Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6597 6598 [6599] 6600 6601 ... 10984

Author Topic: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O  (Read 13202909 times)

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
Re: Things that made you go "WTF?" today o_O
« Reply #98970 on: March 22, 2016, 06:30:20 pm »

So what we've learned here today is that America sucks.
Which, truth be told, is not that surprising. Any huge country, with its tons of people, is bound to have way more crazies than tiny baby-sized states of Europe.
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #98971 on: March 22, 2016, 06:33:29 pm »

The worldview of "I need a gun, so that when I am inevitably mugged/assaulted/robbed/whatever'd and the incompetent police never show up, I can kill my assailant," is an inherently pessimistic one, and moreover, one which flirts dangerously with the delusional Death Wish power fantasy. I could accept owning a firearm for self defense if lax gun owners weren't a major source of weapons for criminals, suicides, and mass shooters, and if the attitude of the same wasn't so often the aforementioned self-image of the righteous citizen in a world gone mad.

Most of the core motivations for gun ownership would not exist if our society wasn't so dead-set on criminalizing self-harming behavior, preventing criminals from rejoining society after their release, maintaining a gap in services and opportunities which prevents large numbers of people from attaining gainful legal employment, keeping police bigoted and focused on meeting quotas rather than protecting the citizenry, &c. ad nausem. But it's more important to let people comfort themselves with the mental image of killing another human being in cold blood than to fix any of those problems, right?

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

CURRENTYEAR

• Bay Watcher
  • Because it's 2016!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98972 on: March 22, 2016, 06:34:24 pm »

Which, truth be told, is not that surprising. Any huge country, with its tons of people, is bound to have way more crazies than tiny baby-sized states of Europe.
The problem is, going into several of the reasons why America is this way is (I imagine) a violation of several forum rules.
NOT BRAZILIAN

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98973 on: March 22, 2016, 06:34:59 pm »

We have equally many. We just distribute them differently over time.
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

CURRENTYEAR

• Bay Watcher
  • Because it's 2016!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98974 on: March 22, 2016, 06:35:41 pm »

We have equally many. We just distribute them differently over time.
Excuse me, new guy here, is discussion of racial statistics considered haram?
NOT BRAZILIAN

Helgoland

• Bay Watcher
  • No man is an island.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98975 on: March 22, 2016, 06:36:14 pm »

I make a Hitler joke, and you ask that?
The Bay12 postcard club
Arguably he's already a progressive, just one in the style of an enlightened Kaiser.
I'm going to do the smart thing here and disengage. This isn't a hill I paticularly care to die on.

CURRENTYEAR

• Bay Watcher
  • Because it's 2016!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98976 on: March 22, 2016, 06:39:02 pm »

I make a Hitler joke, and you ask that?
Oh, that was a Hitler joke? Went entirely over my head.

I am wondering, though, if I can bring up demographic differences without having to play "Banhammer Whackamole" as the mole.
NOT BRAZILIAN

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98977 on: March 22, 2016, 06:41:10 pm »

The problem is, going into several of the reasons why America is this way is (I imagine) a violation of several forum rules.
Le Rules

Does going into those regions involve insulting other members, using bigoted language, spamming, intentional derailing, or involve illegal or sexual materials? If not, you are good to go.

Depends on the context. Usually not unless the source is obviously bigoted and calls african-americans "niggas" and other such offensive terms.

The thing with racial statistics regarding crime is that often people with certain skin colours make the bulk of the poor, and poverty itself leads to crime.

I am wondering, though, if I can bring up demographic differences without having to play "Banhammer Whackamole" as the mole.
Usually the Toad will tell you to stop before applying the banhammer, unless it's something heinous.
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Lenglon

• Bay Watcher
  • Everyone cries, the question is what follows it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #98978 on: March 22, 2016, 06:47:09 pm »

I'ma just drop this link here and point out that discussing various gun policies might work better if you compare actual gun polices instead of hypothetical ones.

