that you can't split a square into 200 equally-sized squares...
So either you go 15x15 for 225 pieces and let people have seconds if they want...  Or if everyone has to get the exact same amount of cake, make some appropriately sized rectangles.  Like slicing 9 times one direction and 19 times the other, for pieces that are twice as long as they're wide.

Or lay the cake on its edge and sliver off 200 wafer-thin 20in x 20in sheets.  Management gets the frosting.
She/they
No justice: no peace.
Quote from: Fallen London, one Unthinkable Hope
This one didn't want to be who they was. On the Surface – it was a dull, unconsidered sadness. But everything changed. Which implied everything could change.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98926 on: March 22, 2016, 02:27:15 pm »

Yeah, it really seems more like the kind of question where they aren't neccesarily looking at your answer, but how you say it. Basically, what do the intervewers want to hear.

Still, from what Truean said, it sounded like the questions weren't even in the context of the job they were trying to apply for. Exponentially dividing algae (that one reads exactly like a question you'd find in a math book), something about ping-pong balls, and dividing up a cake and all that.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2016, 02:30:15 pm by smjjames »

Truean

• Bay Watcher
  • Ok.... [sigh] It froze over....
    • View Profile
« Reply #98927 on: March 22, 2016, 02:38:04 pm »

It was for a financial analyst position, which had nothing to do with either cake or algae, believe it or not. And, yeah the pond thing was a logarithmic question, but meh.

It was a log math question on the algae. The cake one was a division one, or at worst a weighted averages question, but a terribly bad one. If it was a weighted average question, then they were going for something like some people want 3 pieces, more people want 2, and the majority will want 1, with some wanting none. The problem is that it's an asinine example with no relational bearing to the real world.

You'd have something like this:

3 pieces : W
2 pieces : X
1 piece  : Y
0 pieces : Z

Even then that sucks, because there's no way to know any kind of weight. What do you do? Assume most people want 1 piece, or is it a tasty cake with more people wanting 2? How do you figure in how many want 0?

It's just a bad question. It's a coin flip if I get this job or not if that test is any indication.
The kinda human wreckage that you love

Current Spare Time Fiction Project: (C) 2010 http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=63660.0
Disclaimer: I never take cases online for ethical reasons. If you require an attorney; you need to find one licensed to practice in your jurisdiction. Never take anything online as legal advice, because each case is different and one size does not fit all. Wants nothing at all to do with law.

Please don't quote me.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #98928 on: March 22, 2016, 02:50:03 pm »

There's something I do for unspecific questions where what is required is not entirely clear, when I have extra time on a paper (Nasty imperfect sciences we hates them):

WRITE AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE ABOUT ANYTHING OF RELATION.

While that may not work for you, what with the post involving financial analysis not spin doctoring, would you have had time to write what you just wrote? I know little about financial analysis positions, but a reasoned attitude to how one might approach a the problem if one had any data at all might go down well.
One wheel short of a wagon

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98929 on: March 22, 2016, 03:35:31 pm »

Lessee...
the algae is money
the ping-pong ball is money in offshore accounts
the cake is gov't bailout money after the next crash
Bam. Finance, baby.

/shitpost
Sounds like they were mostly interested in your ability to bullshit off the top of your head? I don't know much about financial analysis, so I don't know how much of that goes on.

That's an abbreviation of emoticon.

Why do I know so much about this?
What no, people using it that way are wrong.  An emote is like *shakes head* or *shouts at cloud*.  Often by using /emote or /me.
'Emote' is an actual American English verb. It means "to show emotion, often in an expressive or overly exaggerated manner." Actors on stage emote, etc.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98930 on: March 22, 2016, 03:43:07 pm »

If the cake is 400 squinches and you have 200 people, then everyone gets 1.9900497512437810945273631840796 squinches of cake, because with you added that is 201 people.

In a similar line of questioning, if you have a train going southbound at 182 degrees Fahrenheit, with a turtle on top walking backwards and a snail on top of the turtle going forwards, how long until Hati devours the moon, signaling the beginning of Ragnarok?

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #98931 on: March 22, 2016, 04:01:55 pm »

In a similar line of questioning, if you have a train going southbound at 182 degrees Fahrenheit, with a turtle on top walking backwards and a snail on top of the turtle going forwards, how long until Hati devours the moon, signaling the beginning of Ragnarok?
Yes.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98932 on: March 22, 2016, 04:02:13 pm »

Yes.
Pie.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98933 on: March 22, 2016, 04:16:22 pm »

Search using that image itself, unless that's what you're doing.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

NJW2000

• Bay Watcher
  • You know me. What do I know?
    • View Profile
« Reply #98934 on: March 22, 2016, 04:27:53 pm »

Screenshot it?
One wheel short of a wagon

redwallzyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98935 on: March 22, 2016, 04:37:16 pm »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #98936 on: March 22, 2016, 04:38:06 pm »

Y?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #98937 on: March 22, 2016, 04:39:26 pm »

Presumably because GO didn't copy-paste the image into a separate file and then use that for the reverse image search. Or drag-n-drop it to imgur or some other, similar site for the upload, then use the hosted image with TinEye.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #98938 on: March 22, 2016, 04:45:18 pm »

Y?
Best way to stop people from getting shot is to give them guns
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #98939 on: March 22, 2016, 04:47:14 pm »

Y?
Best way to stop people from getting shot is to give them guns
HOW?! I'd rather give them armor.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.
Pages: 1 ... 6594 6595 [6596] 6597 6598 ... 10983