And could people please stop insulting the police or pretending that their job is an easy one? It'd be one thing if they could teleport, were omniscient, and never had to deal with basic human needs and limitations... but that's not the world we live in. I've seen it from both sides, and I don't like it from anyone.
((I don't think heating something that is right above us to a ridiculous degree is very smart. Worst case scenario we become +metal statues+. This is a finely crafted metal statue. It is encrusted with sharkmist and HMRC. On the item is an image of HMRC and Pancaek. Pancaek is laughing. The HMRC is melting. The artwork relates to the encasing of the HMRC in metal by Pancaek during the Mission of Many People.))

CURRENTYEAR

• Bay Watcher
  • Because it's 2016!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98979 on: March 22, 2016, 06:49:59 pm »

Le Rules

Does going into those regions involve insulting other members, using bigoted language, spamming, intentional derailing, or involve illegal or sexual materials? If not, you are good to go.

Depends on the context. Usually not unless the source is obviously bigoted and calls african-americans "niggas" and other such offensive terms.

The thing with racial statistics regarding crime is that often people with certain skin colours make the bulk of the poor, and poverty itself leads to crime.

Usually the Toad will tell you to stop before applying the banhammer, unless it's something heinous.
Not gonna go full redpill right now, but

I think I'll leave this thread be, I don't wanna get stuck.
NOT BRAZILIAN

Orange Wizard

• Bay Watcher
  • mou ii yo
    • View Profile
    • S M U G
« Reply #98980 on: March 22, 2016, 06:53:48 pm »

Kek. European Union has 500 million people and is somehow much safer (happier, better educated, and has lower poverty) than the US. Population argument doesn't work. Neither does the racial/cultural diversity argument.
Please don't shitpost, it lowers the quality of discourse
Hard science is like a sword, and soft science is like fear. You can use both to equally powerful results, but even if your opponent disbelieve your stabs, they will still die.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98981 on: March 22, 2016, 06:57:51 pm »

Kek. European Union has 500 million people and is somehow much safer than the US. Population argument doesn't work. Neither does the racial/cultural diversity argument.
Isn't the European population concentrated in a relatively small area rather than spread over an, again, huge area? It's far easier to implement proper education and healthcare, both things that tend to reduce crime, in small area (because, unless the EU has finally subsumed the national governments, each nation-state still handles such things by themselves).

CURRENTYEAR

• Bay Watcher
  • Because it's 2016!
    • View Profile
« Reply #98982 on: March 22, 2016, 06:58:31 pm »

Kek. European Union has 500 million people and is somehow much safer than the US. Population argument doesn't work. Neither does the racial/cultural diversity argument.
Isn't the European population concentrated in a relatively small area rather than spread over an, again, huge area? It's far easier to implement proper education and healthcare, both things that tend to reduce crime, in small area (because, unless the EU has finally subsumed the national governments, each nation-state still handles such things by themselves).
Plus, err, demographic differences, although the EU seems intent on importing their own violent minority.
NOT BRAZILIAN

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #98983 on: March 22, 2016, 06:58:39 pm »

Le Rules

Not gonna go full redpill right now, but

I think I'll leave this thread be, I don't wanna get stuck.
Yeah, you can happily move this over to the Ameripol thread, where we can verbally dismember you and leave your rotting corpse for the wolves. No need to messy up this thread with your remains.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

hector13

• Bay Watcher
  • It’s shite being Scottish
    • View Profile
« Reply #98984 on: March 22, 2016, 06:59:15 pm »

E-sports on TV. On fucking Fox.

WTF ending too. Dude scored two goals in 30 seconds to win the game on away goals.
Look, we need to raise a psychopath who will murder God, we have no time to be spending on cooking.

the way your fingertips plant meaningless soliloquies makes me think you are the true evil among us.
Pages: 1 ... 6597 6598 [6599] 6600 6601 ... 10984